Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Trip Reports

Old 11th March 2011, 04:32 PM

Default Trip Report: TT BNE-SYD-BNE (photos)

Hi all,

Last Saturday I went to Sydney for a few hours as I managed to get great fares with Tiger back in November. My second daytrip after flying to Rocky in December last year.

So in late November last year Tiger Airways had $9.95 one-way fares on certain routes for their 3rd birthday. Brisbane – Sydney was one of these routes and I thought I’d try to book a daytrip there as I have only been to Sydney a couple times before back when I was very young and just for a stopover. I looked at a few dates hoping to find a day where I could go over on the early morning flight and come back on the afternoon flight. Unfortunately I couldn’t find a day where I could do this. So I looked to see if I could get on the late morning flight. And I found a day where I could do this, March 5. So I booked it, the fares all up were $19.90 but then there is the seat selection fee and the credit card fee. So all up it cost about $50, very cheap!

I didn’t really want to book another daytrip before my first one to Rockhampton as I wanted to see how it went. It went very well, I had a great time, and I couldn’t wait for my trip to Sydney. And 3 months later it was March 5th.

Spotting in Brisbane

My parents dropped me off at about 1030 for the 1140 departure, I was going to try and get to the airport at 10am but I went on the net at about 9 and saw that my aircraft had departed Melbourne for Sydney about half an hour late. Using the planefinder app on my iPod I saw that my aircraft was VH-VNC, was happy to see it wasn’t VND who I got on my only other Tiger flight. It was pretty boring at Brisbane, I just bought a coke and sat down at my gate. Used the new centre satellite for the first time and it is very nice, still two or three gates aren’t open yet. Jetstar Telstra logo jet arrived while I was waiting and parked near my gate (first time I have seen her). Strategic A320 VH-YQA was then towed over next to VQN. And then VNC came in 20 minutes late from Sydney. Also Eva Air A332 took off to Taipei. And that was about it…
Time for some photos!

Two Jetstar A320s at the common user terminal, with Eva Air behind.

VNC arrives from Sydney where she will soon return with me onboard

March 5, 2011
Tiger Airways Australia
TT6104
BNE-SYD
VH-VNC
Seat 16A

As usual I was one of the last to board. As I was in line to get my boarding pass checked the Air NZ 747 taxied out to RWY19, looked very nice! Just love the 747! Got my boarding pass out, had it scanned and I was on my way out to the aircraft. No aerobridges in the centre satellite so I walked out on to the tarmac and up the back stairs. Was greeted by a female f/a and I went to row 16, in my last trip there was someone in my seat both times, but this time there was no one in my seat. Sat down in 16A, both 16B and C were occupied.

Had two windows, view out of 16A window 2

Saw VH-ZPN pull in to the Virgin terminal, flew on her in December to Rocky! Pushed back about 20 minutes late, was told that the projected flight time was 1 hour 10 minutes! Usual safety demonstration was done and we were on our way out to RWY19.

VH-VQN and VH-YQA

Flight attendant went through the cabin while taxiing and I was told to put my camera away for takeoff. Never been told that before. So I put it in my bag and thought I’d bring it out as soon as we’d taken off. Got to the end of the runway and I saw that there was a aircraft on finals, for some reason I thought please not VUY, please not VUY. Was still yet to get a decent shot of VUY, saw her a week earlier but only managed a hazy shot of her landing on RWY01. And as the aircraft got closer I could see the paint scheme and who was it? VUY!!! Looked so good as it went past. I then noticed another aircraft on finals, so this time I was thinking, please not VUZ, please not VUZ. And luckily it was just a Qantas B738. No more aircraft to wait for so we lined up on 19 and we were off!

As soon as we were up I got my camera out of my bag. We turned left and I got a great view of BNE. You can see QF15 taxiing out of the international terminal and two Virgin Blue aircraft at the end of the runway.

Not a very nice day in Brisbane…

Flying past Cleveland I think

For about 20 minutes the view was just grey clouds, so didn’t bother taking photos, finally above the clouds

Window 1, cruising at 38 000ft

Window 2
Old 11th March 2011, 04:34 PM

The food trolley came through, and as usual I didn't buy anything. I was just going to grab something to eat in Sydney.

