Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Trip Reports

Old 16th May 2011, 11:14 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South
Default Trip Report YSBK-YORG-YSBK

After five cancelled attempts to fly out to Orange because of weather, Sunday was a picture perfect day in Sydney and over the mountains to the west.

Arrived at Bansktown at 0735, completed the paperwork for Archer II SFA which had just come out of maintenance. Checked the weather and submitted my flight plan, then headed out to the aircraft for a preflight inspection and to complete the flight plan based on the forecast (20kts from 230 at 7000ft). Takeoff from 29R was at 0852 and I tracked out past the radio masts north of Hoxton park to Mulgoa (Transponder change to 1200 as I left the control zone).

Turned towards Katoomba at heading 280 and climbed to 6500ft. The Garmin 430 was showing a ground speed of 110kts which was about right for the predicted winds. I set YKAT then YBTH on the Garmin and followed the pink line all the way.

Bathurst airport looked good as I tracked overhead and there was quite a few movements in the circuit. There was a clear view on Mount Panorama out to the left, with pit straight and the signature white Mount Panorama sign on the mountain itself.

On descent into Orange I changed to the left tank and made a ten nm radio call with intentions to enter the circuit for Runway 29 (westerly in the forecast). As I approached the airport a Jabiru called it's departure on Runway 11 so I overflew the airport to check the windsock. The wind was light but slightly favouring the 11 direction, so I descented on the dead side and made my first approach for a touch and go.

As I climbed out from Runway 11 the Captain of the Rex Saab asked me if I could extend my downwind to give then time to backtrack on the runway for a 11 departure. After a long downwind, I turned base and then onto final, however the Saab was still sitting on the threshold. I continued the approach mentally asking the Saab to get going. Finally they accelerated down 11 and lifted off with enough time for me to avoid any prop wash from the Saab.

A second touch and go completed, I headed towards Orange to photograph my niece's property, which looked great against the blue water in the dam. Photography done it was onto heading 090 for Bathurst and a climb to 5500ft.

On the 10nm radio call approaching Bathurst, I had another aircraft tracking north south to Wagga at 4500ft, and a Jabiru departing Bathurst and heading for Mount Panorama.

The whole trip was smooth air all the way except for a few bumps as I descended over the mountains to Mulgoa. Heading 076 for Prospect and when I made the call at Prospect at 1500ft, there were quite a few aircraft movements at Bankstown, the controller was flat out. A quick change of the transponder to 3000 then joining downwind I received the "Clear Visual Approach" and then "Clear to Land" on base for Runway 29 Right.

I taxied in past the Model Show and parked on the grass opposite. What a really enjoyable flight on such a beautiful day for flying.

Overhead Wentworth Falls with Katoomba in the background

Oberon out to the south

Approaching Bathurst with the airport just above the nose

Overhead Bathurst airport at 6500ft

Mount Panorama race track

On descent into Orange

The trip back between Bathurst and Katoomba, what a beautiful day for flying

Looking north to the Bells Line Of Road

Katoomba airport

On descent to Mulgoa, the picture perfect day in Sydney does not look so good at 5000ft
Old 17th May 2011, 07:02 AM

Now that's living!!

Great report Grahame, quite a different perspective to the usual TR!!! What beautiful conditions you had!

JetPhotos.net (1381 Photos)
Old 17th May 2011, 08:53 AM

Awesome!

would love to do a day trip like that someday, head out to Mudgee also.
Old 18th May 2011, 05:18 PM

Fantastic trip report there Grahame. Despite the cold, at least the weather is so much better than it used to be a couple of months ago.

I can't wait until I do my YSBK-YBTH-YSBK nav now
Old 18th May 2011, 07:09 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Hi Russell, This was my 5th attempt this year to go out to Orange, had to cancel because of weather each time.

It was 6C at Bankstown when I departed and Freezing Level was 5000ft according to the Area forecast. I don't think I saw the OAT drop below 1C during the flight, but the Pitot heat (and cabin heat) was on for a good part of the time.

Hope you get a great day like Sunday for your run out to YBTH, the scenery along the track is quite interesting.
Old 18th May 2011, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the pics grahame, i've always wanted to see what Katoomba Airport looked like !

Thanks again.
Old 19th May 2011, 07:45 PM

Great report and pics Grahame, thanks for sharing

Mark
Old 20th May 2011, 09:01 AM

Great Pics Grahame. Heard you go overhead at Wenty Falls as I was out in the garden.