Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Old 28th March 2008, 04:58 PM

Hmm 2nd time for a fuel pump issue. I wonder when SKC will get this problem.
Old 29th March 2008, 03:26 AM

Well folks, just look back and remember how the 747 behaved the first months in full service........
Old 29th March 2008, 05:49 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameel Kumar View Post
Apart from the fuel-pump issues, the only other 'problems' I've heard so far are the dirtiness of the first A380 during the first few weeks of service, and also the quietness of the cabin meaning passengers can hear the aircraft's plumbing at work.
They also have a brake cooling issue that can affect short turnarounds, which is why they prefer to use the more length of the runway on arrival into Sydney (compared to saya a B747) rather than jam on the anchors and use the rapid exits.
Old 29th March 2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle Q View Post
Well folks, just look back and remember how the 747 behaved the first months in full service........
Can't say I was around way back then... Maybe some of the more "senior" members of the board can enlighten the less senior members

Old 29th March 2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
They also have a brake cooling issue that can affect short turnarounds, which is why they prefer to use the more length of the runway on arrival into Sydney (compared to saya a B747) rather than jam on the anchors and use the rapid exits.
Thanks for that Nigel.
Also, is there a reason why the A380 taxi's so increadibly slow once it has pushed-back from its gate? I was out there the other day and was amazed/perplexed as to why it was moving at snails-pace compared to other taxiing aircraft.

Quote:
Weren't those issues related solely to the PW JT-9D's being underpowered as a result of the 747 being heavier than initially planned? ...or were there other niggling problems for the 747-100 much like the A380 is experiencing now?
Old 29th March 2008, 08:00 AM

2 aircraft have been grounded 3 times since it's start of operation:

SKA grounded in Singapore once (twice if you include the grass incident) because of fuel pump problem and once in Sydney which caused it to overnight. The incident in Singapore was rescued by the 747 and the incident in Sydney was rescued by the other flights and SKB the next day.

SKC grounded in Singaproe due to the fuel pump problem recently.

SKB hasn't been grounded due to any problem as yet.

I think the media don't realise that the A380 is still a brand new aircraft and any chance they get to give it a bad wrap they will. Overall the reliability of the aircraft is amazing, SKA operating everyday from October to January with it grounding twice is pretty good. Sydney is the route to delay or postpone if any problems do arise because London in all seriousness would make more money than Sydney would.

I bet you the media will have the same coverage if a 787 is grounded for the first time and then again if it happens.

Alex.
Old 29th March 2008, 08:50 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Thanks for that Nigel.
Also, is there a reason why the A380 taxi's so increadibly slow once it has pushed-back from its gate? I was out there the other day and was amazed/perplexed as to why it was moving at snails-pace compared to other taxiing aircraft.
You'd have to ask an A380 jockey for that one...
Old 29th March 2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Possibly because of the brake cooling problem - brakes can get quite hot on a long taxi.

It's my understanding that SVA had some down-time to get its brake problem fixed after SKB arrived. Not sure is B and C were delivered with the fix or have had/will get their fix too.

BTW Shameel - did you see your 380 pic in the magazine last month? Came up well huh?
Old 29th March 2008, 09:18 AM
Prolific Member

I saw my pic in the magazine of Transaero last month...where's the credit?!

You guys credited SACL, but not me!

Never again!
Old 29th March 2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McLaughlin View Post
BTW Shameel - did you see your 380 pic in the magazine last month? Came up well huh?
Unfortunately I just got back from the States a couple of weeks ago, so I was unable to get a copy of last month's issue. Actually I didn't even know that you guys had accepted the photo to be in the mag' ... but awesome news to hear my photo was included!

Is there any way I could get a copy from you Andrew? ... or do you think that last month's issue would still be at some Newsagencies ? ... I'd really love to get a copy to see how my photo turned out...and to use that as a trophy-example of how a non-DSLR can still take great shots.

Last edited by Shameel Kumar; 29th March 2008 at 10:03 AM.