Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Trip Reports

Old 21st April 2011, 11:47 AM

Default Trip Report SYD - AKL - SYD EK A380 (Pics and Vids)

Trip Reprot SYD - AKL - SYD 18-20 March 2011

18 March SYD - AKL EK 412 A6-EDC

As I had a bucket load of Skywards Miles about to expire, it was my birthday, I decieded to herad across to Auckland for a weekend of spotting, with a target in mind, ZK-OAB, The All Blacks A320.

In my planning of this short trip, I asked JL if he would like to come with me for the weekend, to experience EK and to also experience the mammoth, A380; both were firsts for him!

Also departing on the same day was NW, although he was travelling on SQ to SIN and onto SGN. Originally, we were to depart first, closely followed by NW, but alals, in typical A3latey style, our inbound flight was delayed so we got to see NW off first!

Arrival at the airport saw us go direct to the First Class Check-in counter, a benifit of Gold Status. Check-in was painless here this morning, and on the bottom of the boarding card was our entrance to The Emitrates Lounge located on the arrivals level just near gates 57-59. Clearing immigration was also somewhat painless, thanks to an Express Card, and we headed straight for the lounge! Entering into the lounge we were officially welcomed by the staff on the front counter and we got some seats close to the window to see the passing traffic. There wasn't that many people in this morning, so it was somewhat all to ourselves, and there was a vast array of food items and drinks available. A pre-departure breakfast was pleasant indeed!

Arrival at Gate 57, we saw a lot of people, including the Flight Crew. I went up and asked if it would be at all possible to visit the Flight Deck upon arrival into AKL, to which they said for sure!

Boarding was easy, Gold Status thank you, and we got to our seat, I was in 50K, whilst JL was infront in 49K (a window each). We taxied out to runway 16R and in no time at all, we were rolling. Due to cloud, there was a little bump here and there, but nothing to bad and we were soon above the clouds. At this point, the cabin supervisor came over an introduced himself to me and welcomed me back... I was asked IF I needed anything to let him know and at the same time he handed me an express card to clear immigration upon arrival into AKL. Nice! Flight time today we were told would be just over 2.5 hours, so we settled back and enjoyed the flight. Breakfast wasn't to far away, and I had the Cheese Omlette, Mushrooms and a Pepper (Capsicum) Sauce. Also on the tray was a Crossiant, Juice and a Fruit Salad.
After breakfast, we went for a walk, and we stood at the very rear of the cabin for a little bit. There was a lovley Scottish lass as a cabin crew we got chatting to, and when asked if it would be possible to have a look in the crew rest area, she happily obliged (but no photos)! It was a cramped little area, I think there was about 9 bunk beds in there, but who cares as long as you're there to sleep, right? It is also only used on the longer DXB/SYD/DXB leg! EK have now also changed the way crew are managed on these flights. When I first flew with them a couple of years ago, crew would fly into SYD and a 24 hour rest, then do the AKL return Shuttle and a 24 hour rest then return to DXB. However, now they have an additional 24 hour rest in AKL!
Our arrival into AKL was through a fair bit of cloud, and was a little rock 'n' roll along the way, and we arrived on 23L with only a small 'thud', however, we also bought the rain with us, and as soon as we arrived at the gate, it POURED down!!! We waitid for almost all passengers to leave, and we got a quick trip upstairs to the First Class area, inluding the s****, and then it was onto the flight deck. Deplaning and clearing immigration was also painless, and before long we were in the arrivals hall looking for Europcar to collect our ride.

AKL Arrival Cloud by AussiePomm, on Flickr

A6-EDC Econ Interior by AussiePomm, on Flickr

A6-EDC Mid Galley by AussiePomm, on Flickr

A6-EDC First Shower by AussiePomm, on Flickr

A380 Left Seat by AussiePomm, (JL took this one) on Flickr

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 21st April 2011, 11:56 AM

Default SYD - AKL - SYD Pt 2

Auckland City and Rotorua

After earlier email discussions with local D Ramsay, I had booked the nearby Bella Vista Express hotel. We dumped bags and then headed straight back to the airport to get acquainted with the spotting area (Puhinui Rd) we saw whilst on short finals. It was an easy location to get to, and offered some great potential which was later proven! BUT, as the rain was still falling, and we had to meet DR for drinks/dinner, we headed back to the hotel.
Shortly, our ride (DR in the ghastly yellow Ford Falcon NOT to be missed) arrived and we were taken into Auckland City for some drinks at the Princess Wharf, before heading to the Angus Steakhouse for some dinner. Now, whilst IN New Zealand, I went for the Rack of Lamb, whilst JL had a 1.3kg steak and DR had an Eye Fillet, but the meals were fantastic! A great night of chatting, food and drinks, thanks DR for your hospitality and for the lift!
Saturday morning was an early wake-up and we hit the restaurant for breakfast, or so we thought... It was a breakfast, of sorts - cereals, coffee/tea and pastries, where's the eggs, bacon etc? So we had a quick bite to eat and then headed for the airport as ZK-OAB was to have a 7am departure! We got to the carpark, and then headed over to the multi-story carpark and set up just in time to see it depart. It was dark still, light was difficult but, I got it all the same... Oh well, I will see what happens I thought!

ZK-OAB by AussiePomm, on Flickr
We then headed across to the Golden Arch's for something a little more substantial (if it ever can be) and then across to Puhinui Rd spotting park. It is a great location with a tiered carpark arrangement and bins for rubbish. About the only thing it is missing is a toilet, but with some bushes just to the rear, that makes up for it! We spotted here almost all day, and there was some great things to get, but by the end of the day, I was SO over anything ANZ!

