Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

Old 29th April 2009, 10:32 AM

Wink

My point exactly, Ken. Unless your speed restrictions are specifically cancelled, then the STAR restrictions still apply.

If ATC issues an instruction above 10000' (which it usually does prior to TOPD) of "Max speed on descent", in the absence of specifically directed instructions cancelling STAR speeds, then you must reduce to 250 by 10000'.

Quite clear, really.
Old 29th April 2009, 10:35 AM

Hugh I would take your paragraph to mean an ATC clearane of 'make descent speed 300kts' does not relieve you from the 250kts below 10000ft. ie (as you quoted) A speed restriction greater than 250KT issued above 10,000FT does not vary this requirement.

A statement of 'cancel speed restrictions' means exactly that, there are no speed restrictions for your descent. From a purely practical point of view this appears to be how ATC interpret this, as this is the clearance they often give.

I have thought that the term 'cancel star speed restrictions' is an odd one in Sydney, as the 250kts below 10000ft applies even if you're NOT on a STAR. It would make perfect sense in Adelaide, where the 250 below 10000 only applies on the STAR, and therefore is a STAR speed restriction.
Old 29th April 2009, 10:42 AM

Perhaps the instruction is going to have a different meaning dependant on which city/airport the aircraft is arriving at/departing from.
Old 29th April 2009, 11:59 AM

Smile

Thanks, Chris. That's exactly what I meant

Nick, I agree. Various capital city airports seem to use slightly different phraseology to one another.
Old 29th April 2009, 04:08 PM

Chris has got it right, in fact I think we are in agreement Hugh. I think I might have misinterpreted your earlier comment to mean that the controller must say 'cancel STAR speed restrictions' rather than just 'cancel speed restrictions'.

In summary:

If the controller says 'descend at 300k', it means the 250k below 10 still applies.

If the controller says 'cancel speed restrictions', it means 'cancel STAR speed restrictions', and the 250k below 10 does NOT apply.

Last edited by Oliver A; 29th April 2009 at 04:15 PM.