Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Trip Reports

Old 10th April 2014, 09:17 PM

Default Trip Report: Alliance & Qantaslink BNE-MKY-BNE (Photos)

Introduction:

My dad moved up to Mackay in mid-March due to work, I had a couple of days off at the start of April so decided to pop up for a visit before my work gets crazy with the Easter rush. I used my parents Qantas FF points for the flights. I would fly up in the morning on Wednesday, 2 April on a Fokker 100 and back the following day in the late afternoon on a Boeing 717. Had just acquired two new lens’, so it would be a good opportunity to test them out.

Brisbane Airport:

Woke up just before 6 and caught the train to the airport. Arrived at around 7:30, checked in and dropped off the bag (as I was bringing up a few things). I just sat down at the gate and waited. Soon my aircraft arrived from Mackay and it was VH-XWT, new rego for me. Alliance operate one or two flights a day for Qantaslink to Mackay.

XWT taxiing in

Boarding commenced on-time and soon I was walking out to my Fokker 100! Flight this morning was pretty full.

April 2, 2014
Qantaslink (operated by Alliance)
QF2644
BNE-MKY
VH-XWT F100
Seat 18A

About to hop on-board

18A! Best seat in the house!

Soon we were pushed back and then taxiing out to RWY19. No aircraft to wait for so we made a quick alpha 3 departure. Love the sound of those engines! Awesome!

Over the northern suburbs after making the usual right hand turn after the 19 departure

Passing Redcliffe, loving the new Sigma 10-20mm wide angle lens!

About to pass over Bribie Island with the Bribie Bridge visible below

We then passed the Sunshine Coast before crossing the coast over Noosa. The first officer gave a very informative update over the P/A which was fantastic. For the morning flight, light refreshment was offered which was a little custard scroll. I also had a juice. We cruised at 34000ft. We then passed over Gladstone and to the east of Rockhampton before starting our descent into Mackay. It got quite bumpy as we passed through the clouds.

On downwind for RWY14

Mackay Airport

Quite a bumpy approach into RWY14. We were moving around a bit and as we neared touchdown I thought it might be a bumpy one, but it was pretty smooth unfortunately :P

The terminal as we begin to backtrack

De-boarding the plane was quick and easy. I got the wide-angle lens out again and took a few cabin shots.

Dad picked me up and took me back to his place. Over the day and a bit I was there we just drove around Mackay and had a look at the places of interest, as he is still learning the area. We did a bit of spotting on Thursday to fill in some time.

VNC heading back to Melbourne

VH-XWT is back! Quite a good spot at the end of the runway.

VOS departing back to Brisbane. She is in desperate need of a repaint!
Old 10th April 2014, 09:18 PM

Dad dropped me off at the airport just after 3:30pm. I checked in for the flight and then sat out in the outdoor observation area which is quite nice.

VUY arrives from Brisbane

NXG arrives from Brisbane. My plane home, third time on NXG!

VQL then arrived from Brisbane so the departures lounge was packed. Three flights leaving to Brisbane at the same time. Boarding for all three flights started at the exact same time! So that confused several people. Many people for the Jetstar flight accidently joined the Qantaslink line and vice versa! Anyway, soon enough I was on the way to VH-NXG!

April 3, 2014
Qantaslink
QF1769
MKY-BNE
VH-NXG B712
Seat 21A

Boarding!

My view! Row 22 or possibly 23 would probably be best now that the 717s have 25 rows rather than 23.

We taxied out before VA and JQ. VH-QOF was now here as well doing the milk-run up to Cairns. Would’ve made a good photo of them all lined up if it weren’t for the sun being right in my face. We backtracked the runway and departed off 14. I took a video which I will try to put on YouTube in the coming days. We climbed straight out of Mackay giving me an excellent view of the coast and the 20-30 ships waiting out to sea!

Light load on today’s flight. Probably around 60% full? I had the seat next to me free and rows around me looked rather empty. We received a snack box on the flight which contained a salami stick, cheese and biscuits, spiced corn nuts, a little piece of dark chocolate and small water. I also grabbed a can of coke. We cruised at 33000 feet.

Starting our descent at dusk. Looked like a nice sunset, unfortunately I was on the wrong side for it.

Brisbane City on base for RWY01

On finals for RWY01 with the city and the gabba visible.

We touched down on RWY01 on-time and taxied to the terminal. Disembarking was smooth since we had a light load.

VBZ seen here as I make my way out of the terminal

That’s the end of my short Mackay trip!

Thanks for reading!

Conclusion:

An enjoyable little trip! Love flying on the Fokker 100s and Boeing 717s! Awesome planes! It was nice to explore Mackay as well, quite a nice place. I will probably be flying up there every month or so to visit.

Next trip is my big two week holiday to Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan in May/June! Can’t wait!

Cheers!

Brandon
Old 13th April 2014, 09:43 AM

Excellent trip report. Where did you do most of the photographing outside the terminal?
Old 13th April 2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie Davis View Post
Excellent trip report. Where did you do most of the photographing outside the terminal?
Thanks Mackenzie. The photos of Tiger, Alliance and Virgin were taken from Bridge Road. Great spotting location.
Old 14th April 2014, 01:53 PM

Well done - That engine looked cool on the Alliance F100 - Definetly picking that seat next time I go on a 717 or F100

Look forward to the next report - Wherever it is
Old 17th April 2014, 07:59 PM

This is very well done job with amazing photos. Thanks for sharing.
Old 26th April 2014, 02:47 PM

Great report Brandon!

JetPhotos.net (1381 Photos)