Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 27th March 2008, 07:27 PM

Default Need help with a Qantas 747

The last few days l have been working 250kms north of Melbourne(in the middle of nowhere)and have noticed a Qantas 747 fly over from East to West. Yesterday it went over at about 7.45am and today at around 1.pm. l'm guessing it was the Sydney-Perth flight? It also started a heated debate about how high or low it was flying.....everyone telling me it was too low. Is there any way to find out the relevant info?

Last edited by Adam Stone; 27th March 2008 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Lack of typing skills
Old 27th March 2008, 11:59 PM

Could have been the Sydney-Johannesburg flight, it has been going via overhead Melbourne the last few days. Would not have been lower than FL280.
Old 28th March 2008, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Stone View Post
The last few days l have been working 250kms north of Melbourne(in the middle of nowhere)and have noticed a Qantas 747 fly over from East to West. Yesterday it went over at about 7.45am and today at around 1.pm. l'm guessing it was the Sydney-Perth flight? It also started a heated debate about how high or low it was flying.....everyone telling me it was too low. Is there any way to find out the relevant info?
250km north of Melbourne makes it a Sydney to Perth flight. No way JNB as it would have been going to Melbourne (South West) not from east to west and would not have been seen that far north (if as you say Oliver they have been going over Melbourne which they almost always do).
Old 28th March 2008, 10:29 AM

I probably would have been the SYD-PER flight either QF575 or QF577 opperated by the B747-300 because i did this flight not too long ago and we went pretty far south down toward Adelaide the over the Great Aussie Bite.

Tim
Old 29th March 2008, 12:36 PM

Adam, The general track between Sydney and Perth can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/2p7qhz

I have also added Melbourne and Deniliquin (235kms) as a reference for your location.
Old 29th March 2008, 01:01 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bowrey View Post
I probably would have been the SYD-PER flight either QF575 or QF577 opperated by the B747-300 because i did this flight not too long ago and we went pretty far south down toward Adelaide the over the Great Aussie Bite.

Tim
It means it could have, not probably would have been the same flight.
Old 29th March 2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard smith View Post
Adam, The general track between Sydney and Perth can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/2p7qhz

I have also added Melbourne and Deniliquin (235kms) as a reference for your location.
Thanks for your help....l was not far south of Deniliquin.
Old 30th March 2008, 04:09 AM

Could have been the domestic B747-300 services which Tim has named above.

They go over the top of Adelaide.