Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 5th October 2008, 05:34 PM

Default Qantas on line booking system is down

Just trying to manage my booking and seating for a trip tomorrow but the sites are down.
Just rang Qantas and told them and would you believe it...they didn't know.
Old 5th October 2008, 06:06 PM

Its not down right now....
Old 5th October 2008, 06:12 PM

Works fine for me.....
Old 5th October 2008, 06:26 PM

No idea if related, but JQ is having a tough day today with their systems. Caused many Cancellations today, combined with the end of School Holidays today not exactly helping...

Quote:
Jetstar says it is working as quickly as possible to restore all services to normal after its computer check in system crashed today.
The system was hit by a power outage and staff at airports around the country had to check passengers in manually.
Among those facing delays are travellers returning to Queensland, Victoria and the Northern Territory where it is the final day of school holidays.
Jetstar spokeswoman Simone Pregellio says some flights could not take off at their scheduled times.
"Flights this afternoon will be affected obviously because we've had a delay to our aircraft getting out on time because of the system outage," she said.
"But ... we're working very hard to minimise the impact it has.
"There will be some delays to flights this afternoon but it should be back and fully operational by tomorrow."
ABC ONLINE
Old 5th October 2008, 06:44 PM

Just tried again to manage my booking through Qantas but nothing but blank screen.
Once again rang Qantas and lo and behold..their screens are blank as well.
Don't know what is going on.
Unless it because the flight out is with Qantas but return to Bne is with JQ
Old 5th October 2008, 07:58 PM

Finally Qantas has advised me that they have a problem with theirs and Jetstars on-line system.
Friend flying from Mt Isa tomorrow has to do it the old fashion way and check in at airport.
Old 6th October 2008, 02:38 PM

Thumbs down Stop blaming computers

I'm getting a bit sick of people blaming computers when anything goes wrong. It would be a rare event indeed to be genuinely caused by a computer malfunction. Usually it's a human problem and more often than not one caused by accountants who won't spend the money to build in the appropriate degree of redundancy and backup. Imagine if on-board systems were built that way!
Old 7th October 2008, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post
I'm getting a bit sick of people blaming computers when anything goes wrong. It would be a rare event indeed to be genuinely caused by a computer malfunction. Usually it's a human problem and more often than not one caused by accountants who won't spend the money to build in the appropriate degree of redundancy and backup. Imagine if on-board systems were built that way!
Well when you're relying on the systems and redundancy/backup of another company and there is a power outage then there is not much you CAN do.

The Telstra Exchange that hosts a number of Jetstar servers experienced a power outage, which caused the check-in and reservations systems to go down. And JQ was one of a number of Telstra customers affected by this - QF too I gather by what people have said here? Check-in was restored 3 hours later and all other systems were fully restored and backed-up later that night.

So perhaps Philip you can thank god that Telstra don't have anything to do with on-board systems.
Old 7th October 2008, 09:55 AM

The system works great when all things are up and running, and a factor that we as customers have to take for using such convenience is that it will break down once in a while, but most people would rather take the chance and support new methods of timesaving and having an accessible system than revert back to past methods of buying your ticket at the airport, through a travel agent, etc etc etc.

Sure, it sucks when things go wrong (after all, everyone loves a whinge about banks, petrol prices and airlines!), but when things go well you should also be quite grateful!

N
Old 7th October 2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
So perhaps Philip you can thank god that Telstra don't have anything to do with on-board systems.
Hmmm... diversions by voice recognition...

Pilot: "Divert to Melbourne"
Aeroplane: "I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that. Did you say "Vladivostok"?"
Pilot: "No"
Aeroplane: "I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that. Did you say "Timbuktu"?"
Pilot: "Aaaarrrrggghhhh!"
Aeroplane: "I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that..."
Closed Thread