Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 21st December 2008, 04:32 PM
Prolific Member

Greg, I presume you're from Melbourne?

Quote:
I never buy ULP from Caltex/Woolworths..
Which I think is funny, given that Caltex in Victoria buys a lot of its fuel from the Mobil refinery in Melbourne, and the same reciprocal trade occurs for Mobil in Sydney where Caltex owns one of the refineries (Shell owning the other one up here).

When you have time, have a squiz at this: http://www.accc.gov.au/content/item....holesaling.pdf

Cheers
Old 21st December 2008, 04:36 PM

Yeah well before the Caltex/Woolworths merger/agreement Woolies used the cheap el crapo stuff.
They still do but its hit 'n miss as caltex also have ways of sourcing fuel.

Well United buy the Trafigura crap,and I see loads of Toll trucks there too which normally go to Woolies outlets.

P.S Trafigura is also right near my work, but at the moment its Nameless, apparently its been sold???????
Old 21st December 2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
Another reason to stay away from Caltex (Woolworths) as well as Shell (Coles, although I don't know about their petrol quality) on top of these two companies trying to monopolise evrything thing retail.
Half of what he was saying is true half was not. But for example most of Caltex's fuel in Australia is actually refined on-shore, and like ALL retailers in Australia some does indeed come from off-shore suppliers.

I mean to say anyone flying into Sydney airport has a 50/50 chance of flying over their plant at Kurnell and they have one in Brisbane too. Indeed if I am not mistaken Mobil fuel in NSW and QLD is mostly suppled by Caltex.

Bottom line is where the fuel comes from varies from state to state and in some cases week to week too. Also all fuel sold in Aust meets minimum standards. What can and does effect fuel quality is how it is stored.
Old 21st December 2008, 08:59 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
Half of what he was saying is true half was not. .
Okay to clarify,
On the Peninsula area Of Victoria United Fuel & Safeway Fuel (the ones that were Safeway+ Petrol before the merger with Caltex) use Trafigura PRE MADE overseas fuel with little / No refinery in Australia!
Old 21st December 2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg F View Post
Okay to clarify,
On the Peninsula area Of Victoria United Fuel & Safeway Fuel (the ones that were Safeway+ Petrol before the merger with Caltex) use Trafigura PRE MADE overseas fuel with little / No refinery in Australia!
Yeah that is about right and paints an entirly different picture of things.

BTW as you are probably aware Trafigura is a trader and not a refiner of petrol and other fuels.
Old 21st December 2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Yeah Very true! After the stories I have heard, not just from work but friends of the family with clogged injectors and water in the fuel! I never buy ULP from Caltex/Woolworths..

Not sure about Coles/Shell I will find out when I get back to work..

Not that I think Mobil are 'great'! they all are ripping us off! but at least Mobil Refine in Australia and employ the local people to do it! and its the same price as Woolies fuel!
I can bet you that some of the private service station operators are even worse.
Old 23rd December 2008, 03:38 PM

no longer in the $30's, back up above $44 a barrel.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 26th December 2008, 01:24 PM

..... and now back down to $37. Rollercoaster ride at the moment.
Old 26th December 2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
..... and now back down to $37. Rollercoaster ride at the moment.
This is the reason why fuel companies would be loathed to enter into any long term fixed price supply contract at the moment.
Old 27th December 2008, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Yeah Very true! After the stories I have heard, not just from work but friends of the family with clogged injectors and water in the fuel! I never buy ULP from Caltex/Woolworths..
Gday guys. I have been following this thread with great interest and thought I might add my 2 cents worth. I have been using woolies fuel for years. I use it in my V6 Prado 4WD, Holden Barina, ski boat and in my motorcycle (CBR600). I have never experienced any troubles with any of my engines/injectors in the vehicles/boat listed above. The Prado has 110,000km's on the clock and 90 per cent of those km's are on Woolies fuel. The Barina has 32,000km on the clock and 100 percent of those are on woolies fuel as the car is leased and came with a caltex fuel card.

Most of the time I use woolies premium ulp(believe it is caltex vortex) fuel in the boat but on the odd occasion have used BP ultimate. I do notice a slight increase in performance using the BP over the Vortex.

Cheers

Last edited by Jason Mac; 27th December 2008 at 01:49 AM. Reason: added more info