Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 26th November 2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Garton View Post
Wouldn't the freed up aircraft be going no-where, as these are cutbacks, not re-deployments?
Perhaps the QF ones, but I doubt you'll see a JQ one sitting around.
Old 26th November 2008, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth U View Post
I do think it is a valid point in relation to the comment about the viability of domestic widebody ops.
Go through QF scheduals and tell me how often they are operating a widebody between MEL-SYD then try and convince me every single one of those is full..............the results will be interesting.

I know where Ray is going because I put up with it all the time.
Old 27th November 2008, 08:54 AM

I think most of the capacity cuts are already published:

*A332 replacing A333s on all china routes mean that they reduce seats by around 60 per flight.

*All B744s that operate to LHR now have PE fitted which means around 30 seats less in total per flight compared with 12 months ago.

*PE is being fitted to added to all USA B744 flights over the next 6-12 months meaning reduced capacity.

*2x daily CNS-NRT is cut from next month freeing up 2 B763s which have not been redeployed.

*Last A332 arrives next month and hasnt been deployed so thats "1 A330-200 which will be spare"

*As for the 6 B744s which will be grounded, simple they will be replaced by A380s over the next 18 months.

I dont think we will see any other MAJOR changes.
Old 27th November 2008, 10:56 AM
Prolific Member

Brad i agree .It is all in the wording of the Qantas statement which can be a little ambiguous.Also are the last 743'S apart of all this as not mentioned in statement ??? They are equivalent to a 744 capacity and even more.

I believe the A320 mentioned may come off of BNE-DRW-DPS ??? after march 09 which will release 1 A320 .

Cheers Lloyd
Old 27th November 2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty H View Post
Go through QF scheduals and tell me how often they are operating a widebody between MEL-SYD then try and convince me every single one of those is full..............the results will be interesting.

I know where Ray is going because I put up with it all the time.
As someone who works on the aircraft and routes you speak of I still maintain that widebodies make sense. Until Qantas has some sort of mid-haul (less dense) configuration on their 73Hs I think it should be widebodies only on EC-PER flights.

As for SYD-MEL we have already seen a marked increase in 73Hs (in response to fleet availability and a softening market). Though I think they are being used at the wrong times in some instances. The vast majority of widebodies on SYD-MEL go out with loads too great for the 73Hs. Hence why I think their use in warranted.

You make it seem as if Qantas operates the widebodies out of pride?