Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th March 2009, 06:56 PM

Default Qantas Questions

I am heading to Cairns in July and I have a few questions about Qantas services

1. What would they serve as a 'refreshment on a flight at 9am out of Canberra?
2. What would they serve as Lunch on Syd-Cairns?
3. In flight entertainment on a 734, what's it like?
4. In flight on a 763, what is it and how is the quality?

The 763 will be my first wide body flight, I am very excited as I have heard these are awesome aircraft to fly in.
29/3/24 QF2078 (TQH)
29/3/24 QF945 (VXA)
17/3/24 QF1268 (X4A)
17/3/24 QF1267 (X4A)
1/3/24 QF1274 (X4A)
1/3/24 QF1269 (X4B)
Old 24th March 2009, 07:29 PM

1. Being a morning flight, refreshment is probably some muffins/biscuits. SYD/CBR is such a quick flight so something small would be sufficent.

2. Lunch would probably be a hot meal. SYD/PER there is a hot meal (choice of two), with a roll, choccies etc. Given the length of the sector, I would say the hot meal would be provided. Usually for the shorter sectors (like SYD/BNE), they give you a sandwich, which are surprisingly good.

3. In flight entertainment is the overhead screens. If you sit by a window you may be able to see the screen - the main "obstruction" is people moving and walking in the aisle. I will assume you have this aircraft for the SYD/CBR sector so you might get the morning news or something like an Andrew Denton 10 minute interview.

4. Depends on the configuration. Some 767's are better than others - international configurations. They are also overhead screens but some of those screens have been recently replaced. You should be able to see the screen easily, even if you are sitting by the window.
Old 24th March 2009, 07:55 PM

anyone know why the former BA 767-336's are entirely confined to domestic flying, not even appearing on trans tasman services like domestic congif 767-338's do?
Old 24th March 2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
I am heading to Cairns in July and I have a few questions about Qantas services

1. What would they serve as a 'refreshment on a flight at 9am out of Canberra?
2. What would they serve as Lunch on Syd-Cairns?
3. In flight entertainment on a 734, what's it like?
4. In flight on a 763, what is it and how is the quality?

The 763 will be my first wide body flight, I am very excited as I have heard these are awesome aircraft to fly in.
Refreshment out of Canberra this month has been a Carman's Muesli Bar, however Byron Bay Cookies, and also Apple Strusel has been served from time to time.

Lunch has been answered, but there is no telling what hot meal you will get.

734 Entertainment is Mainscreen Video and In Seat Audio. Channels can be found in the Australian Way Magazine located in your seat pocket. News AM Edition should be shown, aswell as part of whatever show is on (Can be a talk show, comedy or lifestyle). This month it is Top Gear. If you aircraft does change to a 737-800 the screens are in a more friendly place, they drop from the overhead panel.

767's are a nice aircraft. The Entertainment is once again Mainscreen Video and In Seat Audio. You will probably get a movie shown on that leg.
Old 24th March 2009, 10:39 PM

Zac,

I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Most of your questions have been answered really... I'd just add that the 767 is a fun aircraft (especially for pilots) because they have a lot of power. On a short sector (SYD - CNS does count!) they will usually accelerate and take off fairly quickly, and have a high rate of climb. Good fun for passengers too!

CBR - SYD is a VERY fast flight. The flight attendants will be moving very quickly to get food out and about, so its quite a simple snack. That said, you want to get into it quickly as you don't have much time to eat it either!

SYD - CNS is one of my favourite flights... just the right length. If you can, sit near the wing in a window seat. Compared to the 737 the engines will appear huge, and you'll get a great view of Cairns, one of the most spectacular airports in Australia.

Both the 767 and 737 are basically 'domestic' aircraft, and so don't have the seatback televisions, and so the In Flight Entertainment is fairly standard. There are TV's located throughout the cabin, and you can watch whatever is showing (as others have said, often Top Gear, Two and a Half Men, or something of that ilk). Other audio channels are also available.

Most of all... enjoy Cairns!
Old 25th March 2009, 07:12 AM

Thumbs down Not a 767 fan

I'm sorry to say I don't like 767s. Main reason is the lack of individual air flow control so that window seated pax get a blast of cold air whether they like it or not and aisle pax generally are too warm.

The seat widths are inadequate for a long trip and there are a number of 763s that are poorly configured for screen viewing too unless you are quite a tall person. For example, it is impossible to see more than 50% of any screen from seat 32A in what from memory is OGK, one of the domestic configs of 763.
Old 25th March 2009, 07:38 AM

I may be wrong, but I think the individual air control is only missing on the ex-BA Rolls Royce powered 767's. The GE's have it I believe. Have to blame British Airways for that one! I agree its a bit of a pain though!

Seat widths, well, there are very few airlines that have great seat widths these days unfortunately. For a 3 hour flight to CNS, I'm sure they're fine.
Old 25th March 2009, 08:13 AM

I have done the SYD-CNS many times on the 763. From memory the aircraft were OGI, OGK and OGL. All flights were extremely comfortable and I had no issues with the main screen video. To be honest I was at the window seat each time, and found it much more enjoyable to look out the window and listen to music.

I think on 2 of the 3 flights the aircraft were operating as Australian Airlines I don't know if the configuration has changed much since then.

The 767 is my favourite aircraft to fly so perhaps I am biased but I always enjoy being aboard one.
Old 25th March 2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I may be wrong, but I think the individual air control is only missing on the ex-BA Rolls Royce powered 767's. The GE's have it I believe. Have to blame British Airways for that one!
Figures .. the poms haven't discovered air conditioning either.
Old 25th March 2009, 11:46 AM

You're correct Owen, the ex BA -336's feature ducted a/c and the -338's all feature the traditional "Gasper" individual and adjustable outlets.