Inside the Tiger, discover Tasmania stickers on the overhead compartments

Starting our descent, still just above the clouds

Now below the clouds, looks like Sydney is having the same weather as Brisbane

In the morning while I was on the net I checked what runway they were using in Sydney, I was hoping RWY16R and 16L were being used so I would get a good view of Sydney and they were, so I just hoped they were still using them when I got there…and they were!

First time I had seen the city other than photos, shame it was on a crappy day, but still looks great!

Finals for RWY16L

Passing the GA Apron, USAF KC-135 down there! Knew it was here just thought it would have left by now

Nearly down

And were down!
Old 11th March 2011, 04:34 PM

Exiting RWY16L

Getting my first look at Sydney T1 International Terminal, and also getting my first look at British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Thai A346 and a Malaysian B744

Finally get to see the A380 again!

And another! Also I finally get to see the ATI B762F

First A321 I’ve seen

2 Jetstar A320s

VB B737 and E170

Spotting in Sydney

As soon as I got off of the plane I had a quick wonder through the terminal to try and find a good spot for photos. Ended up just going back to where I originally was. Not very easy to get good photos from T2, the windows throughout the terminal were very dirty and reflections were terrible. Anyway here are the photos.

VUZ ‘Gold Suns Livery’ arrived right behind us, was happy to finally see her

The Tiger prepares for the quick trip home down to Melbourne, she would then fly to Alice Springs and back

VUZ at the gate
Old 11th March 2011, 04:35 PM

ZHA and VNC, possibly the last time I will see ZHA

Aeropelican J32s VH-OTE and OTP, first time I’ve seen Aeropelican, they have just recently started flying to Brisbane so I’ll be seeing them a lot more

Sydney Control Tower

4 Qantaslink Dash 8s

First time seeing the DHL 757

United Boeing 747-400 N119UA off to Los Angeles

Qantaslink Q400 VH-QOW ‘Dubbo Zoo Livery’ arrives, with Qantas A380 VH-OQE in the background

Roaring down RWY16R, off to Los Angeles

I had a quick look over at the international terminal to see if anything else was coming out and there wasn’t so I thought it would be a good time to grab some lunch. Went to the food court, wasn’t very hungry so I just grabbed a sausage roll and a coke and went back to gate 42 to do some more spotting. My flight home was supposed to be leaving from this end of the terminal but then I heard that my gate had been changed, so I had to walk over to the other side of the terminal, I had noticed that the Malaysian B744 had come out so I ran to the other side but was unfortunately too late. Also saw VBY and VXB but I didn’t get photos and was very happy to see VH-VUY pull in after missing her in Brisbane. Anyway here are some more photos.

REX Saab 340 VH-SBA ‘City of Wagga Wagga’

Virgin Blue E170 VH-ZHB

Malaysian Airlines B744 9M-MPF, this is the best photo I got of her

Virgin Blue B738 VH-VUY ‘AFL Livery’ being pushed back, finally got a few decent photos of her, unfortunately I had my bigger lens on at the time
Old 11th March 2011, 04:36 PM

Virgin Atlantic A340-600 G-VWKD heading out to RWY16R

Virgin A346 and Jetstar A332

Arrival and Departure screens, a lot more flights than Brissy

‘Miss Behavin’ roars down RWY16R for the long journey home to London via Hong Kong

V Australia Boeing 777-300ER VH-VPE heads out to RWY16R

Singapore Airlines Cargo Boeing 747-400F 9V-SFM taxies to the Cargo terminal, missed the arrival unfortunately

Qantas B738, 2 B744s and an A380 at the international terminal

VQD and VQR

VPE begins the long journey to Abu Dhabi

Singapore Airlines Airbus A380 9V-SKI taxies out to RWY16R

SQC B744F, SQ A380 and UA B744

United Boeing 747-400 N181UA off to San Francisco
Old 11th March 2011, 04:37 PM

ATI B762F N761CX being towed over to the Cargo terminal

Off to Singapore! Really hope we get A380s in Brisbane soon

VH-VNJ at gate 52 I think, ready to take me home, again, I was glad not to see VND, now been on VNC, VND and VNJ