Spotting NZ744 by AussiePomm, on Flickr

ZK-LGF by AussiePomm, on Flickr

ZK-OAB by AussiePomm, on Flickr

HL7488 by AussiePomm, on Flickr

B-HXJ by AussiePomm, on Flickr

A6-EDD by AussiePomm, on Flickr
We headed back into Auckland City via Parnell (where I've stayed before) in order to get a silhouetted photo of the city skyline with the setting sun. As the large full moon was rising, we headed over the Harbour Bridge so as we could try and get a shot of it over the city, that failed, so we then headed a little north to get a night shot of the city of Auckland.

AKL Sunset by AussiePomm, on Flickr

19032011 Moon AKL by AussiePomm, on Flickr

AKL Night by AussiePomm, on Flickr
After this, it was now getting late, we headed back over to the Auckland Fish Markets for some dinner, and had Chinese, GO FIGURE!! When parking, we wondered if we could afford it as there was four Ferrari's already parked! After dinner, we headed back to the hotel, as it was a day trip to Rotorua in the morning...
Sunday was a fantastic morning, and we hit the road early after checking out. It was to be about a 3 hour drive down, and a coffee stop along the way helped. Arrival into Rotorua was a cool morning, and I got to the visitor center to collect tickets easily enough. The day was to be an adventure day, with the Skyswing and luge rides to be had! Both of which were fantastic!

Jaydens Video SKYSWING

Bernie's video SKYSWING

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 21st April 2011, 11:58 AM

Default SYD _ AKL _ SYD The Return!

AKL - SYD EK413 A6-EDM

Another three hour drive back and we were back into Auckland airport filling up the Hilux with diesel and returning back to Europcar. Checking in was again, quick and easy and with the express immigration counter at the EK check-in desk for First, Business and Skywards GOLD, that was also an easy process! A visit to the Emirates Lounge in Auckland was also a very pleasant experience, but with no windows to look through, a VERY full lounge as well, I found it a little disappointing. Great selections of food/drinks were on hand (of course) but I just found the ambiance a little off-putting! Our flight was called and we headed over to the gate. One of EK's newest A380's was sitting at the gate. This time though, we were to head upstairs for the Business experience, seats 18A for JL and 20A for me! Again, I was welcomed back by the CSM, and we were served pre flight drinks and nuts. Business Class seats were very comfy!

EK A380 20A by AussiePomm, on Flickr

B&C with Nuts by AussiePomm, on Flickr
Menu's were handed out prior to departure and soon we would taxi out to runway 05R for departure. Takeoff roll seemed long, and once airborn, was bumpy until through clouds in the area. Seatbelt signs were soon off and the cabin crew were taking orders for the dinner service. I had the Smoked Salmon Entree, Prawns and Lemongrass Cyrry with Rice and Veges and the White Chocolate Mousse for dessert.

Smoked Salmon Entree by AussiePomm, on Flickr

Prawns Lemongrass Sauce with Rice Veges by AussiePomm, on Flickr

White Chocolate Mousse by AussiePomm, on Flickr
As the sun was now setting, it was time to go to the Bar (as you do on an EK A380 Business Class) for a drink and a chat...

Sunset over the Tasman Sea by AussiePomm, on Flickr

EK A380 Business Bar by AussiePomm, on Flickr
I went back to my seat, another drink, and then I actually got some sleep... Soon though, it was time to start descending into Sydney, and we actually tracked out over the Western Suburbs (over my house) before lining up for a 16R arrival. It was wet, we could see that on the monitors (Tail Cam) and through the window, and it seemed as though we were approaching at a bit of a funny angle... We hit the runway with an almighty THUD, one of, if not the HARDEST landings I have ever experienced...

Deplaning and clearing Immigration, was again relatively painless with an Express Card, and before too long, our ride was waiting to drive us home... All up, a great weekend away, great flights and spotting and great company!
Hope you enjoy the read, the pics/vid, and I hope it wasn't TOO long, sorry if it was!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 21st April 2011, 12:09 PM

great trip report Bernie!!

Jetphotos.net
Airliners.net
Old 21st April 2011, 12:20 PM

Excellent report and pics Bernie, nice to see how the other half live

I was there in May '06 and went to the same spots at AKL. The carpark was under construction and there was a viewing area at the Domestic terminal which (as advised by DR) has since gone. Got many nice pics.

I did a quick Jetconnect trip to a wet Wellington the day before I left.

Bit annoyed on my QF trip to AKL as I got there over 2hrs before departure and couldn't get a window seat with my FF. I later found out that a delayed ANZ flight from LAX (Star Alliance!!) had all their pax filling up seats.

http://www.paggsy.smugmug.com
Old 22nd April 2011, 12:34 PM

Great trip report there Bernie. Thanks so much for sharing. The interior of the A380 is really great. Hopefully I will get to have my first A380 flight soon.

Also those lamb ribs look so tasty. And how about the size of that angus steak!
Old 22nd April 2011, 01:54 PM

Great TR Bernie...that Skyswing looks like good fun! Did you enjoy the lovely smell of Rotorua?

JetPhotos.net (1381 Photos)
Old 22nd April 2011, 03:47 PM

Great report Bernie.

I must say though; my highlight was the swing video. nice one.

Darren
Old 22nd April 2011, 05:33 PM

Awesome trip report Bernie!!! I can say that the A380 was VERY quiet, in fact a bit too quiet for my liking. As for the Sky Swing, just the sheer adrenalin rush is amazing!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Russell D
And how about the size of that angus steak
That steak was huge but I managed to finish it all though!!!
Old 22nd April 2011, 06:32 PM

Read your trip report. Just brilliant and a credit to you on how well documented it was. Thanks heaps.

Dave