Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

Old 6th March 2009, 04:11 PM

Best landing

Travelling through a storm with lightning all around us in 1997 into OOL. Was on an Ansett 737, very steep landing to hit the deck...

Best takeoff

Newark New Jersey in a A319 in 2006, very long plane 'traffic jam' waiting 75mins to take off... Saw loads of aircraft and then a very long take off roll
Old 6th March 2009, 04:44 PM

Best takeoff: Rocket launch in a 767-300ER off 34R at Sydney for Canberra with only about 70 people on board and probably a hugely derated takeoff too! Check out airliners.net for the visual proof .

Best landing: Jumpseat on QF11 into LAX in 2001. I remember the pilots saying "Southwest 737s are like blowflies around here", seeing Long Beach airport, being alarmed at the water dripping down from the ceilling, and the F/O saying "Buuueatiful!" to compliment the Captain's landing.
Old 6th March 2009, 05:43 PM

Best Takeoff:
American Eagle ERJ145 on a snow laden runway at DCA (Ronald Reagan Washington) in 2005 to New York City. Was a rapid takeoff and steep climbout as per the departures at the said airport.

Best Landing:
Also at DCA :P. Onboard Delta Shuttle 737-200 from Kennedy to DCA- we flew the River Visual approach which is awesome.
Old 6th March 2009, 07:03 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Favourite all time take off was in the jump seat of a Qantas B747-400 out of Honolulu at night. The takeoff was fairly normal, a great view of Honolulu and then straight into the jetwash of a preceeding Air New Zealand B747-400. It felt like the bottom dropped out of the cockpit, quite a violent movenment down and sideways but all over in a few seconds.

My favourite landing was in the Qantas 767 simulator, I did a standard departure from Kai Tak, turning left at the Checkerboard and then climbing out along the hills. About a minute after the turn I was given an engine failure, lots or right rudder to correct the yaw before trimming out and turning back to Kai Tak for the Checkerboard approach. The approach was quite good however touchdown was a little way down the runway and full reverse thrust and braking pulled us up on the paino keys at the bay end. I could hear a tyre or two blow during the braking.
Old 7th March 2009, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Memorable take off:

In January 2009 on a morning departure on a QantasLink 717 from Darwin (DRW) to Cairns (CNS). I was in seat 1A and the view out the left hand side of the Darwin CBD and surrounding ocean in the early morning sun was magnificent. I am a bit disappointed that I didn't have my camera out.

Memorable landing (1):

In 1993 on a Japan Air System MD80 flying from Tokyo Haneda (HND) to Kumamoto (KMJ). We were approaching KMJ in heavy rain and I was in an aisle seat in the rear of the plane on a full flight and couldn't see out the windows so couldn't tell how close we were to actually landing. I remember remembering about an anecdote from a book I read that the safest place in a place is at the rear of an aircraft because you never see planes back into a mountain. At that point we hit the tarmac hard and some of the overhead lockers opened and luggage fell out. It gave me a right old shock!

Memorable landing (2):

In 2000 on a China Northwest flight from Xian (XIY) to Shanghai Hongqiao (SHA). The flight crew were not enforcing the seatbelt rule for landing and there were kids jumping around on their parents' laps and lying on the tops on the seat headrests and jumping around right until landing. I also remember that when we landed, many of the passengers also broke out into applause.

Memorable landing (3):

In 2007 on a Malev Hungarian flight from Varna, Bulgaria (VAR) to Budapest, Hungary (BUD) on a 737-500. The plane was ten minutes ahead of schedule and the pilot asked cabin crew to prepare the cabin for landing while they were still clearing up from the inflight service. The cabin crew virtually ran down the aisle with their trolley picking up what they could and leaving cans and cups with the passengers. They then very quickly stowed the trolleys and ran to their seats. I remember seeing the last flight attendant buckle her seat belt literally five seconds before we landed.
ABQ ABX ACV ADD ADL AKL ALB AMA AMS ANC ARN ATH ATL AUA AUH AUS AVL AVV AZA BCN BDL BFL BGO BGR BHD BHM BHQ BIL BIS BKI BKK BLD BLI BLV BNA BNE BOG BOI BOJ BOS BSB BTR BUF BUD BUR BWI BZE BZN CAI CBR CGK CHC CHS CLE CLT CMH CNS CNX COS CPH CPT CTG CTS CUE CUN CUZ CVG CXF CZM DAL DBO DCA DEN DFW DLH DOH DRW DSM DTW DUD DUR DXB ECP ELP EUG EWR EYW EZE FAI FAR FAT FCA FCO FLG FLL FNL FNT FRA FRS FSD FU'K FWA GCN GDL GDN GEG GGW GIG GJT GOT GRI GRR GRU GSP GTF GUA GVA GYE HAM HAN HBA HBE HEL HHH HKD HKG HLZ HND HNL HOU HRL HSV HVB IAD IAH ICN ICT IDA IND INV ISP IST ITM ITO JAB JAX JFK JNB JNU JOG JTR KEF KGC KIX KMI KMJ KMQ KOA KRK KTN KUL LAS LAX LBB LBE LEJ LFT LGA LGB LHR LIH LIM LIN LRD LST MAD MAF MAO MCI MCO MCT MCY MDE MDT MDW MEL MEM MEX MFE MFR MHU MIA MID MKE MNL MOB MOT MQL MRY MSN MSP MSY MTJ MTY MUC MVD MXP MZT NAN NAS NRT NTL OAG OAK OGG OKA OKC OMA OME ONT OOL ORD OSL OTZ OUI PAE PBG PDX PEK PER PHL PHX PIA PIT PLO PLZ PNH PSC PSG PSP PTY PVD PVG PVR PVU RAP RDD RDM RDU REC REP RIC RIX RNO ROC RSW SAL SAN SAT SAV SBA SBD SBN SBP SCK SCL SDF SDU SEA SFO SGF SGN SGU SHA SHV SIN SIT SJC SJD SJO SJU SLC SMF SMX SNA SOF SSA STL STS SUN SYD SYO SYR TIJ TLL TMW TPA TPE TSV TUL TUS TWF TYS VAR VIE VNO VPS WAW WDH WGA WLG WRG WVB XIY XNA YEG YHM YHZ YKM YOW YQB YQG YQM YTZ YUL YUM YVR YWG YXE YYC YYJ YYT YYZ ZRH

