Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Old 20th April 2008, 12:48 PM

January 2006
MEL-AKL-LAX on NZ
LAX-DEN-ASE on UA

Bags made it to LAX, went through the security point and they were already tagged to ASE.

Had about 4 hours beween the LAX-DEN flight and then 1 hour between the DEN-ASE flight

Sitting on the DEN-ASE flight, it was interesting watching the bags get loaded onto the plane, one person slipping around on the ice, while two other people watched. One person helped for a but, before they decided that enough bags weer loaded so they stopped. We ended up getting pushed back and many bags were left behind.

ASE - Waited and waited for our bags, and 1 out of the 4 turned up. About 1/3 of the flight were missing bags (no surprise there)

Got a "lost bag form" from the UA desk and went back to the hotel, where they gave us a few little things to help us out, like toothbrush etc etc.

Checked my travel insurance documents and as it was now 4 hours after the flight, I was entitled to spend $1400. Of couse $1400 in Aspen, Colorado doesn't go far when the girlfriend is in Ralph Lauren....... Purchased a few ski clothes and other stuff we needed.

Called the 1800 number over the next week probably 50 times, twice we got through to someone in the USA call centre and it was only on those calls that my bags were located.

As 48 hours were now passsed without bags, we could spend another $1400.

One bag came to us on day 3, the other two on day 6!

The cost of me calling the 1800 number and the time spent by the call centre agents on the phone to me would be fairly high. I didn't persue any compensation from UA, and just used my travel insurance.
Old 22nd April 2008, 05:55 PM

January 2007

LGA-YYZ
Flying with AA

After an argument over fare price with a town car driver meant that we were slightly late to check in, this was the scene at La Guardia moments after we joined the check in queue...

Attachment 40

Fortunately gold FF status meant we could use the AA first class check in counter, because the economy lines snaked around the inside and outside of the building, right out where kerbside check-in normally is. It was chaos.

Baggage screening equipment - which at LGA is located in the terminal in front of check in due to a lack of room out the back - had broken down. No bags were being screened, therefore none were being loaded onto aircraft. Somewhere in there are is our luggage.

AA had to rebook every single person in the queue because no-one was able to get to their scheduled flight on time. Our check in rep had a tough time too, because my ticket was a paid J ticket but my wife was travelling on a Round-the-World QF FF award ticket. He virtually had to rebook everything for us - took him nearly an hour.

Eventually got on a flight to YYZ and didn't expect any of our baggage to make it. Miraculously, our 9 month old daughter's gear (portable cot, suitcase and pram) made it on the same flight. Our suitcases didn't arrive for two days, eventually via fedex to the door in the outer suburbs of Toronto.

So a bit of mixed fortune.

03JUL09 PER/MEL QF776 B763 VH-OGJ
10JUL09 MEL/LST QF2285 Q400 VH-QOR
17JUL09 HBA/MEL QF1012 B73H
17JUL09 MEL/PER QF481 332
Old 24th April 2008, 07:19 AM

Have had some bad experiences with BA transiting through terminal 4 at Heathrow from a long haul to short haul - one memorable one was a 4 hour Terminal 4 layover between acft 3 gates apart and the luggage didn't make it.

On a positive note my baggage successfully made it through Heathrow Terminal 5 this afternoon without any issues at all !
Old 24th April 2008, 12:06 PM

Angry

The only issue I have had was with QF domestic, not long after Ansett had folded in late 2001.

I was travelling ADL – MEL – BNE – LRE. My suitcase had been checked for all the way through as it was QF all the way. However, when wandering through the BNE domestic terminal on my way down to the QF link gate 1, I was my case on the carousel doing the rounds! I checked the tag, it quite clearly stated LRE.

I took my bag to the counter and explained what happened. They apologized profusely and sent it on it’s merry way. However, when I arrived in LRE, there was nothing for me there! It came the next day on the next flight.

I wrote a complaint email to QF. In the email I implied that QF had not care factor as they were currently the only national carrier. I made veiled threats of changing to DJ as soon as they were flying the kind of routes that I got around on. It took four months, but I eventually got 2 x $100 Myer vouchers, so I felt placated. It still shouldn’t have happened though.
Old 24th April 2008, 12:40 PM

A couple of years ago, my BIL had moved up to Brisbane to live as part of his work. They moved up there with their two cats, or so they thought...

Upon arrival, (they got there a day earlier to settle the kids in) the cats arrived in seperate cat creates. One got checked ok, whilst the other was "lost" missed the flight they were told. It turned out that the cat was on the same flight, but was sitting out on the tarmac (somewhere, I am not sure where, but was found by DJ ground crew) in full summer sun for a couple of hours before being noticed. Needless to say, the cat was not very well, and was later put to sleep at a local vet without as much as an apology from anyone...

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 26th April 2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Proctor View Post
It turned out that the cat was on the same flight, but was sitting out on the tarmac (somewhere, I am not sure where, but was found by DJ ground crew) in full summer sun for a couple of hours before being noticed.
Shocking story - should really complain to the airline and ask for compensation!!
Old 19th May 2008, 05:26 PM

Post More mishandled baggage last year

SITA Report released last week:

Once again, the past year has seen an increase in the amount of baggage mishandled worldwide. It also brings fresh hope, however, in the shape of new initiatives such as IATA's baggage improvement programme, and signs that the widespread adoption of RFID for baggage is no longer a question of 'if' but 'when'.
SITA's 2008 Baggage Report explores the latest trends in baggage processing and management across the global air transport industry, and reviews the latest available figures for lost and mishandled baggage.

Full report available at:
http://www.airport-technology.com/do...le442/type424/
Old 20th May 2008, 05:20 AM

LHR to AKL BA15/QF 163 10-Apr-08 - I arrived in Auckland for a wedding the next day, but alas no bag with suit. But I had no clothes for the next 24 hours. Air NZ in AKL were great in letting me hire a suit, but no help for anything in the next 24 hours! The bag arrived the next day but to late for the wedding. My bag was in Sydney with no tags as to where it was supposed to go, they tracked me from the name and address tag. Now why they did not look that up ealier with my QF FF number to see what other flights I had booked I will never know, but hey I got it in the end.

Alitalia on the other hand in August 2005, Rome to Dublin, well never seen the bag since.
Old 20th May 2008, 06:56 AM

When I travelled first class from BOS to SJU on AA a couple of years ago to catch a cruise ship they lost all my luggage, so I spent an entire 7 day cruise with no luggage - just living in a pair of Carnival Cruise branded t-shirts and shorts because I was told I would be re-united with my luggage "at the next port". When I returned to San Juan they delivered my luggage to the ship, explaining that it had just missed the flight from BOS and they had had it sitting there since an hour before the cruise ship had left! So my 12 expensive ship to shore calls that were met with a negative answer when I enquired as to its whereabouts were lies designed to avoid AA having to organise for my luggage to meet the ship at any of its 5 ports.

When I checked in to then go to LAX I asked if they could please send one bag to LHR and the other to SYD. The response was "We can't do that, Sir". I said "Why not, you did last time!". Went straight over their head I'm afraid.
Old 20th May 2008, 05:45 PM

Flying DPS-PER 3 years ago with chance of fog on arrival into Perth. So GA imposed a weight restriction and didnt load about half the pax's baggage to save fuel. Bags delivered to house next day after being rerouted through Sydney on a GA DPS-SYD A330 then to QF on a SYD-PER 330 expensive exercise.

Cheers