Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Trip Reports

Old 26th June 2011, 11:37 AM

Default Trip Report: TT BNE-MEL-BNE (Photos)

Morning all,

Just over a week ago I went to Melbourne for the day thanks to Tiger Airways extremely low fares

I have done four daytrips, one to Rockhampton (December 2010) and two to Sydney (March and May 2011), so I thought that for my next trip I should go down to Melbourne. Four airlines fly from Melbourne to Brisbane, Qantas, Virgin, Jetstar and Tiger. At first I was planning on flying with Jetstar to MEL on an A321 for the first time which was $69 and then back on Virgin costing $79, so all up including taxes it would have been over $150, a very good price, but I thought I could do better, so I left it for the time being. And my waiting paid off, in late May just before my second trip to Sydney I was doing my usual look on the net for cheap flights and on the Tiger Airways website I saw that they were doing flights where you just pay taxes, and BNE-MEL was $22!! Tiger Airways fly from Brisbane to Melbourne three times a day, so I wanted to fly on the early morning flight to MEL (TT5203) and return to Brisbane on the late afternoon flight (TT5206) this would give me four and a half hours in Melbourne.

So I had to find a day where I could do this and the first day I looked up (June 18) I could . So I asked my parents if I could go down to Melbourne and they said yes. I decided to leave booking the trip until the next day, so ask could ask my friend Josh if he wanted to do another daytrip. So I asked him at school the next day and he said he would like to go, so that night he asked his parents and they said yes. So that night we booked, we would be flying on TT5203 departing Brisbane at 0855 and arriving in Melbourne at 1120 and TT5206 departing Melbourne at 1550 and arriving in Brisbane at 1800, and all up including the credit card fee and seat selection fee it cost just over $70!!! I was looking forward it.

About a week before the trip Josh started getting nervous as he had never flown Tiger and had heard bad things about however I told him they were fine and that it would be a great trip. The night before the trip I decided to go on to the Melbourne Airport website to see if our flight was on-time, and unfortunately it was an hour and a half late, this shortened our time in Melbourne down to about 3 hours Originally we were going to go in to Melbourne and have a walk around but with the delay I let Josh know and said that we should give it a miss. As I wasn't sure if we would have enough time, we would have to wait for the bus, then the 20 minute bus ride there and back and we needed to be back at the airport an hour before the flight so we wouldn't have had much time in the city.

June 18th, the day had arrived, I woke up at about 6am, made sure I had everything packed and ready for my quick trip, also had another look at the MEL website and the flight was still an hour and a half late. Left the house at 7am and arrived at the airport at about 7:30am and said goodbye to mum. The original departure time was 0855 but this was now 1020, so I could have left the house later but I thought I would get to the airport about an hour before the original departure time just incase. Met Josh at the Qantas end of the terminal, went straight to security as we had already done the online check-in and up to the boarding gates.

First up we went to the Qantas end of the terminal where we found Boeing 737-800 VH-VXD (QF981 to ASP) at Gate 19, a Boeing 737 at Gate 20 however I can't remember the reg, might have been VH-TJZ off to Canberra, Boeing 737-400 VH-TJF (QF661 to ADL, flown on her from CBR-BNE back in 2007 ) at Gate 21, Boeing 737-800 VH-VYL (QF509 to SYD) at Gate 22 and Boeing 767-300ERs VH-OGJ (QF513 to SYD), VH-OGS (QF651 to PER) and VH-OGK (QF589 to PER) at Gate's 23, 24 and 25 respectively. There were also others but I didn't get any photos of them and I can't remember the rego's, I think one of them was the very new Boeing 737-800 VH-VZM off to Mt Isa, I think there was also another B737.

