Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

Old 29th September 2009, 09:10 PM

Great news, would be great if something like this happened in Melbourne too.
Old 29th September 2009, 09:27 PM

Great idea and long overdue.
Old 29th September 2009, 09:45 PM

cool .count me in.would love to do it
Old 29th September 2009, 10:04 PM

Scott,

I'm definately intrested. Is the background check the same as the one conducted for an ASIC and if so are current ASIC holders still required be background checked or will an exemption apply. (I know it's early days...)

Feel free to PM me.
Old 29th September 2009, 10:07 PM

Thumbs up Great idea!

I've sent you an email - thanks for organising this, Scott.
Old 29th September 2009, 10:10 PM

Scott, what can I say, this is an amazing idea. I'd definately sign up if it was put in place!!
Old 29th September 2009, 10:31 PM

I'm interested too, count me in!
Old 29th September 2009, 10:36 PM

Default Fantastic Response

Wow! What can I say, I think we've let the genie out of the bottle, I'm surprised just how many emails are starting to filter through. Apologies to those who I've already responded by email, the following is a cut and paste. What the AFP is trying to achieve is to harness the observation skills of 'plane spotters', so that if they saw something or someone who looked out of place around the airport, they could 'observe and report' the matter to police, through the AFP hotline 131 AFP (131237). Those 'plane spotters' who registered with the program would be subject to background police checks (but I'd have to say plane spotters are mostly law abiding citizens anyway). The question of identifying these 'plane spotters' - I had the idea of issuing an ASIC style card, though with the price of an ASIC card around $190, even if it was subsidised to a certain degree, no-one would join. We're working through that one. Overseas programs have hi-viz vests with 'plane-spotter' on the back. I thought I'd like to see some sort of a rewards program such as free airside bus tour of simualtor flight, but from what I can gather what most plane spotters would like is better access - SACL are very keen to see this program take off, so I hope a point I'd be able to negotiate is access to more suitable viewing/photographing points. The idea of Airport Watch in Sydney is gathering pace, and I'm sure if successful, it won't be long before it is rolled out across Australia. I'll keep you posted and try and respond to your emails, for those of you who have responded thank you, if you'r in contact with other plane spotters, spread the word.
Old 29th September 2009, 11:03 PM

Hi Scott,
This sounds like an amazing idea and would love to get some more info on this, feel free to PM me at any time.
QFA464 - 763
...:::My JetPhotos.Net Pics:::...
Old 29th September 2009, 11:14 PM

Something similar for spotters was established in Melbourne more than 3 years ago and I signed up and paid my $20.

However, the ID card was never received as it had to be collected in person which made it a bit difficult as I live in Perth. I joined up as being an ex Melburnian I travel there several times a year so thought the ID card would be useful. No mention was made of the collection in person requirement at the outset so I asked for a refund and am still waiting (ie given up !).

But more importantly, the Aircraft Enthusiasts of W A (AEGWA) led the way with the ID card / Airport Watch idea for Perth airport way back in 1998 (long before 9/11) when I was a committee member. I still have the original ID card and Letter of Authority which were issued in 1998.

Spotters in other states sought AEGWA's assistance when setting up their own groups / airport watches but I'm unaware if any (other than perhaps in Melbourne) were ever established.

And Perth spotters and visiting aircraft enthusiasts could receive some very BIG news shortly.