BA B772 taxies out to RWY16R while I’m in line, didn’t get any photos at all of Thai A346 or UPS MD-11 landing

Boarding call was made and I lined up, as I was in line the Thai A346 and BA B772 decided to leave and an UPS MD-11 came in, I was annoyed that I didn’t get photos but I thought I would see these planes in May anyway when I come back to Sydney. Got to the front of the queue and had my boarding pass scanned I was about to go through the aerobridge when I was called back, the lady asked how old I was, I said I was 15 and she told me to stand aside :? . 5 minutes later after she had let all the passengers through she said that I had to have a parent or guardian with me, but another lady from Tiger told the other lady that it was fine and its 12-14 year olds that need a parent or guardian with them. She apologized and let me through

March 5, 2011
Tiger Airways Australia
TT6107
SYD-BNE
VH-VNJ
Seat 19F

Boarded via the rear stairs, made my way onto the aircraft and down to row 19, 19B, C and F were occupied and the lady in 19F asked if she could have my seat so she could sit next to her family. I said that was fine so I hopped into seat 19F, I was glad I had let her take my seat as the two seats next to me 19D and E ended up being unoccupied, was nice to have the two seats next to me empty

At the gate inside VNJ

Pushback, another Tiger and VGP ‘Powderfinger Livery’ next to us

4 A320s

Cargo Terminal with UPS MD-11, SQC B744F and ATI B762F

Passing a Q400 on our way out to RWY16L

Passing RWY07/25 with an aircraft on finals

Last look at T1…until May

Here’s a video I took taking off on RWY16L, taken with my iPod
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon301095/5500346347/

Last edited by Brandon Giacomin; 11th March 2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11th March 2011, 04:39 PM

And were up!

Passing Cronulla?

Above the clouds

We climbed to 37 000ft and later descended down to 33 000ft to avoid some turbulance ahead. Food trolley came through and again I didn't buy anything.

Inside VNJ, no stickers on the overhead compartments like on VNC and VND

Not quite sure where we were passing over

Descending into Brisbane

Not looking very nice in Brissy this afternoon

On base for RWY19, you can just make out North Stradbroke Island

On finals for RWY19, still in the clouds

Was very bumpy
Old 11th March 2011, 04:39 PM

Passing a F100, you can also see RWY14/32

Nearly down on 19 passing a Qantas B738

And were down

Coming into the gate next to JQG, YQA is still here, found out that she was going to Perth at 1am tomorrow morning as VC2001

De-boarded via the rear stairs
Last photo for the trip, VNJ parked at Brisbane getting to go back to Sydney and then on to Melbourne

Left the terminal, called my parents when I got outside to find out where they were and they just came as I got to the waiting area and then we drove home

Conclusion – Had a great trip, Sydney Airport is fantastic so busy compared to Brisbane. And so many more different airlines. Was great to see the A380 again and to see many B744s. Tiger Airways was fine as usual. Fantastic fares only $50 all up for the trip. Can’t wait for my next trip to Sydney in May on a 747 and back on a 767

Previous Reports (for anyone interested)
QF BNE-CBR-BNE Sep/Oct 2007 http://yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=4126
QF BNE-PER-BNE Jan 2010 http://yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=4728
DJ & TT BNE-ROK-BNE Dec 2010 http://yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=6209

Next Report
QF BNE-SYD-BNE May 2011 on a 747 and 767!

Last edited by Brandon Giacomin; 11th March 2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: More info, corrections
Old 11th March 2011, 05:55 PM

really good work brandon!!! t'was a great read.

only thing wrong was that you departed 16L not 16R

Jetphotos.net
Airliners.net
Old 11th March 2011, 06:22 PM

Thanks Andrew

Yes I know we took off on 16L I just accidently wrote 16R I've fixed it up