Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Old 8th September 2008, 02:19 AM

Default US Air / America West Merger Issues Continue

This article brings the very real differences between these two pilot groups to light. Many of the issues still remain on the surface today not helping the company or those involved. It's a very interesting piece.

MS

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2008-...real-tailspin/
Old 8th September 2008, 07:18 AM

Thanks for the post Mike - I thought things had settled down somewhat, but it appears the East pilot group is still as deluded as ever. I understand their position, but they do realise it was their airline that was bought out, not the other way round, yeah?!

I think they need a reality check - I sincerely doubt the old US would still be around today if HP didn't take them on, and that group of pilot's would be flying very junior at other airlines (if they were incredibly lucky) or pushing metal around the Mid-East or other boom regions. They're lucky to still have a job at their old base for the most part, so compromising and making the best of it would be far better than the alternate they would almost certainly have faced over the past 18 months or so.
Old 9th September 2008, 12:52 AM

The biggest heartburn I have with the whole thing is that both groups agreed to accept arbitration and abide by the outcome of the arbitrators decision then when the decision came out the east group did an about face and said no. That is simply wrong and in my book they should be held in contempt by the court system etc. Starting their own break away union doesnt help either since all it does is fragment the profession and the members ability to seek concessions/benefits from airline management as a whole entity representing all involved regardless of company.

MS
Old 9th September 2008, 04:02 PM

On a lighter note I guess this week marked the date when all flights for USAirways and the former America West transfered to the 'Cactus' callsign. It's been hilarious listening to some of the ATC conversations over the past few days,

"US Airways XXX, oh I mean Cactus XXX"
"Oh boy this is going to take a few more days"
Old 9th September 2008, 06:15 PM

Of course, to many downunder, 'cactus' is another way of saying 'broken'...