Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 28th April 2011, 02:27 PM

Default Mackay Airport's $10million Redevelopment

For those interested in happenings up in Central Queensland, Mackay Airport's $10million upgrade is nearly complete.

It was initially reported in late 2009 that the airport was to undergo an upgrade, including a resurfacing of the airport's main runway, and major redevelopment of the terminal building.

Well, the runway works have been completed, and now the terminal is almost complete... It looks like the passenger waiting/sitting area will be the last to be completed - as well as the outdoor 'observation area' which is now licensed and attached to the new 'Barra Bar'.

There is a new security screening point and a new newsagent/book shop. The Cafe has moved and is bigger, as have the hire car desks. Baggage claim remains the same.

From a recent visit to the airport, I took some pictures - they can be found on my Blog - http://tinyurl.com/4xpdp6y

There also seems to either a drainage line or even parallel taxiway also being constructed down the length of the main runway. I am yet to confirm what this construction is...

Cheers
Damian
Old 28th April 2011, 07:05 PM

It'd be nice if they lengthened the runway, have some taxiways to avoid ridiculous waiting times, and throw in an ILS. Ahh well, at least the bar is bigger so more people can drink/eat when we can't get in during the wet season...
Old 6th May 2011, 07:05 PM

Few airports around Central Queensland getting or have recently had work done. Mainly to support the increase in traffic for FIFO support.

Gladstone has had it's airport terminal upgraded majorly, the runway upgraded majorly and is in the process of widening it yet again and have HIRL and an ILS installed (one of the few ILS's in the country not associated with a controlled aerodrome).

Mackay as detailed.

Emerald underwent major terminal upgrades as well.

Add to this, Rocky still in the process of repairing it's airport from the flood damage and the continued construction of the new Control Tower, means there's some major $$'s going towards aviation infrastructure in the CQ Region. That'd have to be a first for Australia!

Mick
Old 6th May 2011, 08:52 PM

How about Thangool?
Old 6th May 2011, 09:53 PM

Not sure about Thangool Nathan, but also Moranbah Airport is also undergoing a makeover...

I popped in there the other day and cars were parked everywhere on the grass and heaps of temporary fencing is up while the apron and runway is worked on. I believe the upgrade of the Moranbah runway will allow QantasLink Q400s to start ops from Brisbane. I suppose as well, the airport upgrade could be handy if BMA (BHP) gets it way with a new huge mine with a 100% FIFO workforce!

Also Clermont Aerodrome will get an upgrade too.. Announced a little while ago, but nothing has happened since. Most of the funding for this I know is from Rio Tinto - operator of the local coal mines!!

I have some info on these and the now completed Emerald Airport redevelopment on the CQ Plane Spotting Blog - probably do a search for if you want more info!

That's what FIFO does!

Cheers
Damian