Next we went down to the Virgin end where we found Boeing 737-700 VH-VBJ (had the whole day off) at an off bay and Embraer 190 VH-ZPL (DJ702 to Hobart) at a gate. I think there was one or two other aircraft but I didn't get photos of them and can't remember the rego's. So after looking around both the Qantas and Virgin ends of the terminal I went to the comon user section where I would be boarding my flight to MEL. Aircraft parked at the common user section included, Jetstar Airbus A320s VH-JQX (JQ811 to SYD), VH-VQI (JQ830 to PPP), VH-VQK (JQ561 to MEL) and Strategic Airlines Airbus A320 VH-YQA (VC2010 to PER, re-positioning?), I also noted brand new Virgin Australia Boeing 737-800 VH-YFF over at the Virgin hangars.

So Josh and myself found a seat facing the runway and did some spotting waiting for our flight. Noteworthy aircraft included Emirates Boeing 777-300ER A6-ECQ (EK434 to AKL), Qantaslink Q400 VH-QOW 'Dubbo Zoo livery' (QF2403 from EMD), Etihad Airways Airbus A330-200 A6-EYG (EY470 from AUH via SIN), Air New Zealand Airbus A320 ZK-OJN (NZ828 to DUD), Eva Air Airbus A330-200 B-16309 (BR315 from TPE), Norfolk Air Boeing 737-300 VH-NLK (ON334 from NLK), Singapore Airlines Airbus A330-300 9V-STQ (SQ256 to SIN) and Jetconnect Boeing 737-800 ZK-ZQE (QF123 to AKL). Anyway, enough talking for now, time for some photos.

Qantas B763 VH-OGS at Gate 24 being prepared for her five and a half hour jouney to Perth later on in the morning

Qantaslink Dash 8-300 VH-TQY arrives with brand new Virgin Australia Boeing 737-800 VH-YFF in the background at the Virgin hangars

Four Qantas tails (from closest to furthest), B738 VH-VYL and B763's VH-OGJ, VH-OGS and VH-OGK

Virgin Blue E190 VH-ZPL and B737 VH-VBJ

Emirates B77W A6-ECQ taxies out to RWY19 for departure to Auckland

Etihad Airways A332 A6-EYG arrives from Abu Dhabi via Singapore

Eva Air A332 B-16309 arrives from Taipei

I managed to get good photos of Etihad and Eva as Josh was on balus using his iPhone so when they landed I was ready, I had a look on his iPhone to see if TT5202 from MEL was on yet as this aircraft would then fly us to MEL. It was, and it was VH-VNC, my second timeon this a/c. At about 0930, VH-VNC touched down on RWY19, just over an hour late, must have made up some time in the air. Singapore Airlines A333 9V-STF (SQ255 from SIN) arrived shortly after the tiger. Here are some more photos.

Tiger Airways Australia Airbus A320 VH-VNC arrives on RWY19

VH-VNC at Gate 32 with Jetstar Airbus A321 VH-VWT (JQ560 from MEL) in the background

Just before 10am, the first boarding call was made for boardmefirst passengers and passengers with children or passengers needed assistance boarding, followed by passengers in the back 10 rows and then the rest of us Saw Air Niugini B763 P2-PXW taxing out to RWY19 whilst boarding

Last edited by Brandon Giacomin; 26th June 2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 26th June 2011, 11:38 AM

June 18, 2011
Tiger Airways Australia
TT5203
BNE-MEL
VH-VNC
Seat 7A

Had our boarding passes scanned and we were on our way out to the aircraft. Managed to get some good photos boarding the plane.

Walking out to the aircraft, there was a bit of a hold up boarding the plane

Nearly there

Up the stairs

Onboard in Seat 7A, with Josh next to me in 7B, the flight was full, VH-VUV is the Virgin B738

Taxiing out to RWY19, as we were taxiing I saw VH-YFC arrive from Townsville, no photos unfortunately so I just hoped that she would come to MEL later today

Passing the loop

On the runway ready to go

Powering down RWY19 passing all the hangars

Here is a video Josh took of the take off
http://www.youtube.com/user/Joshmati...12/tI9jt0Xj5uY

Airbourne passing Qantas Hangar 1, RAAF A330 down there

Qantas Hangar 2, a couple Dash 8's down there

Qantas Hangar 3, just a B734

Brisbane River and the port

Passing over the southside, can see North Stradbroke

The Gold Coast

Over some lovely mountains
Old 26th June 2011, 11:39 AM

Cruising over NSW at 34 000ft

Once we got to our cruising altitude the food trolley came through, for the first with Tiger Airways I purchased something, I got the Chicken wrap and coke. The chicken wrap was very nice, it costs $11 which isn't really to bad, I had a look at some of the restaurants at Brisbane Airport before the flight and they were all around the same price.

