Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Old 23rd March 2008, 04:57 AM

Default Additional United Flights?

Does anyone know if United will be putting more flights on over the Christmas period this year? I've been trying to book tickets to come home for Christmas but with prices as high as they are for a family of four, I may not be able to. I'm just wondering if there will be additional flights and if that would bring the ticket prices down slightly?

Thank you

Ben
Old 23rd March 2008, 08:39 PM

Prices won't come down for this period in time, due to high season. In fact cheaper seats at high season are always first in best dressed, Unlike low season when airlines can usually put on lower yield special fares. Fares between Australia and North/South America usually can sometimes be 100% higher than these low season fares. See if there is a way for you to depart in a shoulder season area as fares are dicated from the day you depart.
Old 24th March 2008, 11:55 PM

Thanks Malcolm,

I'm hoping the V Australia announcement later this week may bring some cheaper prices with a little extra competition on the route. Only time will tell I guess.....

Cheers,

Ben
Old 26th March 2008, 05:37 PM

If it comes down to the choice of either Qantas or United, I'd pick Qantas any day even if it is more expensive to fly QF.

I haven't seen a lot of passengers smile when they come fresh off UA flights at Sydney (in fact sometimes they even look angry!). Fatigue obviously plays a role but I reckon cabin service / inflight product is the main cause. But then again there's a whole host of reasons to it (that I won't go into unless you want to know).

V Australia I hope will bring something new and exciting to this route. I'm sure when Qantas deploys the A380 transpacific, things will be a whole lot better!

Last edited by D Chan; 26th March 2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 26th March 2008, 11:09 PM

The number one concern for me is $$$$. I've made the trip upwards of 30 times now and have never seen prices this high. I can't justify dropping $10K US just on the airfare for the four of us. May just have to skip it this year if we can't get cheaper tickets.

I do agree with you that Qantas is the way to go, but for me that's only the case if their prices are within $100 of United. At the end of the day, it's only 13 hours...over half of which we sleep through anyways! i guess I've done it so many times on United that I'm used to not having my own IES.

Cheers,

Ben
Old 29th March 2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben W View Post
The number one concern for me is $$$$. I've made the trip upwards of 30 times now and have never seen prices this high. I can't justify dropping $10K US just on the airfare for the four of us. May just have to skip it this year if we can't get cheaper tickets.

I do agree with you that Qantas is the way to go, but for me that's only the case if their prices are within $100 of United. At the end of the day, it's only 13 hours...over half of which we sleep through anyways! i guess I've done it so many times on United that I'm used to not having my own IES.

Cheers,

Ben
Actually I forgot about something which I should mention for United. I really do think that their One Class upgrades ($874 aud one way) is a great deal.

It might seem like a big sum (but it's a LOT cheaper than buying a business class ticket), but you do get to use the express lanes in customs, red carpet club lounge, priority boarding, priority bag tags etc., plus travel in style for just under $900 extra on top of an economy ticket
Old 31st March 2008, 01:37 AM

One thing I can tell you is that you will see a much better interior on our 400's once the refurb project is completed. I'm aware of one ac that has been completed so far...I've seen pics of the finished product but hevent been on the aircraft to see it first hand. The "inflight product"...well thats another story unfortunately and that involves simply people and attitudes which I dont expect to change given the current climate within the company.

regards

MS