Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Trip Reports

Old 14th January 2014, 12:06 PM

Default Trip Report: QF BNE-SYD-BNE 747 + 738 (Photos)

Introduction:

Last Sunday (January 12), I went down to Sydney for the day for some spotting. Hadn’t flown in 2 months, that’s just way to long for me Also hadn’t been on QF8 for a bit over a year so I had to do that again! I booked the flights a couple of months before hand, I would catch QF8 down to Sydney and QF548 back to Brisbane. I chose 548 because it was the only flight in the late afternoon/evening which was to be operated by a Boeing 767 (last time for me on a QF B763 was May 2011!). But a few weeks prior to the trip it ended up being switched to a Boeing 737-800! Anyway I was still very much looking forward to the quick trip!

Brisbane Airport:

Woke up at 5am, didn’t get too much sleep as I went to the Big Bash game at the Gabba the night before! Mum drove me to the airport and we arrived just before 6am. Check-in was quick and easy, as was customs and security. Soon I was over at Gate 79, just before my plane arrived!

But first was A6-EDP arriving from Dubai

There she is! VH-OEE arrives from Dallas!

I’ve had a very good run with QF8! Four times I’ve done the flight and I’ve flown on four different aircraft! OEI in May 2011, OEJ in April 2012, OEG in November 2012 and now OEE in January 2014!

OEE at the gate with OJS in the background arriving from Singapore

Boarding started at around quarter past seven. Was looking forward to getting back on a Jumbo!

January 12, 2014
Qantas
QF8
BNE-SYD
VH-OEE B744
Seat 55K

My view from Seat 55K

Flight Map

Load on the flight looked to be pretty decent surprisingly. At a very rough guess I’d say in the 200-250 range. Still a light load I guess considering the B744ERs have 364 seats. The seat next to me was un-occupied.

Lining up on 19

Still had a nice early rotation! The power of those engines is remarkable! It pushes you back into your seat on take-off!

Passing the domestic

We were then treated to a great view of the international. Check out the size difference between the A380 and the B738s and look how faded that red Virgin B738 is!!!

Nice big turn!
Old 14th January 2014, 12:07 PM

Fantastic view of the Gateway Bridges and Brisbane City

Beautiful morning in Brisbane!

Another nice big turn

Brisbane City again

Passing Archerfield Airport

We climbed up to 40000 feet, once we reached cruising altitude breakfast was served. Breakfast consisted of an Apple Danish, yoghurt, orange juice and a coffee.

Lovely view as we cruise down to Sydney

I watched an episode of two and a half men and watched the flight map most of the flight. Plenty of choices on the IFE, would be great for the long haul flights. Soon we were on descent.

The spoilers were up for most of the descent

On finals for RWY16R

Over Qantas Drive

We had one of the smoothest touchdown’s I’ve ever experienced!

Parked next to Cathay!
Old 14th January 2014, 12:08 PM

Sydney Airport:

I disembarked the aircraft after a fantastic flight! I tried to get to customs as quickly as I could but I realised I wouldn’t be getting out to quick! The line was huge! But surprisingly it moved really fast! I was out in about 30 minutes. Boarder security wasn’t an issue, because I was on a domestic flight I got to skip it! I then let Bernie Proctor know I was ready so he drove around and took me to the mound for some spotting!

Old 14th January 2014, 12:08 PM

Old 14th January 2014, 12:09 PM

After a fantastic day of spotting in Sydney it was time to head back to the terminal. Bernie dropped me off at T3. Thanks again for a great day mate! I checked-in, went through security and grabbed something to eat. I walked over to Gate 12; VH-VZO with the Prostate Cancer decals would take me to Brisbane. New rego for me and finally I get one with IFE! No BSI though. At about 6:45pm boarding was called.

January 12, 2014
Qantas
QF548
SYD-BNE
VH-VZO B738
Seat 7F

The view from Seat 7F
Old 14th January 2014, 12:09 PM

Flight Map

Boarding appeared to be finished, but we stayed at the gate for about 10 minutes. The captain then came over P/A and said that there was a mechanical issue that required an engineer to look into. 10 minutes after that he said that the engineer could not find the problem and it would require further examining. Therefore they would not fly this aircraft tonight! He said that another B738 would arrive in half an hour at Gate 8 so we would move over to that one.

Quick interior shot as I hop off

Get well soon VZO

The delay would end up being about 2 hours, which didn’t bother me too much. My main concern was what rego I would now get! A quick search on FR24 and Flightaware and I found that I would be getting VH-XZG!! Nice! Very new aircraft with IFE and BSI!!

VH-XZG arrives from Melbourne

At about 8:30pm boarding was called!

Take 2!
January 12, 2014
Qantas
QF548
SYD-BNE
VH-XZG B738
Seat 7F

My view!

The pilot then came over the P/A and apologized for the delay. He then said that there was a problem! He then said it was nothing to do with the aircraft though! Because we had switched planes we had lost our catering. So the F/A’s had gone off to get a few carts of food! Haha so no major dramas.

Flight Map

We taxied out to RWY16L and took-off, made the usual steep left turn. We climbed up to 37000 feet and dinner was served which was pasta with Chicken. I just played around with the IFE during the flight. Soon we were descending into Brisbane and landing on RWY01, then a quick taxi to Gate 23.

XZG at the Gate

That was the end of yet another enjoyable Sydney Daytrip.

Conclusion:

Had two fantastic flights. QF8 was great as always and the new B738s are really nice! Spotting in Sydney was good, managed to log quite a few new regos which was good.

Next flights booked are for May/June, off to Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan! However I will most likely do a few more flights before then.

Thanks for reading!
Brandon
Old 21st January 2014, 12:01 PM

Great Job as usual Brandon,
VH-XZG and the new QF 738's are great,
Flew CBR-BNE a few days ago on it, was a great flight
Well done anyway though
Old 22nd January 2014, 12:16 PM

Cheers Jacob.

Yeah XZG was great! First time for me in one of the new QF B738s with IFE and BSI. Very nice indeed!
Old 23rd January 2014, 09:09 AM

What's this so called BSI?
Old 23rd January 2014, 10:11 AM

Boeing Sky Interior