Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 7th October 2008, 09:31 AM

Default QF444 Aborted Landing on Monday

Flight number: QF444
Operator: Qantas Airways
To: Sydney Kingsford Smith International Airport
Depart: 15:30 (Scheduled) 15:39 (Actual, missing four passengers)
Arrival: 16:50 (Scheduled) 17:16 (Actual)
Plane Type: Boeing 767-336
Registration number: VH-ZXA
Passenger load: Full in economy

The plane took off heading west in Melbourne. There were some turbulences because of the rain in Melbourne. After that, the whole flight was quite smooth.

The plane did an S curve turn above Royal National Park area. It's quite typical way for landing northbound towards 34L. When I flew SQ in June, the Boeing 777-300ER did the same way. When the plane flew over Cronulla (I could see Caltex oil container there), it started to shake like a pendulum. The pilots adjusted the plane twice, and it became stable. Then the plane descended to land. The two main gears touched the runway (because I heard the loud noise). Around 2-3 seconds later, the engines suddenly accelerated, the plane was pulled off and flew toward Homebush. The captain reported it was caused by strong cross wind. The air traffic control tower change the direction for landing. It did a big U turn in northern suburbs, experienced couple of more cross wind, and finalized a standard landing on 16L.
Old 7th October 2008, 10:24 AM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Default Passengers learn about aborted landings

Hi Danfeng,

This article might be of interest to you.... enjoy.

Quote:
Passengers learn about aborted landings

Aircraft passengers can now learn more about the often misunderstood procedure used by pilots when a planned landing is aborted.

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority has published a new web page answering common questions about 'go-arounds'.

There are more than 800 go-arounds performed by large and small aircraft in Australia each year.

The procedure is safe and routine, although it can surprise passengers as the aircraft puts on power and gains altitude to discontinue a landing.
A go-around will usually mean a delay in landing of 10 to 15 minutes as the aircraft is repositioned for another approach to land.

Go-arounds are performed because pilots are not entirely satisfied that all requirements for a safe landing have been met.

Factors leading to a go-around can be weather related such as visibility, wind and turbulence.

Other reasons for a go-around are potential conflict with other traffic, vehicles or animals on a runway or unsatisfactory aircraft performance or configuration. Aircraft performance or configuration factors include speed, height above ground, rate of descent and the angle or bank of the aircraft.

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority's Michelle Harris says go-arounds are an essential safety procedure.

"Some passengers can be concerned about go-arounds as they are a departure from the normal flight pattern," Ms Harris says.

"However, go-arounds are in fact a safe operation designed to make sure everything is right before a landing is made.

"All pilots are trained in go-arounds from the very start of their flying careers.

"Passengers can now learn all about this safe procedure by simply going to the CASA web site and clicking on the 'Aviation Safety Explained' button."
Visit the new go-around web page:

http://www.casa.gov.au/publicinfo/goaround.htm
-CASA
Old 8th October 2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danfeng Qian View Post
Flight number: QF444
Operator: Qantas Airways
To: Sydney Kingsford Smith International Airport
Depart: 15:30 (Scheduled) 15:39 (Actual, missing four passengers)
Arrival: 16:50 (Scheduled) 17:16 (Actual)
Plane Type: Boeing 767-336
Registration number: VH-ZXA
Passenger load: Full in economy

The plane took off heading west in Melbourne. There were some turbulences because of the rain in Melbourne. After that, the whole flight was quite smooth.

The plane did an S curve turn above Royal National Park area. It's quite typical way for landing northbound towards 34L. When I flew SQ in June, the Boeing 777-300ER did the same way. When the plane flew over Cronulla (I could see Caltex oil container there), it started to shake like a pendulum. The pilots adjusted the plane twice, and it became stable. Then the plane descended to land. The two main gears touched the runway (because I heard the loud noise). Around 2-3 seconds later, the engines suddenly accelerated, the plane was pulled off and flew toward Homebush. The captain reported it was caused by strong cross wind. The air traffic control tower change the direction for landing. It did a big U turn in northern suburbs, experienced couple of more cross wind, and finalized a standard landing on 16L.
I Saw that go around from seat 16F on my Virgin Blue, B737-800, flight from the sunshine coast as we where parking at Bay 39, but you weren’t the only Go around as a Virgin Blue 737-800 did the same on 34R at about the same time due to the wind change.

We got down just before hand on rwy34R (though it was the first time I’ve been in a plane that has used all that RWY to stop before exiting).

Flukey
Old 8th October 2008, 09:22 AM

Rob,

If the pilots took a little longer to settle the plane down due to the wind etc then that would have delayed their braking exercise resulting in them using up more of the runway.

Last year I flew to YBCG on DJ and a similar thing happened, took the pilots forever to get the aircraft onto the pavement and settle it down and by the time we had finished braking we were at the end of the runway at the turning bay.