Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Trip Reports

Old 21st June 2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Where are the SXM photos/video?
All the photos from SXM will be in the next part. I will try to have that up on Monday. I haven't uploaded any videos yet, I will get around to that next week.

Quote:
Heard girls drink free at the bar for being topless
Yep that's right, noticed a few whilst I was there

Quote:
LA has a lot to do part from the tourist stuff, been recently doing the hike up to the Griffith Observatory then on further up Hollywood mountain. Great place for a sunset, but rather dangerous coming back down at night. Have spotted the odd rattle snake and coyote, but they seem harmless.
We mainly just did the touristy stuff and of course lots of plane spotting. Universal Studios was good. Didn't really like Disney California Adventure, nothing that interested me. Theme parks aren't really my thing.

We did a tour of LA. It took us to Venice Beach, Beverley Hills, Farmers Market and Hollywood. Venice Beach was pretty s***, not a nice place at all in my opinion. Beverley Hills was very nice, very fancy and very expensive. Lots of expensive cars too. The Farmers market was good, didn't look around much though.

Hollywood was pretty disappointing, very crowded and people on the streets constantly coming up to you and trying to get you to take CDs. We were warned by the tour guide that they would try and get you take them making you think they are free and as soon as you do they will ask for money.

Would've liked to have gone to Santa Monica and Malibu.
Old 22nd June 2013, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Giacomin View Post
We mainly just did the touristy stuff and of course lots of plane spotting. Universal Studios was good. Didn't really like Disney California Adventure, nothing that interested me. Theme parks aren't really my thing.
Same here, done Universal so many times, I now only go for events like Halloween Horror Nights. Get the FOL tickets when they go on sale, works out almost the same price as general admission by the time they ramp up prices closer to the date. The designer is on Twitter and does special meet/greet/give aways too

Quote:
We did a tour of LA. It took us to Venice Beach, Beverley Hills, Farmers Market and Hollywood. Venice Beach was pretty s***, not a nice place at all in my opinion. Beverley Hills was very nice, very fancy and very expensive. Lots of expensive cars too. The Farmers market was good, didn't look around much though.
Venice/SM is not nice and rather dangerous with the homeless, not a place I go after dark, hence I stay South Bay past Del Ray Marina, it's almost like a boarder

Quote:
Hollywood was pretty disappointing, very crowded and people on the streets constantly coming up to you and trying to get you to take CDs. We were warned by the tour guide that they would try and get you take them making you think they are free and as soon as you do they will ask for money.
The Walk of Fame AKA Hollywood is more than just Hollywood/Highland, it goes for about 2.5km. Very interesting walk when you see the old names/stars and how the area was a high point, now abandon and shuttered.

LA takes a couple of visits to get use to, took me about 5 visits until it sank in, stay away from tourist area's, hence I split LA into 3 parts, South Bay, Hollywood & The Valley, all are different depending on what you want to do.

These days I just spend my time South Bay, go north (Hollywood) for hikes, stay away from the tourist traps and enjoy LA like a local.

Next time you visit will be better, you have done the bucket list, time to explore the city most tourist never see
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:35 AM

Great report Brandon

The only downside to the In n Out is the constant Southwest 737s - even the special liveries don't excite me. All I can think to myself when the are approaching is 'Boring' (like Homer Simpson)
Old 22nd June 2013, 09:41 PM

Thanks Sarah. Yes the constant Southwest 737 arrivals got very boring! The CRJs and ERJs of Delta, United and American Eagle got pretty boring too! But there were lots of good international movements to make up for it.
Old 25th June 2013, 03:17 AM

Default Nice report

Great report there. I'm a Brisbane local, now living in Portland Oregon for a year or two. LA is an ok place to visit, but after going a few times, yes, there are much nicer places to visit in the US. We go up to Seattle all the time, so Paine Field is becoming a local haunt for me, which is kind of lucky I suppose, although you can spend hours there with hardly a Boeing movement, as you discovered. And your pics of the Air Museum are great, I was kind of shocked how small the seats on the Concorde were, man, that actually didn't look like a comfortable experience. Nice report, it kind of summed up a lot of my time here so far, you did all the right stuff!

