Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th March 2008, 01:10 PM
Prolific Member

Default The ever changing face of Sydney Airport

Since the old board went down and the new one came into existance, there have been a few changes around the traps, and a few more about to happen.

Here's a quick update:

Dom-3B is a new apron area that has opened between Hangar 3 and Dom-4 (old domestic express terminal area). It currently has bays Foxtrot 13-16 plus their secondary parking positions. At this stage, only Bays F13, 15 and 16 are in use. Fox 14 is more of a layover bay.
The old Fox 15/16 bays in front of Hangar 83 have been removed completely.

Now that Dom-3B is open for business, preparations are being made for the demolition of the old Ansett Hangar 83 (immediately to the east of the Fox 1-6 bays). When it's gone, Hangar 3 (used for corporate stuff) will be left standing all on its lonesome, and works will commence to construct Dom-3A where Hangar 83 now stands.

Bays 20 and 22 have been demolished as per this thread http://yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=71

Cheers
Old 30th March 2008, 01:12 PM

It would be great if they also built a LCC terminal for a tiger to live in

Last edited by Lukas M; 30th March 2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 30th March 2008, 01:38 PM

Lukas, would you mind editing your post to exclude the quote? You're the first respondant to Nigels post so theres no real need to quote him?

Re Tiger, have they announced an intention to operate into Sydney? In its present form I'm not sure there is room for another operator within T2 is this correct Nigel?
Old 30th March 2008, 01:49 PM

No no word on a tiger moving to Syd Serioulsy if there doing work to the airport, why not build a LCCT somewhere off the runway, and connect it with a road!

Old 30th March 2008, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the update Nigel. I haven't been out to the airport since Feb!!! So by the sounds of it when I get out there next I will notice some changes.

Is there any way of getting a map that indicates the names of all the aprons. I don't know the names too well, however when you describe a location I know exactly what you mean.

Cheers

M
Old 30th March 2008, 02:51 PM

Any chance of some pics Nigel?
Old 30th March 2008, 03:00 PM

Mark, you can find the charts here. Select Sydney, then the chart that you want.
Old 30th March 2008, 06:05 PM
Prolific Member

Hi Craig,
I'm not privvy to the negotiations or news regarding new airlines. From what I can see, the T2 terminal's pretty full at the moment and with the old Domestic Express Terminal being leased out as office space, I'm not sure where they could go

Lukas, if it were that simple, I'm sure Macquarie would have jumped at the chance to build another terminal. Try having a look at the masterplan located on the www.sydneyairport.com website; that may give you an idea as to where the airport thinks it will be in 10 or 20 years time (not really sure of the projection of the masterplan...I've never really taken an interest in it!)

Brenden, for you? No chance! haha.
I'm sure somewhere in your collection of pics from your time around the traps you'd have shots of the old Hangar 1/2/3/83 complex.
With a bit of smart editing, you can digitally remove Hangars 1 and 2, add some light poles, a fence and some taxi cabs behind it. Then put 3 Rex Saabs in front of the fence and voila! you have yourself one Dom-3B apron!
When you've done it, please share!I'll see what I can do tomorrow night...I might be able to squeeze just one pic of the whole area for you!

The Hangar 83 area now has a concrete and chain mesh fence around it. A worksplan has been issued, so demolition should start sometime this week I'd imagine.
Old 30th March 2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
only Bays F13, 15 and 16 are in use. Fox 14 is more of a layover bay
This new apron is causing a few issues from what I heard - among other things there's no provision for Saabs to be reverse-parked. The problem is the tailwind limit for starting them up - with a strong southerly blowing they will sometimes need to be repositioned to enable them to start, which is a little inconvenient!
Old 30th March 2008, 07:29 PM

Nigel,
Whats happened to Barton Park spot for aircraft arriving on 07 and 25 Departures. I visited there yesterday and noticed half of carpark was fenced off and only location is at the end of a LOOONG football field with long grass which is very spiky and hard to navigate and only then you are afforded a partial view of landing aircraft on 07. this was one of the best spotters locations what happened? Im assuming the runway extension is the reason they closed it?
Matt