Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th January 2009, 07:19 AM

Default little Johnny causing delays for QF.

seems the former member for Bennelong has caused some delays to QF 107, I take it he is enroute to the US so he can collect his award from his friend, George Bush?

turns out that Howard has tuned the taxpayer by almost $200,000 in the last year alone for travel.

Quote:
Howard blamed for plane delay
Paul Bibby
January 13, 2009

HE HAS already drawn ire in the US by booking Barack Obama's pre-inauguration pad, but former prime minister John Howard may have also angered others yesterday.

The US-bound Qantas flight taking John and Janette Howard to the US was delayed by about an hour yesterday afternoon, leaving scores of US holidaymakers returning home with a frustrating wait.

The airline said the delay of flight 107 was simply the result of routine cabin cleaning and the search for a missing passenger.

But passengers told family and friends that Qantas had decided to undertake an extra security check because of Mr Howard's presence on the flight.

"We're having a longer delay because the (former) prime minister's in my flight," said one passenger in a text message. "So they're checking everyone's bags (again)."

The passenger's relative, Steve Samson, said this was not the only message of frustration.

"We were on the observation deck, not knowing what was going on, and a guy said his 17-year-old daughter was on board and he was getting messages saying exactly the same thing," Mr Samson said.

"They were all saying that the flight was delayed because Qantas had decided to check everyone's bags because Mr Howard was on board …

"You've got to wonder what's going on when they decided to step up security just because there's a prominent person on board."

Qantas confirmed yesterday a "certain former prime minister" was on the flight but it was adamant the delay had nothing to do with increased security.

"There was a 55-minute delay due to cabin cleaning and presentation requirements and the need to locate a missing passenger," a Qantas spokesman said.

Mr and Mrs Howard made headlines in the US last week as a result of their booking for the Washington residence, Blair House, on January 12.

The family of the President-elect, Barack Obama, had hoped to move into the traditional pre-inauguration residence earlier this month, but were forced to change plans because of the Howard booking.

"It's probably not Mr Howard's fault, but you've got to wonder what image of Australia they're getting," Mr Samson said.
http://www.theage.com.au/travel/howa...0112-7f8o.html

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 13th January 2009, 08:09 AM

What a croc... I don't think Mr. Howard would have booked Blair House himself and put an AMEX card down as a deposit. The US State Dept or someone would have organised it.

As for the Qantas flight, if it was for an extra security check, fair enough, but what does that say for the security check on all other 'normal' flights?

I guess the popularity of Kevin Dudd as apposed to Howard may mean he has a few enemies.
Old 13th January 2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Butterworth View Post
What a croc... I don't think Mr. Howard would have booked Blair House himself and put an AMEX card down as a deposit. The US State Dept or someone would have organised it.

As for the Qantas flight, if it was for an extra security check, fair enough, but what does that say for the security check on all other 'normal' flights?
I thought they did do an extra bag search for all US flights. Well the last time I flew to the US they did (2004) hence the reason why QF general flys US flights from the gates nearest the freight terminal which are seperate from the rest.
Old 13th January 2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
I thought they did do an extra bag search for all US flights. Well the last time I flew to the US they did (2004) hence the reason why QF general flys US flights from the gates nearest the freight terminal which are seperate from the rest.
Last time I caught 107, we had a pat-down body search and a hand inspection of carry-on.

So yeah sounds like situation normal and nothing to do with Mr Howard.