Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 18th November 2008, 12:00 PM

Default Strange In-flight request

Hey Guys,

In a few weeks my uncle is flying QF from London to Melbourne. He departs London 2 hours before his soccer team in the English Premier League kicks off. He asked me if there was any chance he could find out the result of the game while in flight.

Taking into account that it will be 4 hours into the flight (presuming there are no delays), is there anyway that he will be able to find out the result?

Do QF 747's have internet access, or would it be possible that if he asked the cabin crew, they would be able to find it out some way?

If it's not possible I told him that he'd have to wait another 8 hours till he was in Bankok and I would SMS him the score.

Cheers,
Ahmet
Old 18th November 2008, 12:04 PM

Hi Ahmet,
on my flight QFA5 Sydney Singapore 2 years ago the pilot used the ACARS system on the flight management computer to get NRL score of the grand final which he announced over the p/a.
I guess your uncle's only hope is to pass a note to cabin crew and ask them to take to cockpit kindly requesting they try to get the score for that particular match and they can speak with company hq. You have to understand that crew will still be quite busy even in the cruise and this might not work but it is all you can really do in my opinion unless he waits till he gets to Bangkok. QF 744s dont have internet access to answer your question.

All the best and hopefully it works out for him!
Matt

Last edited by Matt_L; 18th November 2008 at 12:04 PM. Reason: added info! wow thats unlike me
Old 18th November 2008, 12:06 PM

Cheers Matt!

I'm guessing that an NRL grand final would be more important that an English soccer game.

I'll let him know to give it a go.
Old 18th November 2008, 12:28 PM

Alternatively, make a phonecall using the in-seat phone system. Granted it's going to be an expensive call but an alternative all the same..

Qantas Inflight Communications
Old 18th November 2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Smith View Post
Alternatively, make a phonecall using the in-seat phone system. Granted it's going to be an expensive call but an alternative all the same..

Qantas Inflight Communications
I woud just do that, saves hassling the cabin crew, and it would only cost a few dollars.

He could just SMS, its a bit cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qf

Our SMS service* operates in a similar way to sending a message from your own mobile phone, except you'll be using the inflight entertainment telephone handset. The SMS service allows you to send messages of up to 160 characters to any SMS compatible mobile phone or e-mail address. Provided your flight has not yet landed, the recipient of your message will be able to reply directly to you. The cost to send and receive each message is US$1.90.