Descending in to Melbourne

On finals for RWY27 passing the city, also saw Essendon Airport

Nearly down passing T1 Qantas/Jetstar Domestic

Almost there, passing T2 International

And were down

Here is a video Josh took of the landing
http://www.youtube.com/user/Joshmati...11/_wYVD3WAJlk

Melbourne Airport's current control tower and new control tower

Taxiing to the Tiger terminal, passing Qantas A380 VH-OQE and Singapore B744 9V-SPO

Thai Airways B773 HS-TKF

Royal Brunei B772 V8-BLE

At the gate, lots of REX saab's including the 'City of Wagga Wagga' plane

Interested aircraft I noted whilst taxiing that I haven't posted photos of include Emirates Boeing 777-300ER A6-ECD, China Southern Airbus A330-300 B-6098, Virgin Australia Boeing 737-800 VH-YFE (all white) and Southern Air Boeing 747-200F N765SA.

So that was the end of my flight to MEL, a part from being an hour late it was a very good flight, the f/a’s were very friendly, food was nice, flight was very smooth and comfortable. This is probably the longest flight I would do with Tiger, on flights longer than this it wouldn’t be very comfortable and of course, no inflight entertainment. But I thoroughly enjoyed the flight and would definitely fly Tiger again to MEL.

Spotting in Melbourne

We left the Tiger terminal and walked to T1, I had heard that it is a long walk from T4 to all the other terminals but it isn’t bad at all, only about 5 minutes to T3 and then another 2 minutes down to T2 and T1. Went through security with no problems and we went up to the boarding gates to see what we could find. Time for some more photos.

The Tiger Tower

First aircraft I noted was Boeing 737-400 VH-TJJ also at T1 was Boeing 737-800 VH-VYC then I moved over to the furthest part of the terminal where I saw Jetstar Airbus A320 VH-VQU and Airbus A321 VH-VWT which followed us from Brisbane, Qantas Airbus A330-200 VH-EBM and Boeing 767-300ER VH-OGV, there was also a Q400 but I didn’t get the registration. Also saw Jetconnect Boeing 737-400 ZK-JTQ, Cathay Pacific Airbus A330-300 B-LAF, Qantas Airbus A380 VH-OQE and Singapore Airlines Boeing 747-400 9V-SPO parked over at T2. More photos!

T2 - International

Qantas A332 VH-EBM

Qantas B763 VH-OGV arriving at the gate
Old 26th June 2011, 11:41 AM

Jetstar A321 VH-VWT

Ok so after we had seen everything we wanted to see at T1 we walked over to T3 (Virgin/Rex terminal). Found it strange that there is two security check points, one at each end of the terminal, at the second one, at the REX end I was randomly checked for explosives, first time I had been checked. Usually happens to my parents I could see Malaysian Airlines B772 9M-MRF or P, can’t remember, over at T2, must have just arrived. Times for some more photos.

Virgin Blue E170 VH-ZHD

Virgin Blue B738 VH-VUT next to Virgin Australia B738 VH-YFC who followed us from BNE

VH-YFC nearly ready to taxi out to RWY27, think she was off to Sydney

Royal Netherlands Air Force DC-10 T-255 taxiing out to RWY27

REX Saab 340 VH-RXE at her gate

Qantas B744 VH-OJF gets towed to T2

Virgin Blue B738 VH-VUZ comes into her gate

After seeing VUZ come in it was time to return to T4 for the flight home to Brisbane. I was hoping that this flight would be on-time. I noticed that VH-VNC had stayed at T4, I think VH-VNH was here when we arrived but had since departed and VH-VNO arrived but also left, so I thought that it would be VH-VNC for my third time now, unless another Tiger aircraft had arrive while we were walking to T4. So I would just have to wait. Here are some more photos.

