Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th October 2008, 10:38 AM

Default RAAF Herc's ?

Have a question that every time I drive base the RAAF base at Richmond that I think I must ask then forget by the time I get home.

Its basically about the C130's that line the apron, where do they fly to im thinking probably Darwin, Townsville and East Timor. Occasionally see one flying into Williamtown when im working up at Newcastle but this is very rare.
And it seems there is nearly always one doing Touch N Go's.

Do they pretty much all use the 'Mentor' callsign now or does it vary and what is the go with ATC do they come up on the civialian ATC am not likely to hear them on my scanner down here in the Shire.

And I can understand for those well in the know if you can't tell me for security reasons etc, but thought Id ask anyway.

Thanks
Mark
Old 12th October 2008, 10:45 AM

Arrow C-130 Mentor call sign

Check this thread, Mark, as it partially answers your questions:
http://yssyforum.net/board/showthrea...ghlight=mentor
Old 12th October 2008, 10:55 AM

Mark C-130J seem to go to Ohakea in New Zealand a fair bit.
Old 12th October 2008, 12:03 PM

Whilst i was with 486 maintenance SQN and then 37 SQN when 486 disbanded in 99, the C-130's flew pretty much everywhere. Darwin, Amberley, Tindal, Townsville, Pearce, Learmonth and Edinburgh were all common destinations in Australia.

Outside of Oz, well the USA, Papua New Guinea, East Timor, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand were all common destinations depending on operational needs, what exercises were being conducted etc.

Of course with operations in Afghanistan and Iraq the Middle East is also now a destination for the aircraft. Two aircraft are based in the Middle East to support operations there.

You'll find them going to other locations as well, again depending on operational needs like supporting peace keeping operations in Vanuatu or the Tsunami relief operations in Indonesia for example. I was even with a C-130 SAR crew in Mauritius for 12 days back in the mid 90's.
Old 13th October 2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Have a question that every time I drive base the RAAF base at Richmond that I think I must ask then forget by the time I get home.

Its basically about the C130's that line the apron, where do they fly to im thinking probably Darwin, Townsville and East Timor. Occasionally see one flying into Williamtown when im working up at Newcastle but this is very rare.
And it seems there is nearly always one doing Touch N Go's.

Do they pretty much all use the 'Mentor' callsign now or does it vary and what is the go with ATC do they come up on the civialian ATC am not likely to hear them on my scanner down here in the Shire.

And I can understand for those well in the know if you can't tell me for security reasons etc, but thought Id ask anyway.

Thanks
Mark
They basically fly anywhere required. As Damien mentioned , operational requirements could be anywhere in the world. As for Australia. I was actually on a trainer a few weeks ago and without over exaggerating we covered about 30 airports along the east coast doing touch and go's that was over a couple of days. During my time here, I have been to places in Australia i never knew existed. They do fly to many parts of Australia.
Old 14th October 2008, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the info guys, thought that the answer would be a diverse range of places and thats certainly the case