Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

Old 21st September 2009, 11:09 AM

Default Trip Report to the USA

28th August Arrived at Sydney airport at 1000Hrs we had no problems with checking in.I was on QF11 to LA.I received some free tickets to the QANTAS lounge thanks to AMEX.

A free feed before we go bonus.I boarded VH-OQC on time.

I sat down and we were offered a drink (Champagne, water and orange juice).I was sitting in 36K (window on the right side) in Premium Economy.

My first impressions were that there was plenty of leg room and the seats were a good size. I was impressed with the storage bins in-between the seat and the interior wall. Very handy if you don’t want to get up and down for your over head luggage. The bin fit my 17 inch lap top in it so there is plenty of room. On takeoff I found the A380 to be very smooth. Unfortunately we had no internet on the flight but the power point to keep the lap top working was good. We had a choice of Beef or Chicken for Lunch/Dinner . I would give this meal a 7/10.I was impressed with the in-flight entertainment system. A fold away touch screen with plenty to do and watch. They do say that it has over 1000 options to do. When we arrived at Lax on 24R we were early. When we were getting of the plane I asked the flight attendant if I could have a look at the cockpit she then asked the captain and he was happy with that he even took the photo me and my wife sitting in the seats.

We had no problems getting through custom, quarantine and collecting our baggage. We stayed at the Radisson LAX a good decision as I found out that they had a viewing platform it was only small but you looked over 25R and L and you could see 24R,L approach it was plane after plane after plane.

The room was very comfortable and there was no noise from the aircraft within the room so you could get a good night sleep. We did go over to the Inn and Out Burger but i wasn’t impressed with that location.

So I went back to the Hotel
This is going to be a big trip report so I am going to have to add a little of the trip each month due to the restraints on picture down loads on Flicker.So stay Tunned.
Old 21st September 2009, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the report Andrew. Was a good read so far. Some great photos included too (both lots). Look forward to reading more and some more pics.

Cheers

Old 22nd September 2009, 08:19 PM

Bugger ! Stayed there on the 1st August but didn't know about the viewing platform .. must agree about the rooms very good, may have cost a little more then some around there but also very convenient
Old 1st October 2009, 06:15 PM

Part 2 of the Trip report.

29th a full day of spotting on top the Hotel again.

This was funny taking this photo I had my tripod set up taking some pics when a motor cycle police pulled up behind us.He got of his bike and came over a stood next to us.He didn't ask what I was doing it seemed to me that he was bored and just wanted to talk someone.My wife and I ended up getting a photo on his bike.

[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com
/2602/3971373068_107d7063f0_b.jpg[/IMG]

Old 1st October 2009, 06:33 PM

30th I took advantage of the platform again before our flight to Las Vegas. After 59 minute flight on an AA MD80 we arrived at LV.We checked in and walked the strip.

Torrance Minicipal

This is a fly over view of one of the LAX cargo areas.

Nellis AFB

Last edited by andrew evans; 1st October 2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 1st October 2009, 07:11 PM

The Luxor Hotel that is the Hotel we stayed in.

Old 1st October 2009, 07:53 PM

Great photos Andrew - deja vu for me because I was in Vegas two months ago and stayed in the Luxor too (complete with window view over McCarran of course! ). The two SP's based there look great among the large number of private jets.

I know LAX is a dump but it is a great spotting airport!
Old 1st October 2009, 08:10 PM

Hi Andrew,
Some awesome pics mate, thanks heaps for sharing. I'm hoping to head to USA sometime next year and this has just refreshed my enthusiasm! From the LA
hotel obs area, what areas of the airport could you clearly photograph and what sort of focal length did you need?
Gareth
Old 1st October 2009, 08:34 PM

Gday Gareth I stayed at the Raddison hotel and that had a little viewing platform.I was using a 70-300mm lense.I do believe the other locations are the inn and out burger and Imperial Hill.I was not impressed by the Inn and Out Burger for a Photo location.I didn't make over to Imperial Hill.I was very happy with the hotel.If you are thinking of going over plan it around the red flag in vegas I will put those photos up next.
Old 1st October 2009, 08:41 PM

Probably a silly question but is the Raddison platform available for off the street or do you need to have a room there? Great pics by the way!