Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Services and General > Admin and Feedback

Old 9th January 2010, 09:47 PM

Default Photo Sub-forum?

Hi all,

I have to say I've really been enjoying all the pics others have been posting recently - it's really great to see all the photos from around the world, and also of days that I haven't been able to visit Sydney myself. I was thinking, however, that it might be beneficial to begin a new sub-forum within the Spotting and Movements section, to give visitors an easy way to view the latest collection of spotting photos, links to video compilations, trip reports etc.

I understand that having lots of photos stored on the server can add to runnings costs, so it might be an idea to also require that photos simply be links to Flickr, as many people already do here.

Keep those photos coming everyone!! Let me know what you think of the idea...

Gareth
Old 11th January 2010, 07:59 AM

For what its worth, I am about to rener my domain name registration, and under the package I am on, is an application called Photo Gallery. I have always used Flickr as my photo hosting site and never use this application, so IF the admins would like to use it (at no cost of course!!!) and intigrate it into this forum, I am more than happy to have it being used!!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 11th January 2010, 08:20 PM
Prolific Member

To use the Mods own argument as to why there shouldn't be a separate rego request forum (see http://yssyforum.net/board/showpost....7&postcount=15), I believe there shouldn't be a separate photography sub-forum as it is also covered within a sub-category already.

Quote:
Flying and Technical Discussion
Aircraft, helicopters, airframes and powerplants, aerodynamics, technology, air traffic services, communications, photography, learning to fly, flight instruction, procedures and techniques, rules and regulations, flyins and flyaways, education and courses, flight simulation, trip reports, get-togethers, humour and miscellaneous
Old 12th January 2010, 06:14 AM

Cheers for the feedback and further ideas. Nigel, I think the photography section of the Flying and Technical Discussion is more for advice on photography techniques and equipment. My idea is simply to allow photographers to display their photos, regardless of quality. There may be some who would like some technical feedbackon the quality of the photos etc, so that is something for the Mods to thinks about.
Old 12th January 2010, 08:19 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Nigel, I think the photography section of the Flying and Technical Discussion is more for advice on photography techniques and equipment.
Gareth, I think that's just your interpretation.

Why don't you just set up a common user flikr account and provide the link here, including username and password, so anyone and everyone can dump their pics there?
Those who wish to view and comment regularly can then add the link to their favourite bookmarks.
Old 12th January 2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
Why don't you just set up a common user flikr account and provide the link here, including username and password, so anyone and everyone can dump their pics there?
...or better still, those who wish to post their photos set up their own flikr or photobucket or whatever accounts, and post their own links...
Old 12th January 2010, 09:56 AM

Andrew's suggestion is pretty much exactly what I envisioned, just with a separate section on the forum. I think the way people are doing things now is great, with the links to the photos (with a preview of the photo embedded to the forum page), but I just think it could be improved by having a separate section.

I think a common flickr account could potentially raise copyright or other issues (having not fully read the Flickr T&Cs, I'm not entirely sure of the implications).
Old 13th January 2010, 08:46 AM

This sounds like a great idea for newbie photographers..

the two big photos sites as mentioned are very strict on allowing new photos into their database and after a few rejections you get put off from even bothering but you still would like to share your captures.

It sounds like if you upload to flikr or the likes and link back here you could see some really unique photos from a local perspective and also help us newbies to improve our photos and then maybe one day try and resubmit back to the big boys club AA and JP.
Old 13th January 2010, 09:23 AM

There's a Sydney Airport Flickr Group that I post my spotting photos to, but I guess that is an outside link and not actually something that's part of this forum.
Old 13th January 2010, 09:45 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
I remember the last time someone tried to post some photos for all to see. The result was quite bad.
Quote:
...and also help us newbies to improve our photos and then maybe one day try and resubmit back to the big boys club AA and JP.
Which essentially is saying if you're going to submit your photos online, then expect some feedback (both positive AND negative). If that means developing a thicker skin and not being so precious as people critique published pics, then so be it.

I don't mind looking at quality pics, but I won't cheer for the poor ones. However if people want to improve on the standard of picture they take, then there are plenty of highly experienced people on the board who can give quality advice without ripping your head off. All you need to do is ask.

Thanks for posting the link JamesP. It's exactly what I was thinking of.