Next Trips:
10-29APR LAS-LAX-SYD-ADL-MEL-ADL-KGC-ADL-MEL-SYD-LAX-LAS AA/QF/VA
02-05MAY LAS-ATL-LIT-LAS WN
11-12MAY LAS-DEN/CYS-DEN-LAS UA
18-19MAY LAS-DFW-BRO/HOU-LAS AA/WN
25-27MAY LAS-GEG/MSO-LAS WN/G4
31MAY-03JUN LAS-JFK-LAS DL/B6
08-09JUN LAS-PDX-LAS AS
21-24JUN LAS-GJT-LAS G4
04-08JUL LAS-SEA-ANC-ADQ-ANC-SEA-LAS AS
17-18AUG LAS-SEA-KTN-SEA-LAS AS
29AUG-03SEP LAS-MSP-TVC-DFW-LAS SY/AA
28-29SEP LAS-DEN-LAS UA
08-11NOV LAS-EWR/BTV-ORD-LAS UA
Old 7th March 2009, 10:35 AM

Best Take Off.

On a Thai A330 departing Phuket for Bangkok. We had started rolling down the runway whilst the crew were still standing for the safety demo.

They quickly ran for their seats, but the safety demo finished after we were airborne! Not sure if that is a flight deck issue (ie taking off with out the cabin crew saying htey had compelted their tasks)

Best Landing

Has to be St Barts in the Caribbean! Coming down that little mountain and having the ater at the other end is pretty cool! Not to mention you can see all the action as it was only a little 6 seater
Old 7th March 2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
A6-EDD Arrival into DXB was a little... rough! It felt (to me at least) and looked with the aid of the tail cam, more than a little off the center line! Almost like those 'drifting' car races!!!
Had one of those this morning on EK404 into MEL, touched down on 16 near the intersection, seemed off centre on the nose cam, and slid a bit from side to side after touching down, thought it was going full length to Kilo at the end, but decided to exit at Julliet.

I still have the impression of the seatbelt buckle on my belly

Anthony T
Old 7th March 2009, 02:50 PM

I'm going to ammend my post with what will be a flight I'll always remember.

This morning aboard a Cessna 152 I conducted my first solo flight and it all felt like it came together perfectly (for a first solo anyway!). I doubt I'll forget it in a hurry.

Dan

04/09/14 QF129 SYD-PVG A333 VH-QPG :: 08/09/14 CX367 PVG-HKG 77W B-KQO :: 13/09/14 QF128 HKG-SYD A388 VH-OQH
29/09/14 QF556 SYD-BNE 763ER VH-OGO :: 30/09/14 QF008 BNE-SYD 744ER VH-OEG
Old 7th March 2009, 04:17 PM
Prolific Member

Congrats on the first solo!
Old 7th March 2009, 09:08 PM

It's hard to forget the first takeoff after I was old enough to remember... that was a TAA/Australian B727 in 1986. It was raining and I remember being disappointed that I wouldn't be able to see much out the window due to the rain. Cue turning onto the runway and that problem being quickly resolved.

Most memorable landing was on 16R in a Qantas 767 with the aircraft only hitting the deck south of General Holmes Drive, followed by a very rough roll down to A6... on a domestic flight, followed by the PA announcement starting with "Ladies and Gentlemen, we have definitely landed in Sydney..."

This is excluding a jump seat take-off from BNE and landing in SYD on VH-EAJ once... not an experience I expect to be having again.