Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

Old 26th April 2008, 11:25 PM

I use Rosco Lens Tissue with cleaner. I book of 100 sheets and fluid is about $10-$15 from places like Videocraft.

Or just any glass cleaning fluid is easy to get from any optometrist, just don't use a no name type glass cleaner.
Old 27th April 2008, 05:35 PM

Jethro, I was told not to use any fluid when cleaning lenses by a lady at Camera House Parramatta. However I have always thought it is needed on most occasions to remove as much dust as possible. I'll invest in some of the stuff you use.
Old 27th April 2008, 05:48 PM

Your camera 'expert' also told you not to use a filter too Nick.

Paul
Old 27th April 2008, 09:06 PM

Generally I stay 'dry' with the Rosco sheets only.

I only use the fluid when cleaning my right camera up after some major work. (I am talking about a broadcast TV camera with a $20 grand of Cannon lens on the front)

But I treat my stills the same.

With fluid, you use the smallest amount.

Here is a couple suppliers web pages:
http://www.videocraft.com.au/cat/ind...duct_id=163938
https://www.gettingcreative.com.au/p...roducts_id=239

JH
Old 27th April 2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel S. View Post
(For the record, I do use protective filters - albeit expensive, multicoated B+Ws).
Hi guys. I've been away from SYD working and have actually have met up with a serious pro who was there to take pics from the concert. One of the things we've talked about was the UV filters as glass protecion. As mentioned before the pro's seem to either love or hate the protection, but those who use them say that it's no use buying expensive multicoated ones since the lens is already multicoated, so apparently even the uncoated UV's do the job sufficiently. Plus they say the advantage of uncoated filters is that you can just wash them with water and soap.
Old 28th April 2008, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzysztof Malek View Post
Plus they say the advantage of uncoated filters is that you can just wash them with water and soap.
Funny you mention that, I know a professional wedding photographer who swears black and blue he washes his UV filters in the dishwasher - always thought he was full of it!

Jetphotos.net Shots
Airliners.net Shots
Old 28th April 2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzysztof Malek View Post
...it's no use buying expensive multicoated ones since the lens is already multicoated, so apparently even the uncoated UV's do the job sufficiently.
That's not correct. The multicoating serves to minimise surface reflection, which in turn reduces flare and ghosting. A multicoated front lens element means nothing when there's another piece of glass in front of it.

Additionally, the better quality filter multicoatings are scratch-resistant and water and dirt repellent.
Old 28th April 2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Your camera 'expert' also told you not to use a filter too Nick.
The "expert" who told me that is actually George Seper, professional photographer. George has shot for Vogue, Cleo, Cosmopolitan, Vogue Italia, Madame Figaro, Gentleman's Quarterly, Martha Stewart Living, Gourmet, Gourmet Traveller, Wedgewood, Royal Doulton, McDonalds, Sara Lee, Bell Magazine, House and Garden, Home Beautiful, Better Home and Gardens, Ritz carlton Hotels, Hilton Hotels, Qantas and Air Lanka as well as many others so I suppose he is well qualified to give such advice?

I think I'll stick to his opinions over your "less qualified?" repertoire?
Old 28th April 2008, 07:52 PM
Prolific Member

Well, blow me down!

I never thought I'd see the day when Martha Stewart Living would get mentioned on this aviation forum

And please Nick, DO NOT EVER LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN.....EVER!!!!!!!!!
Old 28th April 2008, 08:16 PM

And I never thought I'd see the day when a lens cleaning discussion ran to three pages of posts . . . . .

There is no right or wrong answer where the use of protective filter is concerned. More a case of personal preference and risk assessment. And as these messages prove, the pros are as much divided on the issue as us mere amateurs.