Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 9th November 2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahame Hutchison View Post
Thank you, LAX need to update their whole setup and buildings
Couldn't agree more
Old 9th November 2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan K View Post
Next June, I'll be arriving at LAX on QF93 from MEL and then flying to JFK on QF107.
Not sure if you know of the change on the VWP with the USA. Basically you need to register online, before travel https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html

While this is not set in stone, your travel date is after it's expected to be enforced, no fee at this stage and valid for 2 years, but if you have booked, register before they set a fee.

Personally I try do a 11 hour lay over in LA, do a quick trip to the haunts and then take the redeye to NYC, saves a night in hotel costs, and you get to see 2 places for the price of one.

I recently spent a week in NYC, photo's in the sig, expect it to be tourist central, worse than LA. The Empire State Building is really not worth it, go to the Top Of The Rock, where it's not crowded and fab views.

Last edited by Tom Lohdan; 9th November 2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 9th November 2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Not sure if you know of the change on the VWP with the USA. Basically you need to register online, before travel https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html
It's no big deal, I did it last week. The questions are identical to those on the green I-94W form that you fill in on the plane. You just don't have to fill in the address details since it is valid for multiple trips within a two year period.

It is mandatory as of 12 January 2009.
Old 9th November 2008, 02:59 PM

Do you still need to do the annoying form on the plane ?
Old 9th November 2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ramsay View Post
Actually it's not

It's still pending if it will be mandatory, and I hope not.

The address details are to be updated each trip, but I've refused to use this new system until they enforce it.

Last edited by Tom Lohdan; 9th November 2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 9th November 2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew M View Post
Do you still need to do the annoying form on the plane ?
Yes until they make the choice of which system they use. So even if you use the new system, you are still required to use the paper forms.

Only in the USA
Old 9th November 2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lohdan View Post
Yes until they make the choice of which system they use. So even if you use the new system, you are still required to use the paper forms.

Only in the USA
Well then I agree with you, that completing the on-line form for trips prior to 12th of January is a waste of time!

Why do extra work !

Yes entering the USA is a slight pain but once your there, it's a wonderful place for me!
Old 9th November 2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew M View Post
Yes entering the USA is a slight pain but once your there, it's a wonderful place for me!
I just like having a chat with same Immigration guy, seem to get the same guy all the time, and he took a double look when I doing back to back flights within a month.

As with the US Visit system, where you need to fingerprint yourself on exit, this is a new system and is not law or mandatory, it is a trial and you can do the standard paper inair forms until it is decided.
Old 9th November 2008, 07:31 PM

I would like to add that in most likelihood, QF at LAX, as with any airline with a similar connecting service at an outport hub, would have airport staff with pax manifests ready at the gate to identify passengers booked on tight connecting flights. If there were late arriving flights (maybe say, 20-30 minutes late), they'd try to hurry the pax through where they can etc. If it's an hour or hour and 15 minutes late they'd probably miss the connecting flight anyway - might even have rebooked you already on another flight to your final destination.

Last edited by D Chan; 9th November 2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 9th November 2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ramsay

Actually it's not

It's still pending if it will be mandatory, and I hope not.
Prior to 12 January 2009 it is not mandatory, or indeed even required. However after that date it is.

From the US Department of Homeland Security Website

Quote:
Beginning January 12 2009, all nationals and citizens of Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries will be required by law to obtain a travel authorisation prior to initiating travel to the United States under the VWP. This authorisation may be obtained online through the Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA), a free internet application administered by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) through a U.S. Government web site

Last edited by David Ramsay; 9th November 2008 at 08:40 PM.