Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 22nd March 2009, 08:25 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
The spotlight is on you Macquarie, I think we'd like to hear what your response is to this...... I note the Sydney Airport site makes no mention of the events that took place on your property today.
Hey Craig,

I note in the SMH report that
Quote:
Sydney Airport said the matter was now with police so they were unable to comment.
Cheers
Old 22nd March 2009, 08:29 PM

WRT the aerosol can, the lid is there to ensure it doesn't accidently activate and spray all through your bag, where it becomes an inadvertant flammable hazard. Its a Dangerous Goods issue, not a security issue as such (but the security guys are also there to enforce the dangerous goods policies to some extent). The signs in Melbourne state that you have to take all aerosols out of your bag prior to screening, so they don't verbally ask you.

As to what is allowed and not allowed through security, there is some variance on what individual airports (And even shifts at the airport) seem to interpret as inappropriate for taking on board. All you have to do is smile and accept their ruling. If they say no to your tripod, then you just have to go back to check in and have it hold-stowed. My opinion is that you have been lucky to take it through as many times as you have, so consider yourself fortunate when they don't say no

As to the bashing, well, security aren't everywhere to prevent people getting attacked... look at shopping centres amongst thousands of other public places. The whole event would have been over in less than a minute or two once "landside" near the screening. In this case a pylon was used... could have been any non-fixed article really.

This was not a random attack... the perpetrators knew exactly who they were after. This does not make Australian airports unsafe, it wouldn't have mattered where they were, this attack could have happened.
Old 22nd March 2009, 08:40 PM

Couldn't agree more Owen regarding the attack, it could have taken place anywhere and such random events are impossible to police effectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
Quote:
Sydney Airport said the matter was now with police so they were unable to comment
I have edited my original post accordingly mate, thanks for the clarification.
Old 22nd March 2009, 09:13 PM

Wink

Quote:
Greg, my understanding is that an aerosol can travelling onboard an aircraft must have a lid per Australian law, regardless of how large or small the aircraft or the airport the flight originates from. A regrettable $4 loss but warranted under the Dangerous Goods act.
$4 ? Have you seen how much a can of rexona goes for these days ?
Old 22nd March 2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Well I am assuming that the unsuspecting travellers who's arrival was met by these thugs had their movements traced at their point of origin which was passed on to those who commenced the attack in T3 upon the travellers exiting the aircraft at Gate 5 (per ABC1 7pm news).
I think they mentioned Gate 5 later... but the original news report itself is available here:

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200903/r351780_1613917.asx
Old 22nd March 2009, 09:50 PM

I arrived back on a flight around 5pm. Traffic around the airport was chaos. No traffic was permitted on the departures level so the arrivals level was being used for drop offs as well. Traffic was banked back in all directions from the domestic terminal.
Old 23rd March 2009, 06:21 AM

Post Comanchero v Hells Angel update

Here's an update from today's Sydney Morning Herald website:

Quote:

Bikie killed in Sydney Airport brawl
Scene of the attack on a passenger at Sydney QANTAS Domestic Terminal.

A HELLS Angels bikie was killed in a huge brawl at Sydney Airport with rival club the Comanchero, in a brazen attack witnessed by dozens of travellers yesterday afternoon.
The 29-year-old was knocked to the ground during the brawl - involving at least 10 men - and bashed repeatedly in the head with a metal bollard.
The attack took place in terminal three, one of the most secure and monitored public spaces in Australia.
A shocked Premier, Nathan Rees, immediately announced he would meet the Police Commissioner, Andrew Scipione, this morning to discuss tough new anti-bikie legislation.
"I was sickened by this brazen attack. Violence of this nature particularly in front of families and children is nothing short of disgusting," Mr Rees said.
The attack came hours after the Sydney-based Bandidos had been involved in a series of drive-by shootings at six homes in Auburn, though that is believed to be linked to a feud with another club, Notorious.
The Hells Angel was travelling with other interstate bikies who had flown from Adelaide via Melbourne to reinforce the Bandidos' Blacktown chapter in its war with Notorious, underworld sources said.
"Even if there was airport security there was no way they could have intervened. They came across the turnstiles like a tangled mob," a witness, who did not want to be named, said.
"[There was] a man on the ground and a man smashing his head with this silver bollard - there was nothing [security and police] could have done."
Initial police reports suggested the dead man may also have been stabbed.
The brawl is believed to be linked to a feud between the Hells Angels and the Comanchero gang that erupted after the Angels' Petersham clubhouse was bombed last month.
The fight was believed to have been planned and ranged across the terminal, Detective Inspector Peter Williams from Botany Bay police said.
"We have got a lot of cameras and a lot of witnesses," he said.
Four Comanchero members were arrested in a taxi they left the airport in and have each since been charged with one count of affray. They were being kept at separate police stations, following fears of retribution.
A 25-year-old man from Auburn, a 22-year-old man from Casula, a 21-year-old man from Pemalwuy and a 22-year-old Ingleburn man have all been refused bail and are due to face court today.

At least two more men were being sought by police.
Old 23rd March 2009, 07:43 AM

Wow, heavy handed coppers charged them with "affray". That'll do a whole lot of good! Waste of time may as well let them go now.
Old 23rd March 2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
Wow, heavy handed coppers charged them with "affray". That'll do a whole lot of good! Waste of time may as well let them go now.
Charging them now with "affray" will enable them to hold them whilst further investigating the incident. This way, offenders are in custody (thus public is somewhat safe) and hopefully, reduce the possibility of further incidents!

Well done I say to getting these four, whist further investigating who else is involved!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 23rd March 2009, 08:13 AM
Prolific Member

If they were the ones who started all of this, then the police might be using affray as a 'holding' charge until they can sort through the footage before laying a more comprehensive set of charges.

Beat me by 2 minutes Bernie!

Last edited by Nigel C; 23rd March 2009 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Bernie beat me.....this time!