Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 8th April 2008, 03:48 PM

Default Blackhawkes over CBD

Hey guys,

Just went for a stroll outside and heard a strange noise, walked to get a view of the harbour and CBD and saw 3 (what I think were) Blackhawkes doing laps from the Eastern Subs (SCG/SFS way) over towards the CBD, flying directly over the Navi base at Woolloomoolloo turn right and fly at a very low (approx 200 - 300 feet) altitude north past Bradleys Head where I lost them. However judging by the time it took them to come back into view they were probably only goin up to Middle Head before coming back.

They did this for about 15 - 20 minutes before the three of them shortened their track and just did little laps between Bradleys Head and Middle Head(ish). I watched them for about another 5 minutes before it started to rain and I scammpered up the hill to the safety of my office.

Any ideas what they were doing?

Cheers

M
Old 8th April 2008, 03:55 PM

I think in the Sunday paper they said they were going to be doing training exercises or something , i think. I saw some last night i guess after they finished in the city fly over the Hills around 8 and 10pm.
Old 10th April 2008, 04:23 PM

Apparently they are 171 squadron

Find attached a photo of one (A25-111) stationary over the building on the cnr of Pitt Bathurst (the shadow gives an idea how close they are) . Every time they do these runs they always seem to stop over this building in the same formation.

This shot taken from the 19th floor of a 40 storey building one block away.
Old 11th April 2008, 08:10 PM

Certainly wasn't expecting that.. scared the s*** out of me.. was on L45 at Park Regis at the time.