Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 25th November 2022, 09:17 AM

Default Alan Joyce's controversial recent Social Media interview

While I will admit that this interview with Alan Joyce came about as a result of some 'ambush journalism' on the street, I want to bring the matter to your attention, as it doesn't seem to have been discussed or even noticed around here...

There is a Sydney-based social media identity who calls himself 'The Aussie Cossack'. His real name is Simeon Boikov. Although his activism and his political viewpoint does not appeal to all (he's very pro-Russia in the Ukraine conflict), he certainly got a reaction from Alan Joyce.

It seems the Aussie Cossack spotted Joyce walking along George Street near Martin Place in Sydney last week. Camera in hand, Cossack approached Joyce to question him about his handling of un-vaccinated Qantas staff and passengers.

(Qantas continues to maintain strict control over its passengers and staff when other airline have relaxed their protocols due to a perceived decline in COVID-19.)

Joyce obviously didn't appreciated being quizzed on the matter and let fly with a few F-Offs and P-Offs.

I was shocked to see Joyce talking so bluntly on camera. Here's the YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X_mfUQYEbE
Old 25th November 2022, 01:11 PM

It's fair to say I think his time clock is ticking. Regardless of what you think of him, no CEO should be around for that long. That was always the risk of hiring him young.

Once a management consultant, always a management consultant.
Old 25th November 2022, 03:08 PM

I read about it the other day, but refuse to click on the video, as it is clickbait and essentially enabling the bad behavior of this "Journo"
Old 26th November 2022, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden S View Post
I read about it the other day, but refuse to click on the video, as it is clickbait and essentially enabling the bad behavior of this "Journo"
I agree that 'The Aussie Cossack' is a stirrer and a smart-alec, but I was still shocked by Alan Joyce's choice of words.

I rarely fly Qantas these days (Virgin Australia gets my money - cheaper prices for equal standards of service) and Joyce has had more than his fair share of critics for his handling of.. well, just about everything.

Virgin Australia, whether you like them or not, probably gave Qantas the shake-up and wake-up call that they needed.
Old 27th November 2022, 08:46 AM

Done to generate a narrative that didnt exist, to get a reaction that could go on a youtube channel.

95k in views - just being done to make money.

Move along