Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 1st November 2014, 05:19 PM

They're doing their job, if they see the need to challenge something that we as spotters are doing, then let them do it, no need to harp on about it here, yes they may be wrong some of the time, however that's what they are paid to do and as spotters we need to suck it up and live with that fact...simple.
24/1/24 JQ724 (YXS)
26/1/24 QF1913 (UYY)
20/1/24 QF1451 (LQM)
19/1/24 QF1442 (QOR)
7/1/24 QF1530 (YQW)
7/1/24 JQ740 (YXQ)
Old 1st November 2014, 06:20 PM

Thanks for misrepresenting what I posted.

As I said already, I understand they were doing their job and accordingly I was polite, answered their questions are complied with their requests. The activity they felt required challenging was possession of a scanner, which they had noticed in the course of me immediately complying with their request to move the vehicles, which they made clear they felt was inappropriate until they called someone about it. Note I never challenged them despite them giving me the third degree... I stayed resolutely calm and polite, explaining in response to their questions why I had it, what it was for, why I was there, etc. As I said, the others present got the impression that an incident had occurred due to the the AFP blocking my vehicle and the officers fanning out around my car, taking my details, making the call, etc. and some others thought even they were "in trouble" for being there (and that I was just the first to undergo this treatment).

There was no question they were intentionally intimidating me "to do their job", born out of pure ignorance and I feel it's quite appropriate to record the incident here and certainly more appropriate here and NOT kick up a stink with the officers. I was trying to do anything but that.

EDIT: I guess it's just disappointing because I wasn't doing anything different than usual (just being a completely average boring stereotypical avgeek) and previously my only interaction with the AFP has been a friendly acknowledgement as they drive past to check things out (and these days it's normal to see them come past landside at least once while spotting). I naturally don't mind being asked questions (if anything, I think chatting to us should be a positive thing), but this was a pantomime display. To be honest, after the phone call ended abruptly, I suspect they were embarrassed about the scene they had created over nothing. The whole tone changed and clearly they wanted to get out of there.

Last edited by Robert S; 1st November 2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 1st November 2014, 09:01 PM

Very much agree with Zac. They are doing their job. And why shouldn't they interrogate you about your scanner. After all, If you were using it for nafarious activity, they probably should find that out. And also, I don't think they'd be embarrassed, at least not as much as you.
Old 1st November 2014, 09:20 PM

Dave - the issue here is that the officer thought I flat out wasn't supposed to have such a radio and I was being treated accordingly. This wasn't a mere chat. He seemed surprised when he asked if I'd ever been spoken to about it before and that I replied that I haven't.

Until he did his speech down the phone about the ills I had committed (which was what, about 20 seconds worth) followed by a "Is he allowed to do that?", he treated me like I was problem and one of his offsiders who had been hanging around the rear of my vehicle was writing everything up. I have never experienced (or seen) anything like this at the airport before and I've been going there for what - twenty years? I've had the scanner with me for 14 years. It definitely created a scene.

Following his question down the line, the call ended abruptly. The answer from the other end of the line was clearly a very short sentence in contrast to the catalogue he had described and he somewhat incongruously replied "OK, that's what I thought" and hung up, retrieved my licence from the other officer and returned it to me. I'm very thankful that he made that call and whoever he talked to clearly shut the whole thing down before it got out of hand.

Last edited by Robert S; 1st November 2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 1st November 2014, 09:33 PM

I think the overriding issue for me is that this is an individual personal contact with you. I don't see the point in writing about it on here. If you're unHappy, make a complaint so they can write to you and officially say pull you're head in and get over it and their people have done the right thing. I don't know you and don't want to, but I do know that i really don't care about this story and the people of the AFP were doing their job, asking questions and probably learning something about you. And if you haven't noticed, terrorism is a real threat and airports are essential infrastructure. If someone is taking photos through the fence and listening to a scanner, no matter how innocent, we should know who those people are. Trusting people is getting harder and harder everyday. Don't be upset or offended by my response.
Old 1st November 2014, 09:51 PM

I wasn't taking photos. I wasn't hanging on to the fence and disrespecting the three metre rule. I was sitting in my car at Shep's Hill on a Saturday afternoon, with a scanner, that's all.

I am obviously well aware that writing to them is a complete waste of time and given that the call was made and following that they left me alone, I therefore wouldn't bother wasting their time. I'm sorry - I thought people here were interested in the relationship of spotters and access to the airport and that it was in fact a discussion board (and I don't think I've breached the forum rules, but the mods can remove my posts if they think I have), but it's clear certainly at least two of you want this conversation shut down, for reasons I don't really follow and I certainly didn't expect people to have a go at me even for posting about it.

I certainly would have been interested to know if this had happened to someone else.

Last edited by Robert S; 1st November 2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 2nd November 2014, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Hi Robert,

Thanks for posting. At Brisbane the only time I've ever been questioned about my scanner was by a Wilsons security bloke who was just driving around moving on spotters from no stopping zones - the AFP or Airside security have never seemed concerned. I guess there's always going to be new people to the job or area who've not really dealt with spotters before, so scanners might just be assumed to be suspicious tools of crime, hopefully the officers involved learnt something new that day.

As you've done, cooperate with their instructions and answer their questions while understanding they're just doing their job we'll all live to spot another day!

Jetphotos.net Shots
Airliners.net Shots
Old 2nd November 2014, 12:23 PM

Could be the G20 conference and other things is making them careful.

Forthcoming flights
To be advised.
Old 2nd November 2014, 01:02 PM

I don't blame the AFP for being over cautious, as in Robert's situation. In this day and age and the threats that are around, I wouldn't batter an eyelid if I was interrogated about writing down a rego, let alone a scanner. In the end, their job is the safety of this country and if something goes down, their asses will be on the line first and foremost.

Good to see them taking things seriously !
Old 2nd November 2014, 02:17 PM

Well done Daniel, Alan, & David...for being adult enough to respond to Robert without feeling the need to be belittling pious prats.

For those who "...don't care about this story..." I have an easy solution. Make an executive decision and don't read, don't comment.

But advising other board members that they are harping on, to 'suck it up', 'don't know you and don't want to', etc etc detracts from the nature of the board. Grow up. There are ways to make your points without the need for personal barbs. Robert was sharing an experience which can be valuable to us all if we have dealings with the AFP.

Finally, individual personal contacts happen all the time and members sharing them contribute valuable information, opinions, views, and beliefs to the board. And they are contributions which you agreed to abide by. However, Roberts contact was public, in the public domain, and is in the public interest. <shrugs>

3.1.2 You agree to respect the views, beliefs, opinions and ideas of other Board users in Messages originated by You.