Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10th December 2009, 09:16 PM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Unhappy Farewell Airside Tarmac Tours

Hello all,

It is with great sadness that I share the news, it's time to bid farewell to our friends at Airside Tarmac Tours, Sydney Airport.

I received a rather unfortunate email earlier this week alerting me of the announcement that Airside Tarmac Tours will cease operation as of 30 JUN 2010.
Unfortunately, the continuation of Airside Tarmac Tours at Sydney Airport does not fall within SACL's business plan beyond this date.

Phil McLeod, who was so helpful towards the success of our 2009 Spotting Weekend, is one of the tour guides on the bus, and has kindly notified me in advance of an official announcement to alert our members of the disappointing news.
This is however, also a chance for you to organise another tour before this unique and exciting opportunity is gone forever.

I'd like to take this opportunity to personally thank Airside Tarmac Tours for all their support and friendliness over the past 10 years, and for helping maintain a great relationship between our member base, all aviation enthusiasts and your tours.
Thank you for making it possible to enjoy the amazing experience of being airside.

To Peter Bamford, Ian McManus, Will Tidmarsh (the original crew), and to Frank & Sherrie Monardo and Phil McLeod who head up the operation today, a heartfelt thank you!!
Your knowledge and expertise on the history of Sydney Airport, it's operations, the airlines and movements over the years has been great to experience and has been so valuable. I wish you all the very best for your future endeavours.

You can contact Tarmac Tours on 02 8338 8414.

http://www.airsidetarmactours.com

Memories:

Old 10th December 2009, 09:25 PM

Default tours

Sad to see it go. I went one the tour in 2004 and it was great.

I bet the camera ban was the final nail in the coffin.

My Stuff on the web
http://www.ryanhothersall.net/
Old 11th December 2009, 02:48 AM

Thank you Kurt for reminding of this tour.

I'll be back in Sydney for a few weeks, so I will definitely take the tour for the first, and sadly the last time.

Anyone have up to date info on the cost of it, and how exactly I go about booking a tour?
Old 11th December 2009, 05:28 AM

Thanks for letting us know Kurt - I am sure many board members will make sure we do the tour one more time before the end.

It is a shame SACL didn't support it as much as they could have. There was nothing on their website about it - a little support like that would have spread the word. All the enthusiasts will miss it but I think it is a shame that the groups of school kids I saw on the bus won't get that chance anymore.

It was truly a unique tour considering the security around airports these days. I agree with Ryan though, the camera ban really did affect them.

Thanks to all the team behind it from day one - your passion and enjoyment for your job came out in every tour, I wish I could have that job! Thanks for sharing a different side of the airport not just for enthusiasts, but for people who know nothing about aircraft.
Old 11th December 2009, 04:27 PM

what a shame!

Syd was one of a handful including maybe 2 European airports LSZH? which had a tarmac tour in operation.

one does wonder what the real reason is as whenever ive seen the tours running they are 3/4 full or more..

Either way thanks to everyone involved- Ive done numerous tours before the camera ban and it was absolutely amazing to video the takeoffs/landings and stand by the gen holmes drive overpass as a jet roared over... imagine doing that now with a MEL repositioning A380 flight- would be bliss! Not to be
Old 11th December 2009, 05:35 PM

What disappointing news!

We too did the tour in the days of Ian’s involvement, it was fantastic.

Totally concur with Sarah’s comments.

I will look forward to trying to get another one in before June.

Thank you to all that contributed to this wonderful opportunity.

Well done.

Kind regards,

Geoff

I note I cant get onto their website, anyone know a reason, or are we all doing the same, trying to book something? Thks. G

Last edited by Geoff W; 11th December 2009 at 05:43 PM. Reason: a question after my post
Old 11th December 2009, 08:15 PM

This is very sad news. I think I've been on 5 tours including one birthday party and each one was inspirational for me!
Old 11th December 2009, 08:37 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hothersall View Post
I bet the camera ban was the final nail in the coffin.
Ryan, I'm keen to see how you link this statement with the one in Kurt's original post...

Quote:
Unfortunately, the continuation of Airside Tarmac Tours at Sydney Airport does not fall within SACL's business plan beyond this date.
Sounds like SACL is winding them up, not that they (Airside Tarmac Tours) are volunteerimng to wind the business up.

Sarah, I'm pretty sure the SACL did have reference to the tarmac tours on the homepage for quite some time but I don't know when it got removed. Having said that, I'm not a regular trawler of the site...
Old 11th December 2009, 10:08 PM

Thumbs down Why?

Why should we accept this? If we want it to continue shouldn't we agitate with both Macquarie Airports as well as our local member of Parliament?

I have done this tour twice and my son's school, and numerous primary schools, have this as a well attended annual excursion for year 2 boys. It is an important part of educating the community about how a major airport works and is surely good PR for the airport as well?
Old 12th December 2009, 08:07 AM

I agree with Phil on this one. Why just accept it cos thats what SACL wants to do ?
Are we going to lie down and accept it or stand up and be counted ?

However, on a flip side and I don't know whether this would be a factor or not, but the last tarmac tour I did; the bus stopped and there was commentary going on. He had stopped too close behind a B747 that was about to push back and we were holding them up. We got shifted rather smartly.

Amongst other things, holding up airport operations could be a reason why Airport Tarmac Tours no longer fits into SACLs 'business plan'?
Closed Thread