Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd February 2014, 02:21 PM

It doesn't worry me. Never has been a great spot. I have fond memories of the old rooftop obs deck when I was a kid... that was a fantastic view...
Old 23rd February 2014, 06:50 PM

As long as they build another one out over the Qantas Lounge near the apron, all is okay.

Whens the BBQ in Brisvegas Muzzdog??

Soon..
No where. Where should I go?
Old 26th February 2014, 09:58 PM

In the meantime, Heathrow opens new 270 degree observation deck:

'Kathryn Leahy, director of Terminal 4, said: "We are proud to be opening this viewing facility for passengers. We know that many travellers enjoy plane spotting and we are pleased to be able to provide them with the opportunity to do so once again.'

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...-spotting-deck
Old 27th February 2014, 11:18 PM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Thumbs up YSSY Update

Hi all,

Further to Sydney Airport's announcement last week regarding the closure of the Observation Deck, after a few weeks of planning, I am pleased to advise that the Rydges Airport Hotel and Sydney Airport have partnered up to support aviation community activities.

The Hotel has a private conference room called the ‘Dreamliner’ located on level 9 of the hotel, there is a small outside viewing deck which can be can be used as a viewing area at a minimal fee paid at the Hotel reception on arrival.

Please note this space is strictly subject to availability and opening times to this space will posted on Rydges Sydney Airport Hotel Facebook page daily:
https://www.facebook.com/RydgesSydneyAirportHotel

The prices are as follows:
• Individual pass - $10 per person including a beverage from Touch & Go Cafe & plane spotter fact sheet
• Family pass – 2 Adults & 2 Children $30 includes beverage from Touch & Go Café and plane spotter fact sheet

See the direct article here:
http://www.rydges.com/accommodation/...lane-spotting/

Sydney Airport also wish to advise that feedback and suggestions here, on social media and emails relating to the closure of the Observation Deck have been forwarded to their Customer Experience Team who are overseeing the closure. Sydey Airport reiterate that the closure of the observation deck is for operational reasons and that its future use is still being considered by the business.

Shep's Mound:
The recently approved Master Plan 2033 outlines the development of Sydney Airport over the next 20 years and that this development will be staged over time. The plan was subject to around two years of consultation with the community and other stakeholders and, given the staged approach, there are no immediate plans to make changes to Shep's Mound.

More to come, when I know more.
Old 2nd March 2014, 05:20 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

One of the great observation decks and bus tours is at Zurich Airport. For 5 Swiss Francs, and a quick security check, there is a massive observation deck with cafe and amusements for the kids, plus an excellent viewing location for the Runways 16/34 and 10/28. From here 8 Swiss Francs gets you on the 1 hour 15min bus tour, which covers all the airport aprons and gates, corporate apron, Swiss Air Rescue Riga Base, de-icing apron and snow plough facility, and stops for abour 15-20min right at the intersection of Runway 16/34 and 10/28. The bus tours run on Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday and public holidays.

What you need is a business model that works for the tour operator, and the airport, and that seems to be the case in Zurich. Each bus tour has a driver and a guide who explains the airport operation and the aircraft types. The Observation Deck and Bus tours are very popular with locals, tourists and spotters, who also spend at the many airport shops, food outlets and car park.

Here are some images shots from this location.

Looking back at Terminal A from the intersection of the runways.

The observation deck from the bus tour.

Terminal E from the Runway intersection - there is also an observation deck on top of this Terminal.

Buses operating the airport tour stop at the Runway intesection for 15-20 minutes.

Taxiing aircraft are very close to the bus turning area.

Runway 16 departures shot from the observation deck.

Runway 16 departures shot from the Runway 16/28 intersection.

Runway 28 departures shot from the Runway 16/28 intersection.

Runway 28 departures shot from the Runway 16/28 intersection.

The observation deck in winter, you need to duck into the cafe every 30min to warm up. Very cold on the feet. They even snow plough the Observation Deck
for safety.

Plenty or entertainment for young children.

Not so good for photography in these conditions.

Last edited by Grahame Hutchison; 2nd March 2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 2nd March 2014, 05:23 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

More detail and images in previous post.

Singapore B747 under tow to the Terminal - shot from the Observation Deck.

Runway 16 departures shot from the Observation Deck.

The busy southern apron from the Observation Deck.

Snow ploughs are busy all the time clearing runways, taxiways and aprons. They operate in a conga line of up to 12 units, each offset by
half a snow plough - shot from the Observation Deck. The aircraft on the middle right is taxiing via the de-icing bay prior to departure.

Individual snow ploughs work on specific tasks - shot from the Observation Deck.

Great action if you can capture it in difficult conditions - from the Observation Deck on a very wet day.

Last edited by Grahame Hutchison; 2nd March 2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 3rd March 2014, 04:15 AM

Do any board members have any pictures of the original observation deck? I haven't seen many pictures of the deck itself, I can remember a lot of photos taken during the 70s and 80s from the deck but no images of the deck itself.
Old 3rd March 2014, 09:43 AM
Prolific Member

Hi Sarah,

From memory, the original observation deck ran the full length of Level 2 with access from the check-in area (the deck was quite narrow, more like a balcony). There was a walkway from the middle of this observation deck out onto the roof of the original gate lounge pier, which then stepped up to a viewing platform. There was a similar arrangement at Tullamarine, and I can remember shooting from this raised deck down in Melbourne as well as Mascot.

Back then there was minimal security and OH&S, and my friends and I would climb through the new Terminal Building while it was under construction.

I can't recall having any images of the actual deck, but it may be visible in some of my shots from the domestic side - I will have a look tonight. Possibly I may have a shot of the Tullamarine raised deck from the observation deck.

PS: Just remembered this image from one of my previous posts, "A Different View Of Sydney".

The observation deck runs the full length of the Terminal building (through the logo on the Thai B747 tail and below the Sydney International
Airpot sign). The onl Terminal control tower is behind the QF B747 tail, and from memory the raised observation deck on top of the pier was
between the Terminal and the Control Tower (around the nose of the Thai B747 nose).

Last edited by Grahame Hutchison; 3rd March 2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 3rd March 2014, 11:46 AM
Prolific Member

There was also an Observation deck at the old TAA domestic Terminal. I will need to enlarge the original image, but I think you can see a crowd
of people just in front of the Concorde's tail.

This image was taken from the old TAA Observation Deck - funny how you can remember taking a shot as far back as March 1981.

Last edited by Grahame Hutchison; 3rd March 2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 3rd March 2014, 04:39 PM

Memories! Thanks for sharing Graeme