Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 28th February 2022, 09:31 AM

Default Adf aviation assets in natural disasters

I really don't understand !

The two former ARMY Blackhawks that were gifted to the NSW RFS 3-4 years ago to be used transporting firefighters to remote areas still cannot be used as CASA considers these ex military helicopters an unacceptable risk to safety.

Yet MRH-90s are being used to evacuate civilians from flood ravaged areas in QLD and ADF aviation assets were used extensively throughout the 2019/20 bushfires and previous natural disasters.

And I find it ironic that ex U S Army Blackhawks, registered in the U S A and N Z, are being used as firebombers but ex R A N Seahawks which could be converted for such use are hidden away in Belmont N S W gathering dust. And surely some of the recently retired ARMY Blackhawks could have been retained for use as fire bombers as one of the recommendations of the Royal Commission into National Natural Disaster Arrangements stated "....This warrants a reassessment of AustraliaÂ’s current reliance on overseas-based aviation services, and a focus on developing AustraliaÂ’s sovereign aerial firefighting capability....."
Old 28th February 2022, 10:01 AM
Prolific Member

Not sure if this is relevant ...

A ex-RAN Seahawk N24-002 was added to reg on 1/10/19 as XHJ

Plus

VH-UHS UH-60A 80-23475 23/03/2021 AEROTECH AIRCRAFT HOLDINGS
VH-UHG UH-60A 82-23761 06/08/2021 AEROTECH AIRCRAFT HOLDINGS
Old 28th February 2022, 10:11 AM

Thanks Greg.

VH-XHJ was one of the ex RAN Seahawks sold to Skyline Aviation Group of Belmont N S W.
Old 28th February 2022, 10:32 AM
Prolific Member

Bob,

Didn't the same thing happen with the ex-RAN Trackers ?
Old 28th February 2022, 10:44 AM

I think so Greg.

I vaguely recall that there was a proposal to convert them to firebombers as similar aircraft had been used in the USA for years. I think they were stored at West Sale but nothing ever came of the idea (how strange !) and they were been left to rot. At least one was destroyed in the 2019/20 bushfires.
Old 28th February 2022, 11:00 AM
Prolific Member

Ironic, a proposed fire-fight a/c destroyed by a bush fire.
Old 28th February 2022, 12:09 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
I think so Greg.

I vaguely recall that there was a proposal to convert them to firebombers as similar aircraft had been used in the USA for years. I think they were stored at West Sale but nothing ever came of the idea (how strange !) and they were been left to rot. At least one was destroyed in the 2019/20 bushfires.
The trackers were sold to a private company (hookway) with the intent to convert them to fire bombers however the lack of serviceable engines pretty much killed it, so they sat at West Sale since the 90s and were scrapped.
Old 28th February 2022, 12:34 PM

Bob, they want to transport fire fighters, so you need to dig into the relevant legislation to find out why ex military aircraft can't be used. Yes they can be converted into fire bombing under a restricted CofA, but can't transport people.
Old 28th February 2022, 01:14 PM

Thanks Greg ; I've seen photos of the two ex U S Army Blackhawks on the Aussie register. We've had U S and Kiwi registered firebomber Blackhawks operating in W A during the summer.

Yes Brenden, I know that ex Aussie ARMY Blackhawks cannot be used to transport people as CASA considers these ex military helicopters an unacceptable risk to safety as I mentioned in my post.

But why are they allowed to evacuate civilians in times of crisis ? Doesn't CASA consider this risky ? And why is it so hard for Aussie operators to get approval to convert some to fire bombers as distinct from being people transporters ?
Old 28th February 2022, 02:02 PM
Prolific Member

RAAF p8 checking out the flood damage over the sunny coast at present