Next Trips:
Feb BNE-CBR-BNE, QF
18May BNE-DPS-KUL-PEN-SIN-BNE, VA/AirAsia/QF
05Oct BNE-YVR-PDX-YVR-BNE, AC
Old 25th June 2013, 12:14 PM

Anyone had one of the In n Out burgers? Any good?
Old 25th June 2013, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Great, simple, true old school style American burgers. Kind of a cult following among fast food burgers here in the West.
ABQ ABX ACV ADD ADL AKL ALB AMA AMS ANC ARN ATH ATL AUA AUH AUS AVL AVV AZA BCN BDL BFL BGO BGR BHD BHM BHQ BIL BIS BKI BKK BLD BLI BLV BNA BNE BOG BOI BOJ BOS BSB BTR BUF BUD BUR BWI BZE BZN CAI CBR CGK CHC CHS CLE CLT CMH CNS CNX COS CPH CPT CTG CTS CUE CUN CUZ CVG CXF CZM DAL DBO DCA DEN DFW DLH DOH DRW DSM DTW DUD DUR DXB ECP ELP EUG EWR EYW EZE FAI FAR FAT FCA FCO FLG FLL FNL FNT FRA FRS FSD FU'K FWA GCN GDL GDN GEG GGW GIG GJT GOT GRI GRR GRU GSP GTF GUA GVA GYE HAM HAN HBA HBE HEL HHH HKD HKG HLZ HND HNL HOU HRL HSV HVB IAD IAH ICN ICT IDA IND INV ISP IST ITM ITO JAB JAX JFK JNB JNU JOG JTR KEF KGC KIX KMI KMJ KMQ KOA KRK KTN KUL LAS LAX LBB LBE LEJ LFT LGA LGB LHR LIH LIM LIN LRD LST MAD MAF MAO MCI MCO MCT MCY MDE MDT MDW MEL MEM MEX MFE MFR MHU MIA MID MKE MNL MOB MOT MQL MRY MSN MSP MSY MTJ MTY MUC MVD MXP MZT NAN NAS NRT NTL OAG OAK OGG OKA OKC OMA OME ONT OOL ORD OSL OTZ OUI PAE PBG PDX PEK PER PHL PHX PIA PIT PLO PLZ PNH PSC PSG PSP PTY PVD PVG PVR PVU RAP RDD RDM RDU REC REP RIC RIX RNO ROC RSW SAL SAN SAT SAV SBA SBD SBN SBP SCK SCL SDF SDU SEA SFO SGF SGN SGU SHA SHV SIN SIT SJC SJD SJO SJU SLC SMF SMX SNA SOF SSA STL STS SUN SYD SYO SYR TIJ TLL TMW TPA TPE TSV TUL TUS TWF TYS VAR VIE VNO VPS WAW WDH WGA WLG WRG WVB XIY XNA YEG YHM YHZ YKM YOW YQB YQG YQM YTZ YUL YUM YVR YWG YXE YYC YYJ YYT YYZ ZRH

Next Trips:
29-31MAR LAS-ANC/FAI-ANC-LAS AS
08-09APR LAS-SNA-LAS WN
10-29APR LAS-LAX-SYD-ADL-MEL-ADL-KGC-ADL-MEL-SYD-LAX-LAS AA/QF/VA
02-05MAY LAS-ATL-LIT-LAS WN
11-12MAY LAS-DEN/CYS-DEN-LAS UA
18-19MAY LAS-DFW-BRO/HOU-LAS AA/WN
25-27MAY LAS-GEG/MSO-LAS WN/G4
08-09JUN LAS-PDX-LAS AS
21-24JUN LAS-GJT-LAS G4
04-08JUL LAS-SEA-ANC-ADQ-ANC-SEA-LAS AS
17-18AUG LAS-SEA-KTN-SEA-LAS AS
29AUG-03SEP LAS-MSP-TVC-DFW-LAS SY/AA
28-29SEP LAS-DEN-LAS UA
08-11NOV LAS-EWR/BTV-ORD-LAS UA
Old 25th June 2013, 02:24 PM

The burgers at In-N-Out were nice, but nothing special.