Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 2nd October 2008, 12:24 AM

Default QF exterior paint

After spending a week working at SYD last week I couldn't believe the exterior condition of some QANTAS aircraft.

Some of the later B763's such as OGP and OGS still retain the very old 'The Australian Airlines' titles, I saw about 3 different a/c.

OEB the name (Phillip Island-??) is wonky behind the cockpit windows and the larger QF logos on the engines are in different places on the no.3 and 4 engines, they sit at different heights.

And how can I forget N412MC the Atlas B744F which technically I know isn't owned by QF but it has titles on the nose that say 'Operated for QANTAS Airways Limited'. I know this aircraft has been bashed repeatedly on the various net forums but it looks even worse in the flesh, huge chucks of paint missing in places. It doesn't portray and very good image to the public.

Some of the paint on the A333's is also looking very tired also.

One would of thought the "The World's most experienced airline" could present their aircraft a little better.
Old 2nd October 2008, 12:43 AM

Now, i *daresay* that QF has more pressing financial issues to do with oil than the appearance of their aircraft.

Atlas Air one is a joke, that needs to be fixed, but it does cost a decent amount to paint, and they will eventually change all the planes to the new livery, its just a matter of when really.

I dont think its a pressing issue, considering all thats happened at QF in recent months.
Old 2nd October 2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis View Post
Atlas Air one is a joke, that needs to be fixed, but it does cost a decent amount to paint, and they will eventually change all the planes to the new livery, its just a matter of when really.
Atlas Air has a new livery?? Really?
I must have been away from the airport for too long!
Old 2nd October 2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Griffiths View Post
Atlas Air has a new livery?? Really?
I must have been away from the airport for too long!
Sorry, i meant QF's new livery
Old 2nd October 2008, 10:24 PM

I agree, the majority of QF's planes look dull and tired, almost as if they should be sitting out in the desert in tucson

Qantas need to sort it out because it's making them look like an airline from the 3rd world.
Old 3rd October 2008, 10:32 AM

They are not the only one with shabby planes!
Old 3rd October 2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Qantas need to sort it out because it's making them look like an airline from the 3rd world.
I think that is taking things a little too far.
Old 3rd October 2008, 03:02 PM

Some of the BA 744s paint jobs look pretty grotty at the moment. In Heathrow earlier this year I recall seeing quite a few that around the tail was all flaked off and it did look pretty rubbish, but a peeling paint job rates pretty low on the care factor scale to be honest. Not the best example but you can see what I mean here:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Briti...436/1401085/M/

The 777 that was in a few pieces out in the open (as a result of the crash a few weeks prior) and viewed from your window seat during taxi was a little more disturbing than something as superficial as a flakey paint job.
Old 4th October 2008, 12:46 PM

How about you fly your aircraft to ASIA and you see how it turns out. The amount of crap in the air is amazing. The aircraft do get washed regularly. Paint has nothing to do with the aircrafts serviceability. I can assure you that I have seen a aircraft with brand new paint but its a bucket of bolts. Paint isn't everything. As for the Atlas B747F, the reason why the paint is flaking off is due to the painters not preparing the surface correctly. It was basically 'dirty' when they painted it thus not giving the adhesion properties needed.

Now as for you lounge chair EXPERTS perhaps you should research more about something before you come and post crap on here.
Old 4th October 2008, 01:14 PM

I don't think the OP was commenting about airworthiness, nor stating that poor paint has any correlation to an aircraft's serviceability. I believe the OP was commenting that an airline such as QANTAS should present their aircraft at a higher standard, consistent with other high standards within the airline.