Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 23rd September 2008, 10:48 AM

Default "Near Miss" at Sydney Airport 23/09

Just poppped up on news.com.au

Quote:
'Near miss' at Sydney

By Rhys Haynes

September 23, 2008 10:35am

A PASSENGER jet was involved in a near miss with a freight aircraft landing in Sydney this morning, the closest shave one airport worker said he had seen in 20 years.

Radio station 2GB is reporting the FedEx cargo plane was well into its approach into the north-south runway at about 7am before it was diverted away from the passenger jet preparing to take off.

“The FedEx aircraft was told to go around because in its path was a passenger aircraft waiting to take off,” witnesses told presenter Ray Hadley.

“An eyewitness who has worked at the airport for almost 20 years told me he had never seen anything closer than a collision,” Mr Hadley said.

The Sydney Airports Corporation refused to comment on the incident.

Air Services Australia denied the incident took place.

“We have absolutely no report of a conflict at all,” a spokeswoman told The Daily Telegraph Online.

“We have checked with our national operations centre with the terminal control and there have been no reports of any conflict at the airport.

FedEx commenced operations in Australia in 1989 and is a global air and ground cargo transportation company.

The Daily Telegraph Online is contacting FedEx for comment
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001021,00.html
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:23 PM

One jet was slow to roll and Fedex was sent around. All very safe. Lots of beat up about it though!
Old 23rd September 2008, 01:24 PM

Thought it sounded like a run-of-the-mill go around.
Old 23rd September 2008, 02:19 PM

Another thing that happens every day around the world! and the Media jump's up and down.

When is this going to stop?
Old 23rd September 2008, 02:21 PM

I wonder who the "employee with 20 years experience" was that said it was the closest thing to an accident he had seen there in his life.
Old 23rd September 2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
I wonder who the "employee with 20 years experience" was that said it was the closest thing to an accident he had seen there in his life.
I'm guessing someone who didn't see the actual accidents or near misses that have occured at Sydney in the last twenty years (maybe not even an industry person?). I do recall an incident where an aircraft under tow illegally entered the runway with an aircraft on approach and cleared to land, there was also the Ansett 747 nose wheel collapse, the recent crash in Botany Bay (and many that i have forgotten or have no knowledge of)- a few in other words.

I'm surprised the media didn't report on the missed approach by a Virgin Blue aircraft on Sunday morning - with all the media there i was wondering if that would make the news. Maybe it would have, had it been a Qantas aircraft?
Old 23rd September 2008, 02:51 PM
Prolific Member

Ahh, they might have, but they were too busy looking at the great white dugung in Hangar 96!
Old 23rd September 2008, 03:04 PM

It does resemble a Dugong.... perhaps modelled somehow on the Baluga?
Old 23rd September 2008, 03:17 PM

I have done more go-arounds than I care to remember

And not one of them made the media

Which was probably because I failed to terrify my passengers
Old 23rd September 2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien b View Post
I'm surprised the media didn't report on the missed approach by a Virgin Blue aircraft on Sunday morning - with all the media there i was wondering if that would make the news. Maybe it would have, had it been a Qantas aircraft?
Or even the VERY late missed approach by a QF A330 also on Sunday....Was listening on my scanner and the pilot declared a missed approach due to a wind gust. He must have only been about 5 metres off touching down when declared as he was already over the keys.