T4 Tiger Airways

The Check-in area, seen it heaps of times in the show ‘Airways’

Departure lounge, there are a couple hundred seats down at the gates

Our flight was to depart on-time and soon the boarding call was made and Josh and myself lined up at Gate 3. Hade our boarding passes checked and made our way out to the aircraft.
Old 26th June 2011, 11:42 AM

June 18, 2011
Tiger Airways Australia
TT5206
MEL-BNE
VH-VNC
Seat 16A

Only one Tiger Airways plane was parked out on the apron and I knew it was VH-VNC, so my third time on her. Walked out to the aircraft, managed to get some good photos again and on to the aircraft, made my way down the plane and to seat 16A, the second time I have sat in this exact seat! Was on VH-VNC in 16A back in March from BNE-SYD Time for some more photos.

Walking out to VH-VNC for the second time today

Nearly there

On-board in 16A, saw VH-OQE depart as QF9 off the main runway

As we were about to push back one of the f/a’s told me to put my camera in my bag and put my bag in the overhead locker, never been asked to do that before Luckily I had my iPod in my pocket so I just used that

Taxiing out, passing the Southern Air B742F

9V-SPO rotates

Both Josh and I took a video of the take off, his turned out better but I will show both

Josh’s
http://www.youtube.com/user/Joshmati.../8/3TcNg1YSIgU

Mine
http://www.youtube.com/user/brandong.../2/mDtTB89TE24

As soon as the seatbelt sign was switched off I got Josh to grab my bag, Inside VH-VNC, quite a few empty seats on this flight

Sun starts going down, cruising at 37 000ft

Wasn’t a very good sunset

This is as good as it got

Speed brake as we start our decent

That was the last photo I managed to get in the air as it was too dark. Think we went in to a holding pattern just south of the Gold Coast. Had lots of turns and I had no idea where we were thought we were going to land on RWY01, but then I saw the runway and the port so we would be landing on RWY19.

Last edited by Brandon Giacomin; 26th June 2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 26th June 2011, 11:43 AM

Videos of the landing

Josh’s
http://www.youtube.com/user/Joshmati...14/C0mFVwFWOMo

Mine
http://www.youtube.com/user/brandong.../0/E1BIP84yfII

Taxied to the terminal but we were held up on a taxiway waiting for a Virgin plane to get a move on. Because we had stopped everybody thought we were at the gate so they got up and started getting there things from the overhead lockers only to be told to sit down and that the aircraft isn’t at the gate. After a minute or two waiting we taxied to gate 32.

At the gate

VH-VNC at the gate, she will soon be back off to Melbourne

Last photo for the trip, VH-OGP at gate 24, flew on her on my last daytrip

Said goodbye to Josh and went to find my parents, they were already at the pickup area. So got in the car and went back home. That is the end of very fun Melbourne Daytrip

Conclusion:

Had a great time. A part from the delay for my flight to MEL Tiger Airways were very good, enjoyed both flights very much. Spotting in Melbourne was good saw the A380, SQ B744, VH-VUZ, VH-YFC and VH-YFE, Southern Air B747 Classic, Royal Netherlands Air Force DC-10 and many others. If my flight wasn’t delayed I would have seen the Shanghai Airlines B763. But that is ok; I still had a great trip and would like to go to Melbourne again. Thanks for reading!
Old 26th June 2011, 04:23 PM

Good report Brandon and nice photos (esp the Dutch AF DC10).

Yes, surprised you were asked to put your camera away. Must depend on which F/A you get.

http://www.paggsy.smugmug.com
Old 26th June 2011, 08:43 PM

i've had a couple of jumpseat rides in VNC...she's a good bird
Old 28th June 2011, 10:41 AM

Thanks Peter! Yeah, must just depend on the F/A, on the BNE-MEL flight the F/A's saw my camera and didn't say anything.

Hi Brad, yeah flown on VNC three times now, wouldn't mind a jumpseat ride on her