Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd March 2009, 07:37 PM

Well I am assuming that the unsuspecting travellers who's arrival was met by these thugs had their movements traced at their point of origin which was passed on to those who commenced the attack in T3 upon the travellers exiting the aircraft at Gate 5 (per ABC1 7pm news). Sans weapons it is easy for any individual to get through security....... they have no reason to stop you.

What this does raise is the lack of any "real" security in the terminals at not just Sydney but all around the country. The bulk of security, and that is a term I use most loosely, is unarmed staff contracted to scan passengers and make sure you don't walk into the sterile area via an exit........ and heaven forbid if you park your car for more than the allocated two minute period - you'll experience the wrath of the hired help.

Obviously things like this are few and far between. And quite frankly the alleged events of today, performed in front of mums, dads, kids etc., were a cowardly and unnecessary act with no regard or thought for human life. However a strong police (either NSW or Federal) may have seen more than 4 people arrested and prevented the escape by taxi.

I feel for the innocent bystanders that witnessed today's events and have faith that the occupier of T3 has done all they can to assist them. The impact of witnessing these events on people could be life changing for some and ongoing support will be crucial in their rehabilitation.

And as for those who find these events somewhat trivial and post as such within this thread, take your banter (and patronage) elsewhere...... ASAP.

Last edited by Craig Murray; 22nd March 2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Reference to Macq Airports deleted post clarification of the point raised.
Old 22nd March 2009, 07:40 PM

Question

Considering the image search results for 'bollard' doesn't show much that can easily picked up and swung (they all looked heavy as, or are embedded in the ground - particularly the one shown in the results with a car crashing into it) can someone point out exactly what this guy got bashed with?

http://images.google.com/images?clie...N&hl=en&tab=wi
Thanks

(probably seems stupid, but I'm curious...)
Old 22nd March 2009, 07:57 PM

No such thing as a stupid question Torin. I think the term "bollard" has been used loosely in this instance.

The item in question was more than likely similar to the following item used heavily throughout the check-in concourse areas of airports all around Australia:

Old 22nd March 2009, 07:58 PM

Off topic but security related,

Hobart screening security are SO strict! They ask if you have any aerosols..
Yes I did, they asked to see it, smelt it, and then he asked if it had a lid, I had lost the lid.... so he confiscated my deodorant...

Yet 2 days earlier leaving Melbourne Security didn't bat an eyelid......
Surely security should be uniform across the country?

Also you always see AFP federal police at HBA airport.....

Very strict for a small port.........
Old 22nd March 2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
No such thing as a stupid question Torin. I think the term "bollard" has been used loosely in this instance.

The item in question was more than likely similar to the following item used heavily throughout the check-in concourse areas of airports all around Australia:
How long till these get banned now then?

They are more annoying then anything else. I always seem to hit them with my trolly. I suppose thats the time wasting drinks I always seem to have before flying. They should put bumpers on the trollies, it could save lots of innocent shins and heels.

Most airports don't tend to move the metal bits do they? just undo the rope thing to let people past.
Old 22nd March 2009, 08:09 PM

Greg, my understanding is that an aerosol can travelling onboard an aircraft must have a lid per Australian law, regardless of how large or small the aircraft or the airport the flight originates from. A regrettable $4 loss but warranted under the Dangerous Goods Act.
Old 22nd March 2009, 08:10 PM

What's banning the poles going to do though?

There is nothing stopping you bringing a gun, axe, crowbar or anything really into the check in area.....
Old 22nd March 2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Greg, my understanding is that an aerosol can travelling onboard an aircraft must have a lid per Australian law, regardless of how large or small the aircraft or the airport the flight originates from. A regrettable $4 loss but warranted under the Dangerous Goods Act.
Craig I really don't care about losing tin of deodorant..... I'm more so talking about the difference in 'security levels' between ports.....

You are correct and HBA do everything by the book 100%
My dad says a lot of people whinge about HBA security about how 'picky' they are, but they are mearly following procedure.....

p.s Dad works at HBA as PSM JQ
Old 22nd March 2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Who actually decides what can and cannot go onboard?

For example I tend to take my tripod onboard, it went through Melbourne, Cooly, Darwin and Hobart fine (Melbourne about 5 times) but when I went through Adelaide they would not let me take it through screening.

Is it just the people at the security point at the time interpreting the law however they want?
Old 22nd March 2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg F View Post
What's banning the poles going to do though?

There is nothing stopping you bringing a gun, axe, crowbar or anything really into the check in area.....
Well the airport doesn't have a gun cupboard there for people to go and grab guns from (exaggeration for those who aren't sure). But they do have rows of what people are obviously willing to pick up and bash people with.

There seems to be reactionary measures put into place. They've been picked up and used as a weapon now, so they get banned to stop it happening again even though it's very unlikely.