Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th November 2008, 06:35 AM

Default Air NZ Queries Watchdog's Ruling on Canadian Deal

I'm inclined to agree with Air New Zealand as I understand they have 6th(?) Freedom rights out of Aus as QF have out of NZ. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). How does Qantas get these uncompetitive situations such as South Africa and Japan while NZ and SQ (I know that's different again but to make a point)...?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/aviation/n...ectid=10544676

Quote:
4:00AM Monday Nov 24, 2008

Air New Zealand has questioned why it can't co-operate with Air Canada on flights to Vancouver when Qantas can work with South African Airways on the highly uncompetitive Johannesburg route.

And it says Qantas has a codeshare with Japan Airlines, which is its only competitor for direct services to Japan.

This was one of Air NZ's arguments as it called on the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) to be consistent.

In a preliminary decision last Thursday the ACCC blocked a proposed co-operation deal between the two airlines on flights from Auckland and Sydney to Canada. The ACCC said it was concerned the agreement could reduce competition for flights between Australia and Canada.

"Air New Zealand and Air Canada are two of the four main carriers on the route," ACCC chairman Graeme Samuel said.

The agreement involves the two airlines jointly promoting and selling direct flights between Sydney and Vancouver (operated by Air Canada) and Auckland and Vancouver (operated by Air NZ).

It also allows the airlines to share revenue on the flights.