Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th March 2009, 12:33 PM

Default Baby born on plane left behind by mum

Quote:
Baby born on plane left behind by mum
By staff writers - NEWS.com.au - March 19, 2009 07:06am

A WOMAN has given birth while flying to New Zealand from Western Samoa but left the baby behind on the plane after it landed in Auckland, authorities said.
An Auckland Airport spokeswoman said it was not known if other passengers and crew on the Pacific Blue flight noticed the woman was in labour and "the baby was found on the aircraft" after landing this morning, NZPA reported.

Police were called when the plane landed shortly before 7am (5am AEDT) and took mother and child to hospital.

They were reported to be in good health, NZPA said.
http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/...014090,00.html
Old 19th March 2009, 02:43 PM

From ONE news
Quote:
A newborn baby found on a plane at Auckland airport may have been abandoned.

The Pacific Blue flight arrived at Auckland from Apia in Samoa at 5.20am Thursday, and the baby's mother was found in the airport shortly after.

Both she and her newborn baby were taken by ambulance to Middlemore Hospital, and both are reported to be doing well.

Police have confirmed to ONE News that the newborn baby was discovered just before 7am after the plane had landed.

A source at the airport has told ONE News that the baby was discovered by a cleaner in a rubbish compartment in one of the plane's toilets.

It appears none of the 150 passengers on the flight, or the plane's crew, were aware the woman had given birth.

The mother is understood to be a 30-year-old Samoan woman.

Pacific Blue has confirmed one of their passengers did give birth on board Flight DJ94 from Apia. The airline also says the mother and child have now been reunited, backing up earlier reports that it is a case of possible abandonment.

Child, Youth and Family has been called in and is involved in determining the future of the baby.

A CYF spokeswoman says they were contacted by Middlemore Hospital.

She says their next step is to determine what is best for the baby, and are working closely with medical professionals, police and the mother.
Old 29th March 2009, 01:22 AM

A bit update:

NZ Police have now formally charged the mother with abandoning the baby girl and assaulting her in-flight.

More details can be viewed at http://en.carnoc.com/list/10/10313.html.

I really think she needs to be dealt with seriously, I cannot believe there really are mothers willing to dump their own baby regardless of any excuse they may have.
Old 29th March 2009, 11:49 AM

Simon, unfortunately there are many physical and emotional issues women suffer during and after pregnancies that make events like this into perspective, most noaatbly pre and post natal depression. A friend of mine, a normal healthy woman, could not bear to see her baby until 3 weeks after birth, due to post natal depression, for which she received treatment and counselling. The person in this story should be assessed to determine if any of these issues are in play and treatment offered before the big stick of the law is whacked around.
Old 29th March 2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian B View Post
Simon, unfortunately there are many physical and emotional issues women suffer during and after pregnancies that make events like this into perspective, most noaatbly pre and post natal depression. A friend of mine, a normal healthy woman, could not bear to see her baby until 3 weeks after birth, due to post natal depression, for which she received treatment and counselling. The person in this story should be assessed to determine if any of these issues are in play and treatment offered before the big stick of the law is whacked around.
I can understand that Adrian, but if she knew it was going to happen, she should have at least seeked assistance from crew members. The way she handled it just makes me think that she did it intentionally and deliberately. Anyway, it's now a court matter...
Old 30th March 2009, 09:46 AM

Question Pregancy travel rules

How was a woman in such an advanced stage of pregnancy allowed to travel? I thought most airlines did not allow pregnant women to travel after about 30 weeks?
Old 30th March 2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon L. View Post
A bit update:

NZ Police have now formally charged the mother with abandoning the baby girl and assaulting her in-flight.

More details can be viewed at http://en.carnoc.com/list/10/10313.html.

I really think she needs to be dealt with seriously, I cannot believe there really are mothers willing to dump their own baby regardless of any excuse they may have.
What, she gives birth, assaults the baby and then leaves her (the baby) on board when she disembarks? That's some instantaneous post natal depression. Frankly, I think the mother has bigger mental problems after reading this...