Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

View Poll Results: Canon or Nikon?
Canon 42 75.00%
Nikon 14 25.00%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st February 2009, 10:43 PM

I have Nikon and Canon cameras. In my opinion in terms of colours Nikon tends to be a bit on the blueish side and Canon on the yellowish side. Canon's colours tend to be closer. A friend of mine who works in a photo printing business told me that colours from Canon are a better.

Having said that I really don't think the difference is really big.
Old 21st February 2009, 11:43 PM

Holden V Ford !!!! Nikon V Canon........

Have a look at the Australian photographic forum. Some great info re both cameras.

http://www.photoforum.com.au/
Old 22nd February 2009, 06:58 AM

Canon....... Ford
Old 22nd February 2009, 07:34 AM

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 22nd February 2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague S View Post
Means nothing.
Old 22nd February 2009, 08:34 AM
Prolific Member

Means Canon!
Old 22nd February 2009, 08:47 AM

Seriously though Darren, although I personally use Canon, it's because I was put onto the brand by our magazine's photohrapher who has used both brands and is now a died in the wool Canon user.

But from what I hear, both brands are pretty much equally excellent. The pros tell me Canon has offered better after-sales service in the past (although $50 for a sensor clean isn't what I would call good after sales service!), but I also hear they have 'restructured' (i.e. significantly downsized!) at Canon North Ryde recently so that it remains to be seen if the service will continue! Canon is also said to produce better lenses, but they haven't released a new L series lens for many years (in my price range anyway!), so I'm sure Nikon has done some catching up.

As Grahame said, I hear the new Nikon D300 is awesome, and I've seen some fantastic results from the D300 from members of this board.

I suggest you establish what features you want from your camera, what lenses you want for it, and then shop around for the best deals on either Canon or Nikon...I doubt you'll be disappointed with either.

That said, I selected Canon in the poll!

Cheers
Old 22nd February 2009, 10:06 AM

Canon - Boeing
Nikon - Airbus

The battle rages for eternity!
Old 22nd February 2009, 10:19 AM

EOS 50D?
D300?

I've started the proverbial spreadsheet.

Soo many hours this morning spent on the Nikon & Canon sites, I think I'll go across the road to the pub for a while.
Old 22nd February 2009, 10:21 AM

I drive the Nikon D300 myself and have no problems in highly recommending it. There are numerous examples around from both types and ultimately it will be what you feel happy and comfortable with.

I must say that it was mentioned earlier that you need to be a photoshop professional to use Nikon. Actually these days I'm finding the reverse is true, as since going to the D300 I find I have to do less to what is coming out of the camera, and even then it is usually just a crop and straighten.

But don't forget the glass. It's the cameras combination with the lens that will decide on how your pictures look. You can have a great camera body, but if you have crappy glass then that will degrade the picture (softness, fringing etc).

It also depends on the photographer themselves. So many people lash out and buy an expensive camera and lens, then don't RTFM and use the camera to its full potential. I guess some people expect the camera to do it all for them.

The best suggestion is to do your research, and to find which camera you are most comfortable with.

Try www.dpreview.com for a good place to start. They have reviews and forums for all the major brands and you can usually find what you want over there.

As a screener on Jetphotos.net I have seen the best and worst of both major brands of camera. There are more factors at play than just the brand, but it's whats going to make you happy that counts.

Whens the BBQ in Brisvegas Muzzdog??

Soon..
No where. Where should I go?