Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Trip Reports

Old 18th August 2013, 11:39 PM

Default Trip Report: Tigerair BNE-SYD-BNE (Photos)

Introduction:

In February Tiger Airways had $10 fares on certain routes; Brisbane to Sydney was one of them. I managed to pick up a $10 fare down to Sydney and back up to Brisbane. Local spotter Joel would be joining me; this would be his first time on a commercial flight. We would catch an early morning flight to Sydney and an evening flight back to Brisbane, giving us roughly 7-8 hours spotting time in Sydney.

We were meant to travel on Thursday, 25 July however the early morning flight was cancelled a couple months prior to the trip due to a schedule restructure. Tiger switched us to a late afternoon flight which would give us 30 minutes in Sydney!!! What good is 30 minutes? Off one plane and on to another :? I saw that there was a morning flight the following day, if we could switch to the Friday we would be able to get our original flights. So a 15 minute call to Tiger and it was all sorted. We would now be flying to and from Sydney on Friday, 26 July.

Also, a few weeks before the trip Tiger Airways rebranded becoming “Tigerair”.

Sorry guys but I will now be putting watermarks on all my photos I post on the internet just to be safe!!

Brisbane Airport:

We met up at the centre of the terminal at 7:30am and then checked in. Went through security and then had a quick random explosives test before having a wonder around the terminal. First aircraft to catch my eye was Skywest Airbus A320 VH-FNP which was parked at the Qantas end, she arrived from Derby the night before.

Skywest A320 VH-FNP

After having a look around we grabbed something to drink and waited at our gate. There were a few good movements.

Emirates Boeing 777-300ER A6-ECO

Virgin Australia Boeing 737-800 VH-YIO

Cathay Pacific’s newest Airbus A330-300 B-LBB, on its second visit to BNE. This is the 1000th Airbus A330 and has some small titles at the front.

Korean Air Airbus A330-300 HL7587

An announcement was made that due to Brisbane ATC our aircraft departed Sydney 40 minutes late; it was then put into a holding pattern, taking the delay to 50 minutes.

Finally our aircraft arrived and it was VH-VND, second time on her! Flew on her from ROK-BNE in December 2010.

Virgin Australia Airbus A330-200 VH-XFC

After a quick turnaround it was time to board.

July 26, 2013
Tigerair Australia
TT726
BNE-SYD
VH-VND A320
Seat 15A

Making our way out to the aircraft

Tiger Tail!

Onboard in Seat 15A

Passing the loop

We were about 6th in queue for takeoff, it moved quite quickly and soon we were taking off on RWY19.

Takeoff

Nice big left turn over the Brisbane River

Brisbane Airport can be seen to the left

Cruising at FL360
Old 18th August 2013, 11:40 PM

The flight passed quite quickly, before I knew it we were descending into Sydney.

Nice right turn on descent

Got some nice views as we flew over the coast

On finals for RWY34L

Touchdown on RWY34L

Singapore Airlines Airbus A380 taxiing out

Taxiing to T2

We disembarked the aircraft through the aerobridge and made our way into the terminal. We arrived an hour late after the 1 hour 11 minute flight. We grabbed something to eat and then caught the train over to the international terminal to go up to the observation deck for the day.

A quick shot of our Tiger and two Virgins

Sydney Airport Plane Spotting

We spent the afternoon at the observation deck. It was a beautiful day in Sydney; I managed to capture some good movements and a few aircraft I have been chasing for a while. Saw Jetstar A320 VH-VFO for the first time, just love the sharklets! Antonov Design Bureau AN-124F UR-82029 was on the freight apron. Finally managed to see the new Fiji Airways livery; and on one of their new Airbus A330-200s. Got to see Etihad Cargo Boeing 777F A6-DDB, they have only recently started flying to SYD. Also saw a BA B77W for the first time and VH-VNQ in the new Tigerair livery. Anyway here are my photos from the day.

Old 18th August 2013, 11:41 PM

Old 18th August 2013, 11:43 PM

Old 18th August 2013, 11:46 PM

Just after 4pm we decided it was time to head back over the T2. We caught the train back over to the domestic and then went to the Tigerair check-in desks. Checked in for the flight to BNE with no problems and then went through security, yet again I received the random explosives test. I hardly ever get it, but got it both times today! We grabbed something to eat and found a good spot to watch the action from. Managed to get some better shots of VH-VNQ and saw an Atlas B744F depart and then another arrive 1 minute after!

VUN being prepared for her next flight

Cute little Dash 8-200 looking awesome in the late afternoon light

VNQ! I quite like the new titles.

Atlas B744F arriving

VNQ again

Unfortunately VNQ was going to Melbourne. We walked around to our gate about half an hour before our aircraft was due in. Our aircraft would be arriving from Melbourne and it was VH-VNP, my first time on this aircraft. She arrived a little bit behind schedule.

VNP coming into the gate

After a short delay it was time to board.

July 26, 2013
Tigerair Australia
TT821
SYD-BNE
VH-VNP A320
Seat 15A

Onboard in Seat 15A
Old 18th August 2013, 11:46 PM

We taxied out to RWY16L and departed. We made the usual left turn giving me some nice views.

The flight went by fairly quickly. Cruised at 35000ft, I bought myself a chicken wrap. We held over the Gold Coast for 15 minutes before making our way to Brisbane. We were arriving at a pretty bad time with the congestion but I was happy that we just did the two loops.

Brisbane City on finals for RWY01

We landed on RWY01 and taxied to the common user terminal were we then walked across the tarmac and into the terminal. I said goodbye to Joel after an awesome day of flying and spotting. I quickly walked over to a nearby gate to get a photo of Jetstar A320 VH-VFN; finally I get to see her!

VFN!

Walked down to the pick-up area and it was absolute chaos, very very busy! After 15 minutes my mum’s car finally came around and I went home.

Conclusion

It was yet another enjoyable spotting daytrip down to Sydney. Again Tiger Airways (now Tigerair) proved to be good! Nine flights I have done with Tiger now and I would fly with them again.

Thanks for reading!

Next trip for me is August 31/September 1. To get a few more rides on the Qantas Boeing 737-400s before they are gone. I fly BNE-MEL on a QF B734, then JQ from MEL-SYD on an A321 (first time on an A321), overnight in Sydney. Then fly SYD-CBR on a QF B734, spend the day spotting in Canberra and then CBR-SYD on another QF B734 and then SYD-BNE on a VA B738.
Old 19th August 2013, 05:06 PM

Great Report Brandon,

Always a delight to read you reports

Hopefully I can start doing some daytrips soon

Keep up the good work

Jacob