Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

View Poll Results: What does a Qantas pilot earn?
$400-500,000 a year 2 4.00%
$200-400,000 a year 17 34.00%
$150-200,000 a year 24 48.00%
$100-150,000 a year 6 12.00%
$50-100,000 a year 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th June 2011, 10:57 PM

virgin b737 captains are on $175k as a guide
Old 9th June 2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
The poll is interesting because it might say what people think Qantas Captain's earn, rather than be what they actually earn.
That's exactly what the intention was, to see what people THINK they earn. Too many people are of the opinion it's much higher than it really is.

I tried to edit the poll to narrow that $200k band down, but unfortunately couldn't, . Should have checked that before I posted! I posted the bands for one position and then quoted another, .

Cheers

Paul
Old 12th June 2011, 08:54 AM

As long as the pilot is qualified/competent, has stuff all faith in computers, is able to think for themseleves, work as part of a team, and gets me and mine to our destination safely and "on time", WHO CARES WHAT THEY EARN!!!!!

Quite frankly it is none of our business. In just about ever single wage agreement I know of in both private and public service, discussion of individual incomes is forbidden.

I'm not saying to leave these poor malinged glorified bus drivers totally alone, just that their personal incomes are not what should be discussed by anyone.
Old 12th June 2011, 10:45 AM

Woah, settle down, .

I think what Paul was trying to do, was see what people really did think they earnt, to quell some arguement that they earn too much!

In my opinion (as a pilot myself), given the responsibility, the level of constant checking, the possibility that in 12 months time when your medical comes around, that you might not be able to fly again and the overall experience of someone in this role, they definitely DON'T earn too much.

Therefore, all this "they need to face reality" talk with regards to Qantas' employee's, is a load of rubbish.

Mick
Old 12th June 2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Stephen B wrote:
As long as the pilot is qualified/competent, has stuff all faith in computers, is able to think for themseleves, work as part of a team, and gets me and mine to our destination safely and "on time", WHO CARES WHAT THEY EARN!!!!!
I understand where you're coming from, but the pilots definitely care (and anyone involved in the industry does).

Doctors care about what they earn, but the public don't, as long as they "do their job" and "provide an adequate level of service". Same with lawyers and any other profession.

I mean, I'm sure you care very much about how much you earn, but nobody else does. Same as noone would care how much I earnt.

You are right in saying individual incomes should not be discussed in the open, but the purpose of the poll is to get an idea of what "non-aviators" think pilots get paid. To test the hypothesis that the views of the flying public are detached from the reality. Not whether pilots themselves think they earn to little or too much.

Reality is, the public don't check the wage rates for pilots, even though this is often freely available with a quick google search. So without having consulted that information, they are oblivious to the facts.

Same as how the public believes doctors are paid waaayy to much, without realising how much training, stress, responsibility, experience etc. goes into the job. Which is very much what Mick F was pointing out, only from a pilot's perspective.

Cheers
Old 12th June 2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen B View Post
WHO CARES WHAT THEY EARN!!!!!
I'm not saying to leave these poor malinged glorified bus drivers totally alone,
And that is the very reason Jetstar exists and can pay their pilots peanuts. No one seems to care besides fellow pilots and the unions.

I also find the glorified bus driver a pretty offensive connotation. I'm sure fellow pilots would too.

Richard De Crespigny, Captain of QF32, the 380 out of Singapore made a speech in Melbourne two weeks ago at Monash University. It went something like this- a pilots job is routine 95% of the time, its that 5% uncertainty factor when something goes wrong that they are paid and earn their full wage. You name me more than a few other jobs that can unexpectedly present to you a challenge that could potentially result in 100's of fatalities. Not Many- and pay should be allocated accordingly.
Old 19th July 2011, 08:59 PM

This is what a ninemsn article states what some Qantas pilots earn.

Quote:
[Qantas] says its long-haul pilots are among the best paid in the business, with an average Boeing 747 captain earning $350,000 a year while its best paid Airbus A380 captain was on $500,000 a year.