Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

Old 6th May 2009, 08:55 AM

Hi Will,

Its odd isn't it! Same applies for London. That said, I believe BA have 0' minima for their 744's, so I guess we're a bit primative in this part of the world! haha.

The sooner Melbourne gets its cat II or III the better really!
Old 6th May 2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen H View Post
The sooner Melbourne gets its cat II or III the better really!
I remember from reading last year that Melbourne is getting ILS cat IIIa/b installed and should be ready for opereation sometime this year.
Old 6th May 2009, 11:11 AM

Will or Owen, might be able to help.

While reading through the Head Office NOTAM's the other day (and the week before and the week before, etc.), I noticed this NOTAM:

AD FROM: 12 010615 TO: PERM YMMM C7899/08 REVIEW C7078/08
A380 OPERATIONS
EXCEPT AT YSSY, YBBN AND YMML, WHERE SPECIFIC CALCULATIONS HAVE BEEN
CONFIRMED, A380 PILOTS MUST USE LOC MDA IN LIEU OF PUBLISHED ILS DA
REF AIP DAP EAST AND WEST

Why can't the A380 use the ILS DA? I would have thought the minima is the same for everyone (of the same category of course)?

Mick
Old 6th May 2009, 12:33 PM

Mike, I believe that's because the ILS Decisions Alts have only been surveyed for Category D aircraft, except at those specific airports mentioned. I'm sure that Cat E surveys will be carried out in due course for the remaining airports/runways that are A380-capable.

I'm sure someone else out there will be able to add further information?
Old 6th May 2009, 12:56 PM

Will would the 0ft RA at Auckland be due to the Autoland capabilities of the Airbus aircraft? From memory Airbus aircraft can still perform an Autoland from an altitude of 100ft and under with no G/S (the aircraft uses inertial reference to set the aircraft on the tarmac) and from 20ft and under (maybe 10ft? cant quite recall) with no LOC signal so perhaps that has something to do with it?
Old 6th May 2009, 01:16 PM

Will, even Sydney doesn't have Cat E on the ILS though.

Unless they've needed to resurvey it for Cat D?

And Nick, Boeing aircraft are also capable of Autoland.

Cheers

Mick
Old 6th May 2009, 01:21 PM

Nick the 0ft RA is an Airbus thing not an Auckland thing.
Old 6th May 2009, 01:24 PM

Mike, if you mean the charts don't show a dedicated Cat E minima, then you're right. But I believe the 'specific calculations' referred to in that NOTAM are the results of a survey conducted at those specific airports, which allows them to use the full Category D minima, even though they're technically Category E.
Old 6th May 2009, 01:35 PM

I know less about it than Will (as usual!), but I can remember the initial notams restricted the A380 to LOC minimas except for at Sydney, but they have clearly now done the surveys for Brissie and Melbourne too.

I guess whenever you have such a large new aircraft, with different geometry etc, you will need to confirm that the installations are suitable for that aircraft.

NickN, it would also be an operator thing. As I said before, BA use 0ft as the minima on their 744's... just depends what you can convince the regulator and manufacturer to give you I suppose!

For all intents and purposes, however, 20ft and 0ft are the same thing... if you can't see the runway at 20ft you are unlikely to have the required 100m (75 for the 'bus) visibility anyway.
Old 6th May 2009, 02:24 PM

Mick, I understand Boeing have autoland, just not familiar with the limitations of the system.

Quote:
NickN, it would also be an operator thing. As I said before, BA use 0ft as the minima on their 744's... just depends what you can convince the regulator and manufacturer to give you I suppose!

For all intents and purposes, however, 20ft and 0ft are the same thing... if you can't see the runway at 20ft you are unlikely to have the required 100m (75 for the 'bus) visibility anyway.
Your right Owen, was just putting the suggestion forward to see if it was related thats all.