Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Old 12th April 2008, 08:04 AM

Default Ryanair to ground 20 jets this winter!

Could they be one of the next to go?

Quote:
Ryanair to ground around 20 aircraft this winter
By Vicky Moores

Irish budget carrier Ryanair is planning to ground around 20 aircraft this winter to counter the impact of spiralling fuel costs. Ryanair is embarking on an intensive cost-cutting drive for its 2008-09 financial year as its fuel costs threaten to widen by €300 million ($474.5 million), pushing its profits down by up to 50%.

Speaking during the French Connect Low Cost Forum in Courchevel, Ryanair deputy CEO Michael Cawley warned of tough conditions to come this winter.

He says: “This winter is going to be very difficult. We will put 20 aircraft on the ground for the winter because it’s more profitable. We would just lose a lot of money [operating them], burning fuel.”

The carrier grounded seven of its 40 aircraft at London Stansted during the winter just completed, saying increased airport charges made it more profitable to ground the aircraft during the winter than to operate them.
Old 12th April 2008, 09:45 AM

Does that article mean that Ryan Air have 40 aircraft based at Stansted and of those 40, 7 were grounded, or does it mean of Ryan Airs 40 (total) aircraft 7 of them were grounded and stored at Stansted?

I thought Ryan Air had well over 100 aircraft in their fleet.
Old 12th April 2008, 01:50 PM

I take it they gorunded 7 out of 40 a STN last winter.

They do have a load more than 40 aircraft in their fleet.
Old 12th April 2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Grima View Post
Does that article mean that Ryan Air have 40 aircraft based at Stansted and of those 40, 7 were grounded, or does it mean of Ryan Airs 40 (total) aircraft 7 of them were grounded and stored at Stansted?

They do have a lot more than 40 aircraft, so yes it does mean that 7 of the 40 at Stanstead were grounded.

As to the OP, why do you think they will be the next to go? Looks to me like they are a cleaver business who are parking the aircraft to cut losses rather than fly them. European holiday traffic is very seasonal and indeed we often see aircraft leased to our part of the world during the European winter.
Old 13th April 2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Grima View Post

Mark,
I haven't looked for a while but I believe they were closer to 170-180 currently with around another 150 options. Up here at Boeing Field you often think you're at Stansted with a Ryanair never far away.
Scott.