Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 13th April 2011, 06:37 PM

Default Bicycling to T3

I'm planning to ride my bike to see friends off at T3 in the morning. I'll be coming along the bicycle path along Cooks River thern meeting up with the path along Airport Drive. Opposite the Qanats jet base the path veers off to the left (around where the road become Qantas Drive) and eventually into the streets away from the terminals. Is there path access that follows Qantas Drive around to the intersection with O'Riordan?
Thanks
Old 13th April 2011, 07:25 PM

Steve,
Last time I tried to do that there was much jumping off the bike and carrying it over fences.
It's a fair detour, but following the path until it ends on Coward St, then coming down Bourke Rd and O'Riordan St I thought was the safer option (depending on how much you like riding with traffic down the latter!).

Adam
Old 13th April 2011, 08:31 PM

Thanks Adam,

I couldn't see any clear pathways on satellite shots, so I thought that might be the case. Having an electric bicycle, which is heavier than a regular bike, I'm definitely not into hauling it over barriers!

Steve
Old 14th April 2011, 09:13 AM

Although nto a marked cycleway, many people continue along Qantas Drive onto the footpath, then left into Robey St and right into O'Riordan. Even the marked Coward St cycleway has its problems with dangerous driveways, poor signage and footpaths being dug up.....
Old 15th April 2011, 11:30 PM

Thanks Kent. As it turned out I took a completely different route cutting through south Newtown and Alexandria to the Bourke Road cycleway then through to O'Riordan. I have to say that, although I've ridden bicycles for years, I wasn't prepared to risk the traffic onslaught on O'Riordan so I naughtily (but carefully) used the footpath, crossed Qantas Drive then scooted around the back along Ninth Street. It was a nice feeling, after I had seen my friends off, to untether the bike and ride off rather than part with the $20-$30+ I would have had to pay if I'd driven. The route to T1 is a lot more bicycle friendly so I look forward to riding out there next week to have a look around.
Old 15th April 2011, 11:39 PM

Ahh yes, I used that Bourke Rd cycleway to get to work every day when I was still in Sydney (I lived in Alexandria). They are a good idea, but the execution is lacking a little... those bus shelters with advertising boards blocking the view of the path ahead!!!!

I agree, 'tis a good feeling to unlock the bike and pedal serenely away, past the traffic queues. There were (the last time I cycled there, a year or so ago now) bike racks at T1 outside, near the McDonalds on the lower level (those big hoop things).
Old 17th April 2011, 04:11 PM

Thanks Adam. I'll check out that spot when I ride over to see my sister off to Hong Kong on Wednesday.