Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 4th January 2012, 08:41 AM

Default Singapore Spotting

I'm off to Singapore for a weeks holiday in March, and have looked at the Singapore spotting sites to get a feel where I can shoot from , Apart from the Changi Beach area and the Changi Business Park area, i cant see to much more, One says not to take photos of the taxi ways and airport buildings, but then states you can go into the terminal and shoot through the windows .

Any one have first hand info of where you can , and cant go...

Thanks.....
Old 4th January 2012, 08:34 PM

i spent 7 hours spotting through an airside window at Changi (Airside though), not once was i questioned by security, or asked to leave

John
Old 4th January 2012, 08:53 PM

Thanks John, will dip a toe in the water when i get there, If I get stopped, then so be it..
Old 4th January 2012, 09:15 PM

Great observation deck in T1. Not so good ones in T2 and T3. All are landside and no probs sitting there for hours on end clicking away. Went to Changi Beach a few years back. Spot OK if landing at that end. ABSOLUTELY NO possiblilty of pointing a camera through any of the perimeter fences. Expect a very harsh talking to!!
Old 5th January 2012, 05:22 AM

Thanks Andi.. T-1 it is.
Old 5th January 2012, 06:57 AM

I bought up the same question early last year. I used this forum and also looked on airliners.net at some recent photos and contacted the photographer for spot locations.

T1 is probably the best spot within the terminal. It is through glass and airliners are limited with mostly the LCC utilizing that area, but the shots are quite good. And yes you can spot all day there without any issues.

- agree with John, while waiting for my connected flight, airside where is I got my best shots from.

- Tim Browery( forum member) advised me on a good spot. One of the airport hotels offer a great view of one of the runways. My hotels where all booked so I did not stay there. I think it was the crown plaza?

Good luck, I hope the weather turns out ok for you. It rained quite a bit when I was there, but the good thing is it comes and goes quickly leaving a wet Tarmac for some nice photos.
Old 5th January 2012, 08:38 AM

Hi Tony

Yes, it is the Crowne Plaza. The rooms there are very good and photography is excellent in the morning. For anyone interested, the following rooms are suggested:

7th,8th or 9th floor ending in
*02,*04,*06,*08,*09,*10,*11,*12.

Cheers
Mark
Old 5th January 2012, 08:49 AM

Hi Steve,

I was in Singapore in November and stayed at the Crowne Plaza in rooms 911 and 810 and both were fantastic although I did request those which I'd advise you to do if you stay there. Generally Singapore have storms in the afternoon which means you can take photos there in the afternoon if its overcast and it wont be backlit.

The viewing mall which is accessed by the escalator between the check-in desks in T1, make a left turn past the Sushi/coffee shop(i think) then a right, and you will be able to see the big glass windows which give you a nice view of the apron and the light is good in the afternoon.
Old 5th January 2012, 10:05 PM

I contacted the Singapore airport to get some clear info. here is the reply ...

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your email.

We have been advised that aircraft photography for aviation spotting purposes at the airside tarmac is not allowed.

However, if you are planning to take photos from within the terminal building, you may either do so from the Changi Aviation Gallery located in Terminals 2 and 3 (public areas) or at the Departure/ Transit areas before your flight departs (ie after you've cleared immigration).

Best regards
Julia
CAG Corporate Communications

So now I know, thanks for all the feed back from the group, just have to wait for March now.....
Old 6th January 2012, 08:51 AM

Default Spotting in SIN

Most photographers shoot freely from the T1 viewing deck on the 3rd level of T1. Afternoon storms can be counted on only during the wet season. Usually a/c are badly backlit in the afternoons from Crowne.