Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 22nd June 2011, 10:45 AM

Default Qantas boss to outline big international shake-up

22 JUN: Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce will outline major changes to international operations in a luncheon speech to the National Press Club in Canberra today, Fairfax media reports this morning.

Fairfax speculates that the changes will include abandoning some routes and having others taken over by Jetstar.

There’s also likely to be greater use of alliance partners.

Mr Joyce on several occasion recently has made it clear that the international division is losing money and the Fairfax report puts the figure at $200m a year.

Today’s speech, which is scheduled to be broadcast on ABC-TV at 12.30pm, could be interesting in more ways than one.

Fairfax says that the airline’s industrial arch-enemy, the Transport Workers Union, is believed to have booked a table at the lunch.

-----------------

I thought as an airline to survive it should expand and not contract. I guess it won't be too long and Qantas wil be taken over as the larget interntional airline even out of Sydney - what a joke that would be!!

Last edited by Malcolm Parker; 22nd June 2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Parker View Post
I thought as an airline to survive it should expand and not contract. I guess it won't be too long and Qantas wil be taken over as the larget interntional airline even out of Sydney - what a joke that would be!!
To survive they need to make money! So no point expanding or continuing routes that could/are loosing money.
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:57 AM

I am curious to see if QF will do anything to their PVG and NRT services. It seems to me that these two routes hardly get a decent loading. I am also keen to find out if they will touch their DFW route.

---------

My first A380 flight in December
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:53 PM

Well if Royal Brunei has just cut all routes down under except MEL then nothing from Qantas will surprise me

Next Trips:
Feb BNE-CBR-BNE, QF
18May BNE-DPS-KUL-PEN-SIN-BNE, VA/AirAsia/QF
05Oct BNE-YVR-PDX-YVR-BNE, AC
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:50 PM

announcement on August 24th, what a contemptuous ****.

be interesting to see how long share-holders stick with Joyce.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:29 PM

What do you want him to do Montague? You know there are rules that CEO's have to play by to manage the stock market and the ASX in general, Qantas afterall is a publicly listed company, not the state owned benevolent society some think or wish Qantas to be. Indeed even Virgin did the same, by announcing an outline of their basic plan a few months before, along with a date for all when will be revealed.

I personally trust that he will do what NEEDS/MUST to be done and I think for the time being at least the board is happy they have someone who will make and do the hard decisions to get the company re-invigorated. It is just a pity that about all that is left is workforce reform hence all this mud slinging and character assassination of Joyce in particular. It wouldn't matter who was at the helm, even Borghetti, the message and realities would be the same.
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:37 PM

Maybe a massive colour change to silver.It was said when Joyce went over he was there for alternative reasons
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:41 PM

Maybe that is exactly what is needed to keep the company alive and the majority of the Australian workforce in jobs!

I do wonder how a silver livery with an orange kangaroo on the tail would look?
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
What do you want him to do Montague? You know there are rules that CEO's have to play by to manage the stock market and the ASX in general, Qantas afterall is a publicly listed company, not the state owned benevolent society some think or wish Qantas to be. Indeed even Virgin did the same, by announcing an outline of their basic plan a few months before, along with a date for all when will be revealed.

I personally trust that he will do what NEEDS/MUST to be done and I think for the time being at least the board is happy they have someone who will make and do the hard decisions to get the company re-invigorated. It is just a pity that about all that is left is workforce reform hence all this mud slinging and character assassination of Joyce in particular. It wouldn't matter who was at the helm, even Borghetti, the message and realities would be the same.
After reading all your nonsense it appears as plain as day to me that you have no idea if the significance of August 24th.

Thanks for telling me what I already knew.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:47 PM

Please do tell what is significant about August 24, other than the fact that is the day of the Qantas announces their final year results. Though let me guess that was also the date Jetstar was first announced?

PS you, or any others for that matter have not actually said what they would do if they were Joyce to turn Qantas around, or are many in denial thinking $500m is a good profit and the company is running along fine and not in danger of total collapse?

Last edited by Ash W; 22nd June 2011 at 09:54 PM.