Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 16th August 2022, 05:55 AM

Default VA ‘new’ B737-700s

Morning folks, I wondered if anyone might have some details re the 'new' VA 737-700s. We know from the press release that they will go into service in Q1 of CY23 but we still don't have any firm detail about their origin or actual EIS, do we? I ask because looking at VA schedules for January I note there are 8 lines of flying for the 73W including 6 based at BNE and 2 based out of PER. Surely this suggests the aircraft should begin arriving in Australia in the not-too-distant future? Appreciate any info, please and thank you!
Old 16th August 2022, 07:15 AM
Prolific Member

There is a significant new pilot influx with September and October start dates
Old 16th August 2022, 07:41 AM
Prolific Member

Hi Rowan everything that i have read states the 7 new 700'are to be PER based replacing the VARA F100's ?

Also what is the trick to look up the VA schedules as their are none that i can find on the their web site .You have to go in and book a flight to find out the aircraft type.I must be missing something.

Sorry i do not know their delivery details.Cheers.
Old 16th August 2022, 10:48 AM

We keep hearing that the first if the ex KLM batch is due in September, so pretty soon.

The CEO said she'd get more if she could, and expects to when KLM get their A220s to replace 73Gs... but I don't think KLM are getting A220s in their own right, only E2s.

The company line is that they'll replace the F100s, with the 73Gs initially crewed by VAA crew to relieve F100 pilots, enabling them to get 737 type ratings.

Rowan, I'd be very appreciative if you cold direct me to where the 6 lines of 73G flying ex BNE can be found.
Old 16th August 2022, 11:03 AM

...and they'll have 24K (24,000lb thrust) engines so they'll have plenty of grunt.
Old 16th August 2022, 11:05 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusef D View Post

Rowan, I'd be very appreciative if you cold direct me to where the 6 lines of 73G flying ex BNE can be found.
ROK, MKY and TSV seem popular destinations in Feb with ROK on some days 100% 737-7. If you have GDS access you can bring up timetables/scheds
Old 16th August 2022, 12:00 PM

Interesting.

I don't think I have GDS access.

I would have thought that if 737-700s are good replacements for VARA F100s in the West wouldn't they be good replacements for Alliance F100s in the East? Especially ports like ROK and NTL that don't have limiting runways.
Old 17th August 2022, 10:02 AM

Does anyone know whether the KLM frame that had the inflight cargo door issue last week will be coming over?
Old 17th August 2022, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the info, folks! I must've missed the bit about September but certainly figured they must be starting to arrive very soon.

I don't have GDS access any more either, and VA don't have online schedule/timetable like QF do, I've just used their booking system (dummy bookings only, sadly!) and verified with the seat maps that appear if you progress a little way through a booking. In mid January, the BNE-based units will be operating to ADL, CNS, MKY, ROK and TSV, with occasional CBR and HBA turns as well. The PER-based units will be operating to ADL, BME, KGI, KTA, LST, KNX, ZNE and PHE, with from memory a single DRW turn per week.
Old 17th August 2022, 12:10 PM

Very very interesting Rowan.

Again this is a little different from what the company is telling its people.

Do the airframes show a two class config? Employees were told the "VARA" 73Gs will be one class, as are the F100s and A320s. A little over 140 seats IIRC. Virgin Blue 700s had 144, and the current pair are 120Y/8J.